F1 Islander released - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: F1 Islander released

Snave
    Quote Originally Posted by tigisfat View Post
    Many developers produce aircraft which are then sold and/or marketed by others. It's happened for a long time. I think all three acceleration aircraft were phenomenal, and I give full credit to the developers that made them, such as Captainsim, FSDreamteam and a few others. Milviz has done VC and exterior modelling on many of our popular military titles. Half the time, you didn't hear about it because it was developer 'x's' product.

It happens all the time. :ernae:
    My concern is not so much with who made it, but how well they did, how they intend to support it... and what this means for Alphasim who have been in a self-declared bit of a rut for some time as a result of the GFC. If this aircraft is not helping to fill their depleted coffers, what prospects are there for patches/new models from the developer?

The sudden, unexpected, unannounced arrival of a `new` developer name on this product, after the recent posts in the Alphasim website, give rise to a suspicion that Alphasim now exist in name only, in which case this breakaway operation really ought to act to distance itself from Alphasim by issuing a firm, definitive statement.

If however Virtavia is simply a company of convenience, formed expressly to negotiate the quagmire of ownership of the Islander project then why was it kept secret? And why not simply release the project under the wholly `Flight One` banner? - F1 have utilised outside contractors for `own name` products successfully in the past...

This is not Alphasim-bashing,. i don't give a tinkers cuss whether they cease to be or go on to create the greatest achievement in the history of sim-dom.

I would like a definitive statement of ownership for the BN-2 Islander project, as if it IS a project of a developer on their last legs, then there is little point asking for corrections, patches and improvements, and I can make use of the 30-day refund guarantee from Flight One as the enjoyment of this aircraft is being impeded by these piddling little faults that should never have got out of the beta test. Which is a real shame as overall this baby has potential! If Virtavia are a genuine `new player in town` then cutting them some slack while they iron out the bugs in their debut might be prudent, providing they can lay claim to the code and the project and show they own it...

Islander

Hello friends.The islander is outstanding.I hope someone will do repaints with american reg no.There's an outfit at lake hood in alaska called,Servant Air they use islanders.Again outstanding work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    I hope to get it this weekend and do some proper Island hopping. Any recommendations for Island scenery?
    The Tuvalu?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I hope to get it this weekend and do some proper Island hopping. Any recommendations for Island scenery?

Bill
    Dare I mention Lady Elliot Island by me?

Seair pacific operate one to Lady Elliot Island (as well as a couple of Twin Otters and a caravan) with flights from the Gold Coast, Hervey Bay and Bundaberg (that's convenient, I've done Bundaberg as well).

http://www.seairpacific.com.au/chart...nIslander.html

Does anyone know if the Islander will be on sale at the Flight1 stand at the Flight Sim Convention (Weston-Super-Mare) this weekend? I doubt they've got it onto CD/DVD so early, but thought it'd be worth asking here, in case anyone is in the know...

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

No longer active
    Quote Originally Posted by Snave View Post
    I'm already a member of sufficient numbers of beta test teams, thanks.
    Maybe you should rethink your participation, because it's YOU who accuses Carenado and other designers of stealing airfiles, or parts thereof.
    By doing that and badmouthing a plane that's out since just a few hours you are successfully keeping potential designers from helping make better products.
    Luckily you seem to be the only one in case of the Islander

Charter Member 2015
    Any recommendations for Island scenery?

Bill

Earth Simulations Alderney or Isles of Scilly

Aerosoft HelgolandX

Hope someone does an Aer Arann repaint of the Islander at some point in the future.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Very nicely done addon, a pleasure to fly.
    Tom

On Another Planet
    The plane just came out and there are already conspiracy theories? I guess you shouldn't expect much different from some people though :salute:

Seriously, it's not that big of a deal. If you don't like it, don't buy it. And if you are unsure, buy it and try it out. Flight1 allows refunds. It was developed for the most part by Alphasim and then marketed through Flight1 and this other company. What part of that is hard to understand?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click my sig for my Flickr

By all accounts, this has become a successful return for AlphaSim and Co. despite the contentions at the start that. . ."the window curvature is wrong the wings are too thick and the engines are out of proportion".

Gee, where is Lima_15 when you really need him, lol.

This one will have to grow on me first though before I take the plunge. I have plenty of GA aircraft, I don't do a lot of the type of flying this airplane is meant to do and the price is a bit steep for me at this point. I still think it's a really nicely done aircraft and who knows. . . .:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Hi Guys

Bought the Islander this morning

well worth the money.
    Only problems i can see are a few untextured polys on the Oil cooler inlet ducts but only on the VC model & a couple of odd polys on the upper combing soft trim but nothing bad.
    Superb job as far as i can see and i am fussy.

Looks like an Islander & sounds like an Islander (probably flies like one too but not got that far yet).

Top Job Danno

If the windows are wrong I don't really care as i would rather fly it than compare it to a photo just to pick at it.

Well done Anyway
    Regards
    Rick

Lightbulb

Daniel Dunn (primary designer) is no longer associated with AlphaSim....As you can see by this release, he's now separated...

Quote Originally Posted by Snave View Post
    Super, so to ensure they/you get the credit they/you think they deserve, why:
    1: Is there NO MENTION AT ALL for ALPHASIM in ANY of the supporting documentation..?
    2: Not a single reference in a 52 page manual?
    3: Does it install not as an ALPHA... folder name but `Flight One BN-2 Islander`?
    4: is it specifically referred to as `Virtavia BN-2B Britten Norman Islander (FSX only` in the aircraft .cfg?
    and
    5: when I run the EULA, there is no reference whatsoever to Alphasim?

Curious, yes?

So I don't want to rain on anybody's parade or seek a private spat made public, but WTF is going on with Alphasim?
    As you wish, I really have no energy left to try and convince you (or any one else) other wise and personally don't give a hoot about the politics you seem so concerned about, you like it or you don't, luckily, Flight 1 offer your money back, Alphasim never did so maybe thats one good thing that came out of the partnership.

I believe Virtavia is Dan's fledgling company and being as Dan made 90% of the aircraft then thats probably where that comes from, and being as Dan used to work at Alphasim and thats where 90% of the aircraft was made during Alphasim employment, I suppose its only fair that both are a credited to its inception.

But I may be completely wrong, don't work there any more, don't care and best of all not bouncing off the walls trying to find out either.

I humbly suggest you get your money back, if for nothing else than your stress levels, and I recommend you don't wait for an explanation with bated breath, you'll just end up turning a funny shade of purple.

My only association with the Islander is that I used to work at Alphasim and happen to know the modeler reasonably well.

That, as far as I'm concerned is the closure of this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by michael davies View Post
    That, as far as I'm concerned is the closure of this matter.
    If I were a betting man... :d
    Cheers,

Nick

(screenshotartist - long gone)

Members who have read this thread: 0