Boeing Blended Wing; Can This Be Right?

Thread: Boeing Blended Wing; Can This Be Right?

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!

Boeing Blended Wing; Can This Be Right?

Hey all,

A friend of mine wants a Boeing Blended Wing for FS2004. There are versions in FS2000/2002, and FSX, but none for FS9. I wondered if I could make the basics of the shape and before I knew it, I had the rough outline.

I found dimensions on it, 289 feet wingspan. I added some Trent Rolls Royce engines, made them per scale on the blueprint I found (all of the 3Views found were all different from each other, ailerons in diff places, etc).

So, I compiled a MDL file and threw it in ole FS9 and this is what it looks like.

I parked the giant enigma up next a 737 and I felt maybe it wasnt right.. I then parked it by a 747 and then it looked reasonable.

Can this thing really be this big?

When you see it in drawings, it looks like a rock with wings, but in FS, it looks like a beautiful glider with cans on its back. Put the engines in that wing and that thing would be one sleek Mach1 glider, lol....

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

If I recall correctly, it was intended to be an ultra-long range (possibly sub-orbital) airliner? If so, my guess would be that it looks about right.

SOH-CM-2014
    Ahhh... Well if it were sub-orbital, it would have good lift up there in the thin air. It is a huge lifting device, lol...

If it had smaller wings and several scram jets, that would be one wild looking thing...

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Bill can we have it? i love the BWB, and yeah that scale looks about right... i love the design, then again i do love flying wings/Lifting Bodies

I can remember seeing the show as to why this was dropped, it was the fact it could not be evacuated in the timescale set by the FAA or whoever does that test, the people in the center of the main body just had no where to go to get out of it while those near the edges had all the exits!

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    Bill can we have it? i love the BWB, and yeah that scale looks about right... i love the design, then again i do love flying wings/Lifting Bodies
    Yep. Just have to finish it. It will not be anything detailed though.

I can remember seeing the show as to why this was dropped, it was the fact it could not be evacuated in the timescale set by the FAA or whoever does that test, the people in the center of the main body just had no where to go to get out of it while those near the edges had all the exits!

eter12213
    Easy... Just have escape pods for the people in the center. They jump into burn proof compartment pods, they lift out through the top and slides down the back like a car or sled... wooo hooo! Didnt they watch Star Trek?

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Pity the passengers on the far edges when the thing banks!

It was on the cover of pop-sci or pop-mecanics, but it was massive. The project ran into a few problems.

#1, size. With wings that big, how does it pull up too the jetway?

#2, passanger comfort. 90% of the passangers would be far away from a window. Passangers gain a sense of comfort from having a window.

#3, motion sickness. A good portion of the passangers would be out away from the center of rotation. So if the aircraft banked, one side of the aircraft would have the passangers lower, and the other, the passangers would raise up, instead of just rotating. This created motion sickness, plus add #2, made people very ill.

It was a sub-sonic design by nature and would travle at the same altitude as normal passanger jets. Think of it as a giant B-2 Spirit, not some special superjet. Flying wings CANT go super.

Im sure you can get some good referances if you find that issuee of pop-sci or pop-mecanics from a few years back.

I did some looking for you.

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/articl...nic-spaceships
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Hey all,

A friend of mine wants a Boeing Blended Wing for FS2004. There are versions in FS2000/2002, and FSX, but none for FS9. I wondered if I could make the basics of the shape and before I knew it, I had the rough outline.

I found dimensions on it, 289 feet wingspan. I added some Trent Rolls Royce engines, made them per scale on the blueprint I found (all of the 3Views found were all different from each other, ailerons in diff places, etc).

So, I compiled a MDL file and threw it in ole FS9 and this is what it looks like.

I parked the giant enigma up next a 737 and I felt maybe it wasnt right.. I then parked it by a 747 and then it looked reasonable.

Can this thing really be this big?

When you see it in drawings, it looks like a rock with wings, but in FS, it looks like a beautiful glider with cans on its back. Put the engines in that wing and that thing would be one sleek Mach1 glider, lol....

Bill
    That looks correct. I don't think anyone really grasped how big the BWB would be.

-G-
    Visit my website www.scale-aviation.com

tigisfat
    The 737 really is small. Compare the sizes of a 747-400 with a 737-200, and the difference is remarkable. Even comparing a 737-800 with a 737-200 is noteworthy.

:salute:

There are actually many variation of this design, as one of the difficult approaches to the design was how to make it scalable. It looks like you modeled the largest version. Most of the studies and the ones likely to be built first are more medium sized twin engine variations. I have some drawings of the medium sized ones that would be used to replace the 757/767, and there are tanker and cargo variants of it as well.

Although I do have drawings for another variant that uses ten engines. But it is actually small, about 737 sized. The engines are semi-recessed in the upper surface near the trailing edge and obviously distributed along the span. This was done to reduce noise and increase efficiency. Having all of those small engines helps suck off the boundary layer and keep a lot of the upper surface flow laminar.

Also, this design has not been dropped and development continues. An unmanned subscale demonstrator has been flying at Edwards and they are also working on more improvements for testing.

Bill, could we get this for FSX? I think it would be a big hit round here!
    "If three-holers are gas guzzlers, why are there four-holers now???"
    "But what do i know? I'm just the 800 pound guerrilla in the room."

Fire! Fire! Your pants better not be on fire....