Blurry textures

Thread: Blurry textures

Blurry textures

My FSD C-17 odessy continues...

With Wild Bill Kelso's (Marcus) suggestion, I have found the bmp files for the fuselage of the C-17 from the project opensky C-17 Altus repaint

After using DXTbmp to convert them to DTX3 bmp files, the right fuselage looks fine but the left one is blurry beyond belief.

Attachment 7402Attachment 7403Attachment 7405Attachment 7404

Help is appreciated.

I don't have this a/c but have dealt with the same issue.

First thing I would do is look for any textures that were overlooked. Open the texture directory and sort by size. Any that are 4,097 KB in size, ending with T.bmp are usually those that still need to be converted. On my old machine and video card, these can be converted to DXT3 format which brings the size down toe 1024 kb.

As a caution, make sure you always make a backup before converting and make sure you test things out before deleting your backup.

--WH

That looks like a case of mip maps to me. IN DXtbmp, to the right side there is an are titled mip maps with two check boxed under it. Make sure there are no checks in those boxes. Resave the file without mip maps and see if that clears it up.

Also, DXT3 format compresses the image and reduces the clarity and sharpness. I use Extended 32 bit 888 format for FS9 textures. a 1024 by 1024 file in 32 bit 888 comes out at 4 meg...which is 4 times the size of a DXT3 file of equal measurements...but the clarity is much better.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Obio, you are the man. I recently rebuilt my system, and when I installed DXT bmp apparently it had one of the boxes ticked. I was pulling my hair out last night trying to understand what I had done wrong and getting very worried. Then I found this post and all is now well - boxes un ticked and back to normal! Good old SOH forum

Steven Beeny, FS repainter and modeller.

New EE/BAC Canberra series for FS2004 starting October 2010. See www.flyingstations.com for details.
    Watch the new Canberra promo video here: http://youtu.be/m3rWTivCupg

Members who have read this thread: 1