F7F Tigercat SOH Project - Page 2
Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 123456789101252 ... LastLast

Thread: F7F Tigercat SOH Project

Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    Watching a master at work is just awe inspiring. Thank you for letting us look over your shoulder, so to speak.
    You are too kind Sir ... this is simply a labor of love.

We now have a round tail for the -1.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Milton,....I have a couple of questions: How does one...such as you,....take the given actual dimensions of the real aircraft and then translate/draft them down to exact scale the aircraft you're designing?
    -What program do you use to 'downscale' without loosing the actual dimensions?
    -Is there a bit of 'trial and error' when reconstructing?
    -When do you know the aircraft you're designing is 'spot on' in scale proportion and realism?
    -Are there times where you have to fudge certain parts of the fuselage (let's say) since there's no given dimension information given? In other words,...sometimes you might have to use the 'eyeball' method in order to get the aircraft correct.

..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

Since this is a simulator aircraft, it uses real world dimensions as opposed to a scale aircraft such as a 1:48 or some such. Milton can probably give a good dissertation on how he makes measurements off of the various drawings to translate into the three dimensional portions of the model. Even very small divergences can make the shape look wrong! A real art!

Cheers: T

Quote Originally Posted by brad kaste View Post
    Milton,....I have a couple of questions: How does one...such as you,....take the given actual dimensions of the real aircraft and then translate/draft them down to exact scale the aircraft you're designing?

Brad, see attachment for an example 3-view drawing with dimensions.

Tom has it right. We model to real world dimensions.

Once you have proper 3-views (unlike the attached), you set the views up all scaled to the same L,W,H per inch/meter/pixel.

Then in the design program, (I use gmax) you setup a calibration box the exact dimensions of the aircraft (L,W,H). Once done, you apply mapping and place the 3-views on the sides of the calibration box. Once done, you have 3-views of the aircraft in real world dimensions.

-What program do you use to 'downscale' without loosing the actual dimensions? N/A

-Is there a bit of 'trial and error' when reconstructing? N/A

-When do you know the aircraft you're designing is 'spot on' in scale proportion and realism? The model is built to match the 3-views that are to real world dimensions. Spot on is too precise unless you have dimensions of every part on the aircraft; no one goes to that extent to my knowledge. 99% of the parts are built to the 3-views, or are "proportioned" in the VC by sight and verified in all angles against other things with regard to positioning, size, shape (somewhat of an an art). Unless you have the real aircraft at your fingertips, you do not have a lot of options available to you.

-Are there times where you have to fudge certain parts of the fuselage (let's say) since there's no given dimension information given? In other words,...sometimes you might have to use the 'eyeball' method in order to get the aircraft correct. Yes, as described previously.

Unfortunately, the eyeball method is very important as is the artistic value applied since few have the luxury of the real aircraft available to them. That is why I require so many reference pictures before I start a project. You can never have enough to substitute for being able to lay hands on or to measure,

Hope this answers the questions.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

"Hope this answers the questions."

Thanks Milton,...it has.
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

Progress for the evening is getting the basic horizontal stabilizers shaped and built. Tweaking to come later afterwhich the elevators and trim tabs are modeled.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Empennage done
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

That's looking very good Mr. Shupe!

Thanks for keeping us updated! :ernae:

Pretty soon will have something to start flying around.

T

You work fast Milton , yes, thanks for the progress report ...

Mike :salute:

Really beautiful work there, Milton - a perfect example of mindful modeling!
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Well, thank you Gentlemen.

I hope to have the wings done this week and be working on the main gear and nacelles over the weekend.

EDIT: Well, good progress on the wings tonight.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hoooo whee! That is looking sweet!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

members+
    Fighter Fanatic
    Just like the A-26, it's soo exciting to see something great take shape. It looks spectacular so far, and this is just the tiny tip of a great iceberg! :ernae:
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10
    Dedicated SSD for FSX:SE

Never seen one in the NZ .. but many years ago , we had a series of Books 'Purnel,s History of WWII , this i based the types in the Pacific that would kick butt and win a War ... Korean maybe
    .. Superb Model Build :salute:

hubba-hubba Milton! what a good looker.....

I got next to the F7F at Historic Flight two weekends past. It's in perfect flying condition, and painted like a navyblue show-car. My overall impression: it's a HUGE plane. Got a couple snaps, but theyre mostly rivet pattern close ups.:-)

Great, Milton..when ya have a beat ready I'd certainly volunteer for some testing...mid
    There are 2 constants in the universe:
    Hydrogen and stupidity!

Quote Originally Posted by bpfowler View Post

I got next to the F7F at Historic Flight two weekends past. It's in perfect flying condition, and painted like a navyblue show-car. My overall impression: it's a HUGE plane. Got a couple snaps, but theyre mostly rivet pattern close ups.:-)
    Thanks bp ... some of the painters may be interested in that ...

There was one on Vancouver Island for refurb last year or longer ... Eric P. sent some pics of it. Beautifully redone.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by middle View Post
    Great, Milton..when ya have a beat ready I'd certainly volunteer for some testing...mid
    You bet Middle ... will make sure you get your copy.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Thanks bp ... some of the painters may be interested in that ...

There was one on Vancouver Island for refurb last year or longer ... Eric P. sent some pics of it. Beautifully redone.
    yessir, that's the plane, number 483. Quite the resto.

Quote Originally Posted by bpfowler View Post

Oh, yeah, that reminds me. F7F's, except for the night fighters, left the factory with a very glossy sea blue paint scheme. I know Helldiver will back me up on this issue. Please don't make the day fighters dull or matted, they need to have high gloss paint.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Tonight's progress involves engine building. Just getting started here ...
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Moving ahead on the port side nacelle ... just getting the basic shape here ... hope to complete the nacelles, main gear doors, and main gear this weekend.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Mister Shupe,

You're unbelievable! Awesome work!

Cees

You're a fast worker Milton...lookin' great and what a super project to follow up the SOH A26:ernae:
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Members who have read this thread: 47