OT Quiet day at Heath and Hall [Photo plug]

Thread: OT Quiet day at Heath and Hall [Photo plug]

OT Quiet day at Heath and Hall [Photo plug]

Just a couple of snaps from Mildenhall and Lakenheath today, no idea what the Alphas were doing there ?.

Hi Michael,

My son is stationed at Lakenheath ! He is in Afghanistan right now. Hope to make it to England to see him and his wife.

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by michael davies View Post
    no idea what the Alphas were doing there ?.
    Probably on nav exercises...they also regularly fly into Baldonnel,Ireland by way of Valley AB in Wales.
    Nice pics,btw...are you local to the 'Hall? One regret I have is never going to see the SR-71 Blackbirds when they were based there.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by kilo delta View Post
    Probably on nav exercises...they also regularly fly into Baldonnel,Ireland by way of Valley AB in Wales.
    Nice pics,btw...are you local to the 'Hall? One regret I have is never going to see the SR-71 Blackbirds when they were based there.
    About 60 miles away by road so only an hours drive, I've been going there since the 80's but with a large gap when the air shows stopped and the kids arrived, I did manage to see one SR-71 launch, I was at the East end when they arrived from the barn ready to go, by the time I got to Beck Row (west end), he'd just let loose and passed over me at about 500'AGL and a good 35 deg climb and standing on two huge crackling AB cones. But most of the time it was lizard 1 or grey white C-141s and C-5s. There was a C-5 there today, first I've seen in years, but it just sat there all afternoon like some fat grey whale getting a sun tan. Sadly I seemed to have missed all the F-15 action at Lakenheath by the time I got there. Both Alpha jets did one touch and go and to the North East 5-10 miles or so, there was a lot of low level activity, looked like Jags or Harriers, down low turnin and burnin.

There was this odd C-130 at Mildenhall, best shot I could get was from the grassy knoll LOL.

There was this odd C-130 at Mildenhall, best shot I could get was from the grassy knoll LOL.
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/Turke...les/1417234/M/

tigisfat
    About 60 miles away by road so only an hours drive, I've been going there since the 80's but with a large gap when the air shows stopped and the kids arrived, I did manage to see one SR-71 launch, I was at the East end when they arrived from the barn ready to go, by the time I got to Beck Row (west end), he'd just let loose and passed over me at about 500'AGL and a good 35 deg climb and standing on two huge crackling AB cones. But most of the time it was lizard 1 or grey white C-141s and C-5s. There was a C-5 there today, first I've seen in years, but it just sat there all afternoon like some fat grey whale getting a sun tan. Sadly I seemed to have missed all the F-15 action at Lakenheath by the time I got there. Both Alpha jets did one touch and go and to the North East 5-10 miles or so, there was a lot of low level activity, looked like Jags or Harriers, down low turnin and burnin.

It looks like the Turkish stars are around, to me. I wonder what they're up to.

Quote Originally Posted by tigisfat View Post
    It looks like the Turkish stars are around, to me. I wonder what they're up to.
    While they're certainly not in regularly, it's not unusual to see Turkish C-130s in at Mildenhall. Not sure what the Turkish Stars aircraft is up to, although they may just use it for normal duties outside of the airshow season.

They'll be back in the summer, though, as they're displaying at Waddington in July. Looking forward to seeing them for the first time in 12 years.

Just a couple of snaps from Mildenhall and Lakenheath today, no idea what the Alphas were doing there ?.
    Nice photos especially the Alphajets. I wonder if the airshows will ever return to Mildenhall? I attended several in the 90's and they are amongst the best I ever saw.

Photo plugs are always nice! :ernae:

If you've got any more keepers feel free to post them!

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Nice photos especially the Alphajets. I wonder if the airshows will ever return to Mildenhall? I attended several in the 90's and they are amongst the best I ever saw.
    Thanks, they look a little better in their native size

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mickoo/...IMG_2253a2.JPG

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mickoo/...IMG_2264a2.JPG

The only down side of the Mildenhall airshows was the flight line, all flying photos had the sun in your face, Fairford is better with the sun behind.

tigisfat
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
    While they're certainly not in regularly, it's not unusual to see Turkish C-130s in at Mildenhall. Not sure what the Turkish Stars aircraft is up to, although they may just use it for normal duties outside of the airshow season.

They'll be back in the summer, though, as they're displaying at Waddington in July. Looking forward to seeing them for the first time in 12 years.

I enjoy seeing any airshow or jet demo team, but I couldn't believe how boring their display was. It seemes like all they did was have three airplanes fly by and another single ship chasing them, from different approaches and angles over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by tigisfat View Post
    I enjoy seeing any airshow or jet demo team, but I couldn't believe how boring their display was. It seemes like all they did was have three airplanes fly by and another single ship chasing them, from different approaches and angles over and over again.
    Considering they're an 8-ship team, where the hell were the other four aircraft?

Members who have read this thread: 0