Iris F-15, MiG-29 now freeware?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Iris F-15, MiG-29 now freeware?

Iris F-15, MiG-29 now freeware?

I was just over at Ukmil when I noticed a new post about Iris Simulations. It seems quite a few of their payware products will now be freeware, including the P-40, both the F-15 and F-15E Strike Eagle, and both the Mig-29 & Mig-29K. The list is here: http://www.irissimulations.com/the-hangar.php
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by RL_201 View Post
    I was just over at Ukmil when I noticed a new post about Iris Simulations. It seems quite a few of their payware products will now be freeware, including the P-40, both the F-15 and F-15E Strike Eagle, and both the Mig-29 & Mig-29K. The list is here: http://www.irissimulations.com/the-hangar.php
    Those who bought the models will not be happy

Quote Originally Posted by zsoltquack View Post

... and they are excellent ...

Not that it's on the freeware list, but didn't Iris initially put out a F-14 package for FS2004???

I don't see an issue here, it has happened to me several tiimes. I may be a bit peeved had I bought one of these recently but in actuality they are all quite old models now and I daresay that IRIS sales figures of them justifies their decision. I for one think it is a very generous gesture, some commercial companies out there could do well to follow the example. Alphasim is just about the only other company which I can think of which acts in a similar fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    I don't see an issue here, it has happened to me several tiimes. I may be a bit peeved had I bought one of these recently but in actuality they are all quite old models now and I daresay that IRIS sales figures of them justifies their decision. I for one think it is a very generous gesture, some commercial companies out there could do well to follow the example. Alphasim is just about the only other company which I can think of which acts in a similar fashion.
    Correct Naismith, I don't see any of those being a "Hey I just bought that and now it's freeware" concern. As you mentioned, they're all relatively old models by IRIS's current standards and I look forward to picking up a few of them to port over to FSX. Thanks to David and Karen for the gesture!!:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Alphasim is just about the only other company which I can think of which acts in a similar fashion.
    Aeroplane Heaven are another developer who also release a lot of their older stuff as freeware.

This is extremely generous of David and co. A lot of nice models in the list. Hopefully they will be downloadable quite soon.
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar

Which is why they haven't been 'in stock' at Simmarket for quite some time now.

From http://www.irissimulations.com/the-hangar.php

Freeware Aircraft

• A-7E Corsair II
    • BAE Hawk Superpack
    • E.A.P.
    • Eurofighter Typhoon
    • F-5 Freedom Fighter Superpack
    • F-15 Eagle
    • F-15 Eagle Strike Eagle
    • F-22 Lightning II
    • Harrier
    • Mig-27 Flogger
    • Mig-29 Fulcrum
    • Mig-29K Naval Fulcrum
    • P-40 Warhawk
    • S-3 Viking
    • Tornado Superpack
    Not available yet though, but will be soon!
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Yeah!

That's true!

Bill and Lynn Lyons also put their stuff out as freeware. There are quite a few who just abandoned their works without releasing an unlock code, making their software useless to those of us who paid for them. Case in point, Flight-Factory Simulations RV-7. Most of the gauges are useless/missing, because they had to be activated through the FFS website.

I for one thank all the companies that release their work as freeware, once they have paid their way. I do have a lot of payware items that have gone freeware, and have no complaints.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

iris free downloads

True
    I did last month buy the p40 so! some of the companys do that it very nice of them let older model's go free even if you paid before its nice to know that they paid for them selves so the company can invest in making even better planes

so i for one do not grump about they let them free its means they let others out and help people who would like them but with this money short problem helps them enjoy which they could not get and another thing is some times your get surprizes

nigel

members+
    Fighter Fanatic
    Well, this is quite a deal! My Military Hangar is going to literally double in size! I always wanted a few of these ships, but never really could justify trying to afford them. They'll be great additions!

I've had a few of my payware go free, and it really didn't bug me. It's nice that they do at least do this after some time, so everyone can enjoy them. Too bad all companies don't do something along these lines. :d
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10
    Dedicated SSD for FSX:SE

Good things come to cheapskates (like me) that wait

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOBO View Post
    ... and they are excellent ...
    I disagree, planes without cockpits shouldn't be charged for. I paid, flew once, then erased the p-40 pack, I won't buy an Iris product again.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Not that it's on the freeware list, but didn't Iris initially put out a F-14 package for FS2004???
    They did. Along with 2 F-4s, the T-6, and the PC-9. I speculate the reason the F-14, PC-9, and T-6 aren't there are to avoid confusion with the FSX models. Kind of a shame though. I am puzzled about the absence of the F-4s though.

I purchased several of these and I can't say I am "bothered" about it. Now if I had just purchased one the day before they actually show up, I would be upset.

The downside is that it looks like this is the final goodbye to FS2004 from Iris. Only RazBam and Iris appear to have completely abandoned FS2004.

Noted on Facebook that David Brice had made comments about the state some of the aircraft were in when released so there can be an upside to the releases as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddogK View Post
    I disagree, planes without cockpits shouldn't be charged for. I paid, flew once, then erased the p-40 pack, I won't buy an Iris product again.
    Well, if you stick with FS2004 it does not look like this will be an issue any more.

Now I can play more "what if" textures with some of `em yuuupiiiiie!

Quote Originally Posted by awj112 View Post
    Well, if you stick with FS2004 it does not look like this will be an issue any more.
    Ahh the old 'it's newer, so it's better' argument.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

I have most of those already. My favorite of them all has to be the MiG-27 with the photo real textures. I forgot the name of the guy who made those great textures, but he also made some for the MiG-29 and probably the rest of those planes as well. But the Iris planes I have flown the most are their T-6/PC-7, F-14, and MiG-27.

I think it's great that they release this stuff as freeware. Hell, that's how DSB started. I keep meaning to make some freeware planes for the community, but RL keeps getting in the way.

Yago 9. I think he got blacklisted here (and from what I gather, just about everywhere else from what I hear). Kind of sad, love his work.

Ahh the old 'it's newer, so it's better' argument.
    Yep, David drank the kool-aid and asked for seconds.

I have a few of the IRIS/former DSB freeware planes..the A-7E, S-3, Tornado. I enjoy flying them a lot. There are a few things here and there that bugged me about the packages, but nothing that I could not fix on my own....but that is part of the fun of flight simming....tweaking planes to your personal taste. I look forward to adding a few more IRIS freeware goodies to my collection.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If my memory serves me well, did IRIS not release 2 or 3 free a/c some time back in a limited way i.e. only only a few people got them but were free to pass them on to friends but not allowed to upload to sites such as here, Avsim etc...
    I wonder if any of these releases include those?

That was the vRAF Buccaneer/Phantom pack, Naismith. Decent models at the time, but I wouldn't bother with those anymore these days especially since they both lack a VC.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

AFAIK their P-40's did have a VC?

Members who have read this thread: 3