Quote Originally Posted by CrisGer View Post
I am using 3 GB of RAM and it has made a huge differnce in some of the mega games i have to test and study. Dont know about X3 yet, just loading up today. will be interseting to see.

3 GB will serve you fine as long as your GPU is up to date and can handle a good sim, the only real problem will come is if you build up a big fleet and get a lot of ships in a fur ball in one sector. I am running 12 GB right now on an i7, with a 1GB Nvidia card and I can still drag X3 down to a crawl if I get a bloated fleet and start a battle with some low life's. I have found keeping my fleet at around 25-30 ships active at one time is good, over that and things start to go downhill, I have over 50 ships in my fleet, but I keep 20-30 parked at stations or on carriers until needed and keep the automated traders in service to a max of 8 (it gets hard to manage more than 8-10 traders operating at one time). I was running 4GB on my old system with Vista, and the number of ships I could keep active was just about the same on that system, so the game itself may not be addressing (X3R anyway) anything over the old 3.25 GB limit for a 32 bit OS.

My recomendation is start slow and as you begin to build up a fleet of ships play around with the new ones for just a bit, then either park them if they are not needed for a specific task right away or better yet sell them off and use the credits to buy something more useful like upgrades or bank the credits to get a station built, then you are taking "Good Times".

See you around the stars... Live Long and Prosper.