The Ultimate CFS2 Experience

Thread: The Ultimate CFS2 Experience

The Ultimate CFS2 Experience

I had a chance to visit the Air Zoo in Kalamazoo, Michigan last week. In addition to some excellent aircraft exhibits, they also have a number of hands-on displays and rides. One of the rides is a very sophisticated flight simulator.

The simulator seats two people. You have a joy stick and a video screen that shows a 2D panel and the view forward. Every move you make with the joy stick is reflected in the simulator, which has a full range of 360° motion. Do a snap rioll and the simulator spins you all the way around. Here's a link to the Air Zoo site. Click on the video to see the simulator in action:

http://www.airzoo.org/page.php?menu_id=11

Next to each simulator was a video screen so the spectators and those waiting their turn can watch the same view as the people "flying". The day I was there the simulators were all flying combat missions using CFS2! I couldn't believe my eyes. Each simulator was hooked into a computer running CFS2 missions; Wildcats flying against Zeros over the Pacific. How cool was that? No wonder this sim won't die, a whole new generation of kids is being introduced to it in a most realistic way. It speaks well for CFS2 that it is one of the ones chosen for use in this simulator.

No, I didn't take time to try it myself. I'll probably regret that decision for years to come. Then again, I'd of had to elbow my way through all those kids young enough to be my grandchildren. Besides, I didn't want to show them up!

Now if I could just figure out how to get one of those simulators into my basement.....

Sounds great, but it wouldn't be much without the input of all those who make this virtual world so rich with aircraft, missions, skins, scenery and effects. You have made a huge contribution yourself Cody. Your work has certainly shown the mission building potential in cfs2; a potential still to be fully realized. We should also thank the people who made cfs2 such an open platform, rather than making it a closed system. Here's to you all!:ernae:

The Air Zoo

That's a great place CC. I was there about three years ago. One of the nice things is that the displays in the hanger near the strip are airworthy and they are rotated. At the time I visited, there was a Bearcat and a Dauntless Dive Bomber. Both painted in Navy blue.
    Did you happen to see the piston engine exhibits? They're some massive beasts.

Dave

I Agree......

I totally agree with Ravenna...here's to a job well done boys and I salute you all:ernae:

SdC Redux
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Coyote View Post
    ..... It speaks well for CFS2 that it is one of the ones chosen for use in this simulator.
    It is the only Combat Flight Sim (well, together with the venerable CFS1) that is really easy and cheap to interface with various hardware thanks to Mr. Dowson's FSUIPC, and with all the same stuff available for the civilian FS's.

Man I want one of those - that set-up has been one of my dreams for many years since I was an RAF air cadet more years ago than i care to remember and did mock combat training in a piston-engine Chipmunk!

I remember that day at RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire when the day started with around 6 planes on the flightline, but pretty soon they were down to just a pair owing to so many cadets puking up their full english breakfasts all over the rear cockpit !!

I"am just amaze they did not use another Sim.

They could have chosen IL46 or CFS3 or FS2204 or perhaps FSX. Instead they choose CFS2. That tells me that CFS2 is still a pretty good Sim even after ten years. WoW

Quote Originally Posted by dvslats View Post
    Did you happen to see the piston engine exhibits? They're some massive beasts.

Dave
    I did. In fact, I was very impressed with the variety and quality of the non-aircraft exhibits. Some, like a large exhibit on the battle for Guadalcanal, were not specifically avaiation oriented. The Air Zoo was very well done, very user friendly, and a great place to keep the spirit of piston engine military avation alive for the next generation.

By the way, they did still have a Dauntless on display (painted in the light blue), but no Bearcat. There were a Corsair, Hellcat, and Wildcat side by side which made for an interesting size comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by miamieagle View Post
    I"am just amaze they did not use another Sim.

They could have chosen IL46 or CFS3 or FS2204 or perhaps FSX. Instead they choose CFS2. That tells me that CFS2 is still a pretty good Sim even after ten years. WoW
    ME, I guess there's nothing for M$ to do but reissue the sim. There were only a finite number made, which set up an ethics problem. Regarding software I have the ethics of an alley caat, I will not violate the rights reserved to add on creators, I consider them comraades. But it's too easy to burn copies of CFS2 and file sharing networks like RapidShare are replete with all of M$'s flight sims. Another alternative is some progrmmer needs to make compatible but ground up version that uses this plethora of add ons for CFS2 but is no way related to M$ code, like Open Office vs M$ Office. Call it Open Air Combat.

And if M$ objects to the use of the 12 stock aircraaft, I guess we'll just have to make do.

Bones
    My Dad's last words to me were, "Son, an eagle may soar to great heights, but a weasel never gets sucked into a jet engine..."
    And then he died...
    He was sucked into a jet engine...

Members who have read this thread: 0