A couple of C185F paints - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A couple of C185F paints

outstanding....thank you sir.

Looking forward to maybe the other yellow bird also. I believe it is used by the court house to transport peeps for court.

Quote Originally Posted by rsgunner View Post
    Here is N525JB as a Tundra variant.
    Needs a little mud added to it.

Jetstreamsky, you did a nice job on the textures.

Russ
    Is this enough mud?

rsgunner
    How much mud do you have on the fuselage?

I did the "C" texture just to show that you can get text and other things on the rudder to display correctly on the tundra, float and ski models. As you know the wheeled and amphibian models do not have that problem.

Send me a PM if you want the C texture.

I like the mud on the struts. I have not found any images of the muddy planes but then again I haven't looked very hard.

Russ

Originally I put mud on the fuselage too, but it just doesn't look right, those large tundra tyres are a good distance away from the fuselage, so I kept the spread inline with the tyre spin.

Yes I noticed your work on the C texture and in fact I've been in communication with Carenado about the Tundra, ski and float versions, but their response was that they are OK and I should redownload the patch. I did infact redownload the patch today, it provided the exact same timestamp models as I already had installed and obviously still does not fix the issue, so I've responded with that information to see if they will look closer at it.

Attachment 7008
    The wing strut unfortunately stretches the mud a little and also it maps both sides to one view, so the mud appears on both sides of the strut.

I looked through over 700 photos and found only 1 with a small amount of mud under the main wing inline with the tyre, but tundra equipped models are not often seen, so that is probably a factor in the available picture set.

Last image is Proxy blocked by crazyaviation logo and it is just that cub with monster truck tires (kinda old news). Might want to save image and up it. It is rare that a plane is pushed into splattering mud. Usually the prop wash does a very good job of pushing the heavy water molecules away and down at the ground, or a little on the tail. Don't get me wrong I love dirty planes, it is my repaint Specialty to use blending options and knockout options to mimic rust, paint flake, and dirt. But sometimes it just does not logistically work. Most people view airplanes as utilitarian vehicles that work hard and get abused and dirty. This sense of Adventurism is usually blinding to the fact that all airplane owners want to keep their planes clean other wise the FAA gets Snooty.

-- 3000 hours Flying the Finger ----

I know the second one has been seen before, but it's still good. Personally I like clean planes, I'm an Engineer by trade and prefer mechanical sympathy and pride in the machine requiring care over abused and unloved equipment. Having said that, things get dirty in use, but they should only be a wash or paint touch up away from returning to pristine condition. However I'm not adverse to some wear and tear on aircraft portrayed as being in the midst of heavy activity, the new Just Flight (Bazzar's) Spitfire shown recently is a good example of that.

Consequently this whole mud and scrape thing is a new area for me to explore. I'm interested in what you described as 'knockout options', for paint flake, where can I find more information about this?

Quote Originally Posted by jetstreamsky View Post
    Consequently this whole mud and scrape thing is a new area for me to explore. I'm interested in what you described as 'knockout options', for paint flake, where can I find more information about this?
    It is a powerful tool usually over looked with in Photoshop, but it is very precise and picky. It depends on your layers as that is what it reads its information on RGB values from. If you double click on a layer you get your blending options, and on the main blending options you have "blend if [grey]" below that are sliders for "This layer" or "layer Below" you can tweak by selected specific colors also. If you choose a knockout that is deep or shallow the effect is more global, I personally don't choose a knockout tick box option. Anyway play around with it, you can usually get something to work out. Utilizing a Illustration trick of taking photos of paperbags or a texture layer you can blend in options that mimic it. Also it may be privey to Alpha layer work, and or specular work to create the metal shine that show's up. If you just want the shine, you can edit the alpha layer white and then draw your grunge pattern over that to create a worn out clear coat. My cessna Rustwagon was a Heavy example of this technique.

-- 3000 hours Flying the Finger ----

VH-TUC and VH-ELQ

Something different

Might as well add water landing capability for flying around the Cyclades

Members who have read this thread: 0