Nifty 50s Jet Race Entry thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nifty 50s Jet Race Entry thread

Nifty 50s Jet Race Entry thread

Post your entries in this thread.

I'll go first.

I'm entering in Piglet's T-33 in a US Navy TV-2 trainer repaint (TV-2 was 1950s Navyese for T-33).

Here's a couple of screenshots of it being shipped on a carrier to Darwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Post your entries in this thread.

I'll go first.

I'm entering in Piglet's T-33 in a US Navy TV-2 trainer repaint (TV-2 was 1950s Navyese for T-33).

Here's a couple of screenshots of it being shipped on a carrier to Darwin.
    Hey Willy, couldn't upload in the normal place, so here is my entrie.

Dudley and I will be flying Alphasim Boeing B-47e. Pictures; Old shaky C-124 taking off in the early morning with the support people heading to Darwin for our support in the nifty fifty race. Here we are leaving a couple of days later in an early morning departure for our junket to Darwin.

Taco.

Will be in Fort Lauderdale from 4/17 through 4/24.

But the EA-3B Skywarrior PR-007 will be ready to go. Another crew will ferry the bird down from the VQ-1 home base at Iwakuni to Darwin. They will stop at Sangley Point to visit old friends from when the squadron was stationed there in the early 50s, and a fuel stop at CCK enroute to the PI and at Davao on the final legs to Darwin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Reggie Fields, KADS, Addison, Texas, USA

You didn't think the USAF Military Air Transport Service (MATS) would let the fighter jocks and bomber boys have all the fun, did you? That's why they have entered the Boeing C-135A Stratolifter into the race, and contracted yours truly to fly it. Unlike most other entrys, we don't need a support plane. The support team can ride along on the race plane!

Below are a couple of pictures of us arriving at Darwin from the States (with stopovers in Hawaii and the Marshall Islands).

australia enters nifty fiftys race STOP kowalski six five allocated as pilot STOP canberra b two mark twenty assigned serial no a eight four dash two three four STOP aircraft and pilot to proceed to yddn darwin international with all speed STOP training film stills attached STOP try not to crash this time MESSAGE ENDS

Will have a go in the AlphaSim F7U-3. A little short-legged but the drop tanks will help. (The two sidewinders might come in handy as well).

In real life, the Cutlass was underpowered and accident prone for a variety of reasons. Here is a chance for the tailless fighter to redeem itself via the virtual world.

Moses

Jumping in with the A-4B Skyhawk/Scooter. I'm going armed too; especially for that possible stop in Soviet territory.
    I'll save you the research for in service date:

A4D-2 (A-4B)

• Before delivery of the A4D-1 to fleet units, an improved version, the A4D-2 (A-4B) was ordered into production.
    • Inprovements incorporated in the A4D-2 (A-4B) Skyhawk were a stronger, "inside-out" rudder construction; a pressure fueling system with a probe for air-to-air refueling; external fuel tanks; stronger landing gear; additional navigation equipment; an improved air-to-ground ordnance delivery system; and an externally-carried "buddy store" package for air-to-air fueling of other aircraft.
    • The first A4D-2 (A-4B) flight occurred on March 26, 1956, flown by Douglas test pilot Dru Wood.
    • Fleet delivery of the A4D-2 (A-4B) began in September 1957.
    • A total of 542 A4D-2 (A-4B) Skyhawks were manufactured, many of which were later modified and/or refurbished and sold to foreign countries (q.v.).

• A4D-2 (A-4B) BuNos:
          142082 - 142141 (60)
          142416 - 142423 (8)
          142674 - 142953 (280)
          144868 - 145061 (194)

The link: http://a4skyhawk.org/2c/productionhistory.htm

The -E onward were a bit faster but too late.

Cya on the ramp!
    -John-

Hey All,

My A4 is too fast (in the CFG) then I wanted the Canuck but it has no 2D panel and the VC is unreadable so I hunted for a plane I like the looks of and bought the F89 - so the Scorpion it is for me in this event (Yeah I sometimes use these events as an "excuse" to add a plane to the hangar). I think it's a bit slow but I'll live with it. I'll leave it to you plane ID experts to figure out which one is the F89 in the screenie. :d

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Ya, all my A-4's are too fast also, except the 'M' model thats out of era. Guess I'll throw in with the Alphasim F-86. I'm sure I saw a Mig around here.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Vicious Entry

I’ll be entering the race with the SNCASO S.O. 4050 Vautour IIN. Here’s a pic during one of the shakedown flights in San Diego, before heading into the avionics and paint shop. With two big engines it likes to guzzle the gas, so it won’t have a chance for the Eco portion of the race, but it’s pretty speedy with good range.

Should be fun!!

Vicious
    Vicious - Team Avsim

Quote Originally Posted by jkcook28 View Post
    Jumping in with the A-4B Skyhawk/Scooter. I'm going armed too; especially for that possible stop in Soviet territory.
    I'll save you the research for in service date:

A4D-2 (A-4B)

• Before delivery of the A4D-1 to fleet units, an improved version, the A4D-2 (A-4B) was ordered into production.
    • Inprovements incorporated in the A4D-2 (A-4B) Skyhawk were a stronger, "inside-out" rudder construction; a pressure fueling system with a probe for air-to-air refueling; external fuel tanks; stronger landing gear; additional navigation equipment; an improved air-to-ground ordnance delivery system; and an externally-carried "buddy store" package for air-to-air fueling of other aircraft.
    • The first A4D-2 (A-4B) flight occurred on March 26, 1956, flown by Douglas test pilot Dru Wood.
    • Fleet delivery of the A4D-2 (A-4B) began in September 1957.
    • A total of 542 A4D-2 (A-4B) Skyhawks were manufactured, many of which were later modified and/or refurbished and sold to foreign countries (q.v.).

• A4D-2 (A-4B) BuNos:
          142082 - 142141 (60)
          142416 - 142423 (8)
          142674 - 142953 (280)
          144868 - 145061 (194)

The link: http://a4skyhawk.org/2c/productionhistory.htm

The -E onward were a bit faster but too late.

Cya on the ramp!
    OK, after some testing, UNLESS the rule on Mach changes, I withdraw the A-4B and re-enter with the A-4C. It cannot exceed M1.0 in level flight either. Has slight climb and speed advantage over the -B, but also a bit shorter range.

The first A4D-2N (A-4C) flight occurred on August 21, 1958 and first fleet delivery was to VMA-225 in February 1960.

From this link: http://a4skyhawk.org/2c/productionhistory.htm

-John-

Quote Originally Posted by jkcook28 View Post
    OK, after some testing, UNLESS the rule on Mach changes, I withdraw the A-4B and re-enter with the A-4C. It cannot exceed M1.0 in level flight either. Has slight climb and speed advantage over the -B, but also a bit shorter range.

The first A4D-2N (A-4C) flight occurred on August 21, 1958 and first fleet delivery was to VMA-225 in February 1960.

From this link: http://a4skyhawk.org/2c/productionhistory.htm

NONE of the A-4's I tested exceed M1 in level flight, but when removing the reference entries Duenna 'estimates' the speeds and puts them back into the CFG, then reports them in the logs. I'd sure like to know whose A4 your using (for future use).
    MaddogK

I'm using the Razbam A-4, Maddog. I don't change or remove anything in the .cfg file. The argument is the max mach number of 1.20 in the reference speed section. It can do that in a steep full power dive; but thats not what is at issue. Best I can get in level flight at any altitude is M.98 or less (in the A-4C; the -B is slower).
    Most of these faster subsonic jets I have are all similar in performance and can all exceed M1.0 in a dive.
    -John-

My 'B' A-4 shows 'overspeed' at M .9, but the CFG shows M 1.2 so I considered it ineligible, The F-86 will go supersonic at 45k ft, but the groundspeed is slower than M .87 @ 30K ft by 50 kts. or so.

An interesting side not tho- the A-7 is faster than the A-4, but the config shows M.1.00 (Abacus A-7E), AND it's considered subsonic for the RTW race.

...Go figure.
    MaddogK

SOH Staff
    after narrowing it down to 4,
    I have decided on the B-47E.
    oddly enough, it is the fastest
    and has the longest range.
    but the deciding factor was that
    it was the one I was the most successful at landing.
    imagine that...

I am noticing something very odd,
    while cruising Mach 0.93 @ 35,000 feet,
    the engines are singing.
    honest...I'm hearing a men's chorus repeating;
    Oh, Oh, Oh Oh
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

The Colombian Air Force have asked me (un gringo humildes) to fly their entry in this race - a mighty B707 in Fuerza Aerea Colombiana colours! Que Dios tenga piedad de mi alma!

I'll have to make it a quick one so they can get this important implement of enforcement back into more suitable service.

Estoy un poco loco!

Quote Originally Posted by Highmike View Post
    The Colombian Air Force have asked me (un gringo humildes) to fly their entry in this race - a mighty B707 in Fuerza Aerea Colombiana colours! Que Dios tenga piedad de mi alma!

I'll have to make it a quick one so they can get this important implement of enforcement back into more suitable service.

Estoy un poco loco!
    I'm going to have to change my colours: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colombian_Air_Force

Seems the one and only 707 in the Colombian Air Force entered service during the nineties which would make my ride historically inaccurate.

This leaves me with a Luftwaffe paint of the 707-320 which may well be historically accurate since the West German Luftwaffe flew mostly US designed planes when they joined NATO in 1955.

Or, a Spanish Air Force paint which will probably be historically inaccurate since they flew mostly German planes until Spain joined NATO in 1982.

Or, a nice paint of Air Force 1 which will be pretty accurate since Eisenhower visited 11 Asian nations in a VC-137 during his "Flight to Peace" Goodwill tour in December 1959. The only trouble is that I feel inadequate as a pilot to be flying the President on such an auspicious occasion.

I would, however, feel up to it if I could count on the support of any of my Pacific Rim neighbours who may otherwise object to an Australian bushman flying such a Regal bird.

Any objections?

Smile

Gonna give it a whirl in the Alphasim English Electric Canberra B2, RAF of course

Steve
    Proud member of the RTW Team

My entry..

I am entering the Hawker Hunter T MK.7.:salute: Good luck to everyone!

cya,
    powell341Attachment 5084

I'm in flying the Section F8 F-86

Not a lot of time to test and all, but I believe this choice should meet the rules.

I like flying it. Should be a challenge.
    Buzzbee - TeamAVSIM

Entry: Alphasim's Republic F-80 Shooting Star

Copied and pasted below from the Strategic-Air-Command.com website:

"The Shooting Star was the first USAF aircraft to exceed 500 mph in level flight, the first American jet airplane to be manufactured in large quantities and the first USAF jet to be used in combat. Designed in 1943, the XP-80 made its maiden flight on Jan. 8, 1944. Several early P-80s were sent to Europe for demonstration, but WW II ended before the aircraft could be employed in combat. (The aircraft was redesignated in 1948 when "P" for "Pursuit" was changed to "F" for "Fighter.") Of 1,731 F-80s built, 798 were F-80Cs.
    Although it was designed as a high-altitude interceptor, the F-80C was used extensively as a fighter-bomber in the Korean Conflict, primarily for low-level rocket, bomb and napalm attacks against ground targets. On Nov. 8, 1950, an F-80C flown by Lt. Russell J. Brown, flying with the 16th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, shot down a Russian-built MiG-15 in the world's first all-jet fighter air battle."

Won't win any speed records with this bird, but it is fun to fly and just what the Doctor ordered for a "prop-guy".

It's got the stinkin' checklist plastered right in the middle of the panel for those of us that have all the symptoms of "ol' timer's disease".

Doesn't have the swept back wing design, so it has a lower stall speed and it just might do well with fuel usage.....we'll see.

I'll have to make a lot of stops, so this will be more like a Tour than a Race, but it should be a ton-o-fun and that's all that matters anyway.

Gratitude to all hands on Flight 19 for yet another springtime romp to remember.
    salt_air

Salt Air, the AS P-80 was my first choice for pretty much your reasons but it has some odd behavior after touchdown on landing (hopping and skipping down the runway), so I went with the two seater T-33.

Should be a very nice tour.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Another Section F8 F-86E Sabre joins the frenzy

Hope I make it to California before the start of the autumn event, this time!
    Gunter

gandy
    I hope this is allowed as ive done some homework in to its history.

here we have the Comet 3B which was originally owned/operated by the MOS ( Ministry of Supply ). The MOS became the MOD in 1959.

The Comet 3B is a Modified Comet 3 Prototype which only 2 was built and only one ever took to the skies. The first flight of the comet 3 to place on 19/7/1954

The livery on this aircraft does not reflect its use by the MOS/MOD as its a later paint job from 1961

Oh really?

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Salt Air, the AS P-80 was my first choice for pretty much your reasons but it has some odd behavior after touchdown on landing (hopping and skipping down the runway), so I went with the two seater T-33.

Should be a very nice tour.

Thanks for the heads up Willy!

Hadn't noticed that yet,,,,,been landing at less than 100kts and stopping fast.

I'll have to watch the long runways and not get lazy about airspeed forcing long rolls to bleed off speed.

Yes,,,,this will be a very nice tour. Thanks again,,,,,this is a fantastic part of the world to fly in and a well thought out event.

Best of luck to you and everyone else.

Cheers,
    salt_air

Members who have read this thread: 0