Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Rim 50's Jet Race Rules

SOH Staff
    Willy, I plan on trying,
    I was just saying...
    hells bells, what am I saying?

John, thanks for the offer.
    I'll take you up on it,
    although, I don't want to slow you guys down.

also, HighMike made a very informative NAV post
    another thread over.
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

using fs9 map

is it legal in this race to use the fs9 map facility within the flight planner, _during_ the flight?

Quote Originally Posted by bpfowler View Post
    is it legal in this race to use the fs9 map facility within the flight planner, _during_ the flight?
    No. Anything that shows you where you are on a map, during the flight, is not allowed. This would include those flight planner programs that connect to FS and show you where you are.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

FS 9 Map - However, I would assume that using FS 9 and the Map on a separate computer as a reference, like a chart, would be legal.
    Buzzbee - TeamAVSIM

if no live map references from MS flight planner are allowed inflight,

then radio and land mass data must be printed preflight, correct?

That's how I usually do it except I don't have a printer hooked up to my comp. I usually write down my route in a notebook on my desk including nav radio frequencies.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

We've refined the rules a bit in the bonus section and to denote keeping track of fuel burned by weight not volume. Please take the time to look over the changes.

You could use FS's map feature on another computer that isn't tied to the one you're flying. That would amount to what I do with Super Flight Planner during my flights. I have it running on another computer during the flight. It shows the locationn and frequencies of all the navigation aids, and the major land masses. Helps a lot. It just doesn't show me where I am...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

many thanks for the info, fellers.
    I was totally misinterpreting the map rule.
    glad I axed!

Another option ( and can be run on the FS comp or separately) is to get and use Plan-G (or FSWidget`s GMap) to both plan your flight and use as a map. Yes, both will connect to FS and act like a moving map, BUT they can also run disconnected, hide the aircraft, and not follow it.
    Plan G will display all the navaids after you set up the database (from FS) and can be zoomed, moused-over for data, etc.
    Since both use Google maps you can have the satellite map, but more importantly, the Terrain Map which is more accurate and clear than the MSFS one
    I have used both, mostly Plan_G now. It can export the plan you make into FS9 or FSX to save a step.

Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/
    GMap http://fswidgets.com/shop/download_f...fc247e7d794b74 (it`s free) down near bottom of page.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

K, SrG, I'm confused- FSWidgets is a moving map util (thats illegal for this race), and the Mapcreator utility requires a BMP as a source to create a printable map (available for U.S. sectionals only from aeroplanner),
    How is this helpful ?
    :isadizzy:

Does it 'grab' your routeplanner map from FS and display it in it's own window ?

The 'Plan-G' looks nice, does it display nav station freq's and data ?
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Quote Originally Posted by MaddogK View Post
    K, SrG, I'm confused- FSWidgets is a moving map util (thats illegal for this race), and the Mapcreator utility requires a BMP as a source to create a printable map (available for U.S. sectionals only from aeroplanner),
    How is this helpful ?
    :isadizzy:

Does it 'grab' your routeplanner map from FS and display it in it's own window ?

The 'Plan-G' looks nice, does it display nav station freq's and data ?
    With GMap, you have to load FS first, and it opens (Start then select the GMAP option) in a moving map mode. You can load an exisiting FS9 or FSX plan (FLT PLN button) and then disconnect FS so you no longer have a moving map (-DISC button). The free version doesn`t display navaid data but does show the route - it`s mostly a VFR aid.

Plan G will show the navaids in the Flight Plan dropdown as shown in my screenshot and hovering your mouse over a navaid will give type, freq. and ASL of the aid (same for airports). For more info on the airport you zoom in to see the graphic view of the field. PlanG can make and save a FS .pln file or import from your FS-created plan list. PlanG will run stand-alone.
    NOTE: for racing purposes you have to disconnect the sim so it does not track the aircraft. Just like the GPS it`s an on-your-honour thing.

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Ahh, TY sir.
    MaddogK

Of the two options Plan G is the best if you do not have FSNavigator

If you have FSNav well thats all you need.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Whats the word on Taiwan ?

<edit> nevermind I see it as a 'legal' bonus stop.
    MaddogK

Fuel Consumption calc

OK everyone, after all the whining and wining and dining I thought I'd do a bit of number crunching to see if the horror stories are true.

Answer: I don't know - from the historical perspective and flight-test data. However, the numbers are not that skewed in a relative sense. After all, we have a diverse group of aircraft with very different characteristics and that has to be accommodated.

So I offer you this:

Everyone (you too Willy) continue to post "Fuel Used" in your after-landing posts (so I don't have to go chasing the numbers). I have recorded 25 legs thus far and have a formula in which I'm gaining confidence. If the numbers don't shift radically with the next few pilots reporting I'll fill you in on the details and we may have an Eco Score that will be fair.

Hints? HAH!
    All I will say at this point is that there is no simple answer (just as there are no simple rules) and there could be some surprised expressions later.

Rob

SOH Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    OK everyone, after all the whining and wining and dining I thought I'd do a bit of number crunching to see if the horror stories are true.

Answer: I don't know - from the historical perspective and flight-test data. However, the numbers are not that skewed in a relative sense. After all, we have a diverse group of aircraft with very different characteristics and that has to be accommodated.

So I offer you this:

Everyone (you too Willy) continue to post "Fuel Used" in your after-landing posts (so I don't have to go chasing the numbers). I have recorded 25 legs thus far and have a formula in which I'm gaining confidence. If the numbers don't shift radically with the next few pilots reporting I'll fill you in on the details and we may have an Eco Score that will be fair.

Hints? HAH!
    All I will say at this point is that there is no simple answer (just as there are no simple rules) and there could be some surprised expressions later.

Rob
    :salute:...as usual Rob,

you go above and beyond the call.
    many thanks, indeed.

I am noticing a few discrepancies between Duenna,
    FS Fuel and Payload,
    and my RKG_Fuelstat gauge.
    in order to keep it simple,
    may I just use the Duenna Flightlog_xxx.TXT

Landing:
    Fuel weight: (-xxxxxx)

I am also noticing discrepancies in Panel and Duenna speeds.
    this is not a big deal, as I don't intend on winning,
    but I am just curious.

finally, there has been mention of a
    "Friend of OPEC Award"
    for the #1 Guzzler.
    no doubt, it was a joke,
    but I'm going for it!
    sometimes it doesn't.

oops, posted in the wrong thread, my oppologies.
    MaddogK

SOH Staff

Question

quick question;
    does one need to post Duenna for a crash on take-off?
    sometimes it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by smilo View Post
    quick question;
    does one need to post Duenna for a crash on take-off?
    So you crashed on take off.

It looks like you report the crash and the time counts against your flight but there is no extra crash penalty.

In this case a crash on take off was the duenna running yet or not. If the Duenna was not running (less than 60 kts) then there is nothing to report. If the duenna was running post the duenna the time cost can not be that much.

If you crash due to “pilot error” (trees, hills, building, rocks, goats, over speed, over stress, running out of gas), the leg must be re-flown. In this case, the time spent on the mishap leg will count against your total time, so the mishap duenna file must be posted. If the crash wasn’t your fault (computer crash, critical spousal “honey-do’s”) you can cancel the leg and fly it again later. In this case the time spent flying the leg will not count against your total. However, keep in mind to post about your crashes in the Pilot’s Lounge thread as we are easily entertained.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

SOH Staff
    Duenna was running,
    IE, Arm baton auto-pickup
    only a few minutes in
    will post after flight
    sometimes it doesn't.

Bonus airport clarification please...

I just noticed that the rules were updated regarding the bonus airports, and that Laos is now NOT available for the bonus and one of the countries I was planning on landing at is not on either list. If a country is not strictly listed as a non-bonus, can we still land at it for a bonus? And BTW, why was Laos dropped?

Thanks!
    Vicious
    Vicious - Team Avsim

Only the countries on the bonus list count for the bonus.

Thanks! I would have been going the wrong way on my next leg then.

Vicious
    Vicious - Team Avsim

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
    And BTW, why was Laos dropped?

Thanks!
    Vicious
    If I'm not mistaken Tom Laos was known as Cambodia in the '50s, and it is on the list.

EDIT: No, I am mistaken, they are separate countries. I can't tell you why it isn't on the list.

Members who have read this thread: 0