Chopper for FSX

Thread: Chopper for FSX

Chopper for FSX

Yeaaaaaa it's only me again, now we are in 2010......is there anyone out there working on a RN Westland Wasp, I've heard little snippets over the last 2 years. Would so love to see this little wonder for FSX........any devs out there willing to give it a shot I wonder.

Many thanks

I also sincerely hope someone is doing, or considering doing, a new native FSX Westland Wasp and Scout from the ground up...

If I ever got around to making a helicopter myself I'd start with either the Wasp/Scout, Dragonfly or the Skeeter...

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Scout/ Wasp... MAYBE this year from me. Always liked the Airfix models I had years ago. And always loved the simple, compact lines of those two.
    Already got a POH...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Piglet Conrad
    Piglet's Peculiar Planes
    "Ahhh... the freedom of freeware!"
    First Rule of Aviation:
    Don't piss off your mechanic.

Tried the UKMIL models? www.ukmil.org.uk - you have to be a member, but a free member to get the Wasp and Scout. I think they also released them at flightsim.com. Downloaded them, but haven't tried them yet.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    Scout/ Wasp... MAYBE this year from me. Always liked the Airfix models I had years ago. And always loved the simple, compact lines of those two.
    Already got a POH...
    Does that include the simple compact lines of the Rolls-Royce Nimbus bolted on the back?!

Oooh, where'd ya get the POH?? I'd love a copy.

Andy

This is as far as I got with mine.

I always liked that shopping cart undercarrage of the wasp, nice little helo, saw one a few years back at my local airshow!

Quote Originally Posted by michael davies View Post
    OMG!!

That looks fantastic! "As far I got" sounds finite... have you ceased work, or is it a WIP? Please tell us its the latter!

That looks a lot like 3DS Max, am I right??

There are privately owned Wasps around. I've seen one flown alongside a Merlin at the last two RNAS Yeovilton Air Days. Also at the last Air Day Boscombe Down Museum (IIRC) had a static one, which I sat in and got some good cockpit shots.

if there is enough support, I will consider remaking the UKMIL version as native FSX

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post
    OMG!!

That looks fantastic! "As far I got" sounds finite... have you ceased work, or is it a WIP? Please tell us its the latter!

That looks a lot like 3DS Max, am I right??

There are privately owned Wasps around. I've seen one flown alongside a Merlin at the last two RNAS Yeovilton Air Days. Also at the last Air Day Boscombe Down Museum (IIRC) had a static one, which I sat in and got some good cockpit shots.
    Yes it is Max and its stored in the deep freezer, along with many more LOL. I was lucky enough to visit Duxford when there's stood at the back of one of the older hangers, a healthy donation opens many doors....literally but if I ever get the urge I'll come looking for those cockpit shots. I think the Duxford one is now in the RAF hanger and suspended from the ceiling ?, making internal photos and measurement impossible.

It was planed to package it with a RN Leader class Frigate, probably Ikara class, but as with everything planned....it didnt go to plan .

What a shame that would have been awesome! :salute:

bummer mike, ive always enjoyed your models

i was hoping one day you will complete your ch47

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    bummer mike, ive always enjoyed your models

i was hoping one day you will complete your ch47
    Well I might get back to it one day. CH-47 wasn't mine, I think that was Dano's, though it does appeal to me but Milviz have one planned so no point, only things I have are a CH-34, HH-3E and a Lynx, all in deep storage, but, I was eyeing up the Hind drawings and books the other day LOL, the itch to model in max is sometimes hard to ignore but reality means its only an itch and easily scratched.

I'd give my right arm for that Lynx!!!
    SOOOO near and yet so far! I also model in Max, but not to that standard! Did you take classes, or are you self taught??

Besides twisting your arm, is there any way in which I can help bring these to life?

Now, I'd give both my right and left arms for the following combinations:

Wasp + Leander Frigate
    Lynx + Type 42 Destroyer

I'm sure some Kiwis out there would also love to get their hands on a Leander/Wasp combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post
    I'd give my right arm for that Lynx!!!
    SOOOO near and yet so far! I also model in Max, but not to that standard! Did you take classes, or are you self taught??

Besides twisting your arm, is there any way in which I can help bring these to life?

Now, I'd give both my right and left arms for the following combinations:

Wasp + Leander Frigate
    Lynx + Type 42 Destroyer
    Of the four the Lynx is technically the most advanced, ie in modeling skills and mesh production, theres a lot of compound curves going on in that airframe, the HH-3 would need some reworking for FSx as its predominately a FS9 shell revamped in some areas to smooth it out, unlike the Seaking the Lynx would only be the HMA8, possibly a HAS3 but none of the other variants were ever invisaged, multi packs are a thing of the past.

Self taught I'm afraid, started in Aircraft Factory 99, then onto FSDS, jumped to Gmax and then eventually Max 8, I dont model like the experts, can't understand a word there talking about with Lofts and gizmos and such, its just alien to me, I just take a cube or tube and chisel bits off until it looks right, the higest technology I use is mesh smooth and boolean, which if treated with care works pretty well.

A Type 42 would be nice, I have drawings for those, but I prefer the Type 22 Batch III or the modern Type 23 but they usually ship Merlins.

until Michael decides to return, we have this on it's way soon as freeware

Attachment 4211

Attachment 4212

as mentioned earlier, we did a Wasp for FS9, and if there is enough call for it, i am happy to convert to native FSX

Attachment 4213

http://www.ukmil.org.uk/download.php?view.160

then onto FSDS, jumped to Gmax and then eventually Max 8
    Sounds a lot like me, though I'm still relatively new to Max. I'm also using Photomodeler, which lets me use photos of an object (e.g. aircraft) taken from different angles to reverse-engineer the shape, them import into Max with distortion-free photo-textures ready made. I'd have got a lot further with it if it wasn't for the fact it doesn't work so well on smooth featureless surfaces (such as the shiny, smooth curves of many modern aircraft!!). Works better on cockpits and scenery...

Anyhow, whether Wasp or Lynx I'd love to see them as FSX native freeware...

Was away for a few days am now just reading the thread, I'm glad to see I"m not the only one who would like
    to see RN wasp. First chopper I really worked on in the RN, had many a flight in them. It was such a versatile machine.
    Piglet..........you would for sure be on my xmas card list if you did decide to do one, your attention to detail is astounding. I can only wait and hope.
    Thanks for all the other replies on the wasp guys.