Round the World the Easy Way - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Round the World the Easy Way

Hey All,

So that was a lot a bull wasn't it? :costumes:

Figured I'd head south for one of my favorite airports - Lost Horn ranch (FA80). Love this place - grass strip farmhouse horses tractor water tower cub - whats not to luv? After this I'll be headed South and it'll be a long time before I see US soil again.

-Ed-

Statistics to date

Hours - 26:30:32
    Distance - 4414.1 nm
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
    Hey All,

Leaving Hannibal behind it seemed only right on my first flight around the world to stop at the place where it all started - Kill Devil Hills.

-Ed-
    Takin' a peak to see how you were doing Ed.

Didn't realize you were headed my way (KFFA) or I'da had you a proper seafood diner ready to gobble up. Fresh caught Sea Bass stuffed with lump crabmeat, and a mess of broiled scallops and shrimp with plenty of drawn butter. Oh well,,,,maybe another time.

You and the Kodiak are doin a fine job,,,,keep the blue (red) side up and happy trails to ya!

Best regards,
    salt_air

Hey All,

Salt that meal sounds great! Sorry I missed it.

Decided to push on to Cancun as I plan to fly down the western side of South America. Nice uneventful night flight. A bit foggy at MMUN but not bad.

-Ed-
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

aeromachines
    Hello: I'd like to know more about the Kodiak with the G-1000. How has it? Where can it be had, and so on. Looks like a great choice to me.
    Aeromachines
    lowell.wiley@gmail.com

Hey All,

Aeromachines - It is Lionheart's Kodiak available here and at other vendors like fspilotshop for one.

http://www.lionheartcreations.com/Kodiak.html

You should be aware an updated version should be on it's way "SOON". It's a really fine plane and I really like it although I'm looking forward to the update to enhance the textures, fix the water rudder wheel relationship, etc. Irrespective of that turboprops - especially high wing bush planes - are my favorite class of aircraft and so it seemed like the right one to do this trip with.

-Ed-

Hey All,

Moved on a few days ago and figure I better catch up on posting.

Left Cancun and moved on to Daniel Oduber Quiros Intl near Liberia in Costa Rica. Seems folks around here are a bit religious.

-Ed-

Hey All,

Couple days later I set my sights on South America and headed out for Teniente Coronel Luis A Mantilla airport (SETU) at 9700 ft on the border between Ecuador and Columbia. Was a nice night flight till the end when I found out the airport had no lights :redf: but did have a VASI and lots of local off airport lighting. So even though ordered away by ATC as the airport was IFR I declared an emergency shortage of Cerveza :costumes: and landed anyway.

-Ed-

Statistics to date

Hours - 37:08:53
    Distance - 6230.6 nm

Hey All,

Moved on to Comandante Fap German Arias Graziani Airport [SPHZ] another 9000 ft plus airport that serves Huaraz Peru. This airport has an interesting steep approach to runway 16. These 9000+ ft airports are sure makin an old sea level dweller like me puff pretty good hikin around! :costumes:

-Ed-

Hey All,

Another leg to El Alto (SLLP) near La Paz an airport at an altitude of over 13,000 ft. Sure makes for a short descent from cruise altitude! :mixedsmi: Nice afternoon flight into the evening. Too dark to see lake Titicaca very well - maybe on the way out. The landing got crazy as as I neared the ground wind blew me left of the runway and I thought sure I was going to hit trees and crash. ATC sure coulda told me about the wind. Fortunately the Kodiak is a bush plane and made to land beside not on runways! :costumes: Neat to see some old C-46s though.

-Ed-

Hey All,

Need to post the Duenna from the last leg. Also included is a map of progress so far.

This airport at La Paz marks a key decision point. Pretty much straight east of me is the center of the continent and one of my mandatory landings from which I could then head ENE toward Africa. If I'm to go on to Antartica for the optional Antartica continental landing I should continue south from here. What to do???

-Ed-

Statistics to date

Hours - 43:58:14
    Distance - 7537.5 nm

Hey All,

The lack of oxygen at 13,000 ft in La Paz was getting to me as I tried to decide which way to go and so thought I'd do a short flight to Chacalluta (SCAR) near Arica on the coast - take a walk on the beach and make up my mind. Met a guy on the beach - says the best wine in all of Chile is at Huancara. Got my attention! :mixedsmi:

-Ed-

Hey All,

Scar to Huancara (SCVN) post haste! :costumes: Nice scenery - love the tractor - glad I came here! By now the die was cast - having come this far south I'd load up a few cases of wine as antifreeze :costumes: and hopefully celebrate New Year's Day in Antartica!

-Ed-

Hey All,

Had to push on toward Antartica. Headed for Pichoy Airport (SCVD) near Valdivia. Nice flight - one of the mountains in the second picture is Cerro Aconcauga the highest in South America.

-Ed-

Hey All,

Continuing on. Left Pichoy enroute to Teniente Vidal Airport (SCCY). Upon arrival I found the buildings and some of the ground mostly white! :redf: Dipped into one of the cases of wine! :costumes: Trust Ed to not ****! When I did I downloaded the other necessary files and all was well as seen in the next post.

-Ed-

Hey All,

SCCY in all it's glory!

-Ed-

Hey All,

Left Teniente Vidal headed for Teniente Julio Gallardo (SCNT). Actually had the same texture issue on this airport as the last but getting the right files in the right place sure works as the next post should show (on the take-off picture)! :redf: :costumes:

-Ed-

Hey All,

A short flight from SCNT to Carlos Ibanez Del Campo Intl (SCCI) north of the big city of Punta Arenas. This landing and the last one are starting to look like nasty RTW stuff! And I gotta say Chile is one loooong azz country! :costumes:

-Ed-

Hey All,

Left SCCI and headed for Teniente Rodolfo Marsh Martin (SCRM), King George Island, Antarctica! Plan for a quick landing and if enough time before dark on to RTW2008 Base on the Trinity Peninsula on Antartica proper. Long flight lots of water started thinking I could land on some of those clouds! :costumes: Wierd airport to land at didn't want to risk the water and so landed near the far end.

-Ed-

Hey All,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!:ernae:

from somewhere on the Trinity Peninsula on Antartica proper, Antartica, Earth. :costumes:

Got a couple cases of Chilean antifreeze (wine) for tonight and tomorrow a flight to Base Marambio (SAWB) for some chow and fuel and maybe a flight North back toward civilization! Meanwhile this is a good place to contemplate the world and the future from.

-Ed-

PS Didn't need those lights for the RTW2008 Antartica base - there was still enough light.

Statistics to date

Hours - 62:22:47
    Distance - 10573.1 nm

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
    Hey All,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!:ernae:

from somewhere on the Trinity Peninsula on Antartica proper, Antartica, Earth. :costumes:

Got a couple cases of Chilean antifreeze (wine) for tonight and tomorrow a flight to Base Marambio (SAWB) for some chow and fuel and maybe a flight North back toward civilization! Meanwhile this is a good place to contemplate the world and the future from.

-Ed-

PS Didn't need those lights for the RTW2008 Antartica base - there was still enough light.

Statistics to date

Hours - 62:22:47
    Distance - 10573.1 nm
    Happy New Year Ed!!,

Looking good,,,,it's summer in the southern hemisphere,,,,nice move,,,,you don't have to wear "long-johns" while flying,,,,much more enjoyable :costumes:

Great screenies and an interesting trip so far,,,,,thanks for posting your progress,,,,the Zodiac looks like a good choice of aircraft for this voyage.

Best regards,
    salt_air

Hey All,

Yeah Salt it is southern hemisphere summer so the night on the Antartic Peninsula wasn't too bad. Besides I had some good Chilean wine to fortify me - while I made my New Year's resolutions! :costumes: However by morning it was time to get outta there.

Made the short hop over to (SAWB) Base Marambio and swear to Gawd I thought sure Jeff Foxworthy was gonna come outta that trailer house. :costumes: Food was good and I got a tank of fuel for a departure north. Interesting how they put the airport on the only high ground around - what they expecting? - a tsunami? :costumes:

-Ed-

Hey All,

While at SAWB I realized that sooner or later I'd be in Europe and so thought I'd see if I could find some scones. Was told the nearest ones were at Mount Pleasant (EGYP) in the Falkland Islands. By now feeling the effects of a hangover from all that wine it seemed like the perfect time to cross a lot of water on autopilot. :mixedsmi: Boring flight for the most part except seeing that waterfall on the end of the runway at Base Marambio and had to dodge a sea king while taxiing to parking at Mount Pleasant. Seems to be a military kinda place. BTW is it legal to sleep in the back and just trust your autopilot on flights like this? :costumes:

-Ed-

Hey All,

Tea and scones are good but now had a hankerin for some good Argentine beef. South Americans generally know how to cook beef as it is some of the best anywhere! Amazing what a hangover will make you hungry for! :costumes:

Knowing that this flight would start in daylight and end in darkness even though days are long I needed an airport that would get me some distance, have lights and depending on weather an ILS. My choice was simple Esquel (SAVE) as in this airport has SAVEd many a pilots but as not a lot in the area have an ILS and are lit for night arrivals.

-Ed-

Hey All,

After a night at Esquel I decided to move on. Carrasco International near the big city of Montevideo Uruguay. Nice flight - longish though. Kinda foggy on approach but not bad. I am attempting to run a few longer legs in order to double check fuel consumption versus range - already thinking about that Atlantic crossing through Ascension Island to Africa - even though it's a ways away.

-Ed-

I didn't know the Kodiak had that kind of range. Over 5 hrs and 850+ miles on your last flight. Not bad!