VID CARD PROBLEM - FLYING IN FOG

Thread: VID CARD PROBLEM - FLYING IN FOG

VID CARD PROBLEM - FLYING IN FOG

since I am on a roll of asking questions and having them answered successfully tonight, I will try one more.

when flying in fog, my video card (GTX285) is having a few problems. in the photo below you wil see that the fog becomes 'banding'.

does anyone habe any tips on how to fix this?

cheers
    Murray

SOH-CM-2020

FX Textures

Hi Murray Cod, are you sure you aren't just missing a .dds file for a fog effect in Fxtextures?

Just a guess,
    D

Quote Originally Posted by Daiwilletti View Post
    Hi Murray Cod, are you sure you aren't just missing a .dds file for a fog effect in Fxtextures?

Just a guess,
    D
    thanks for help kicking off finding a solution. sorry to be a dill on my part, but how would I go about finding out if I was missing a file? is there a list of files that I should have somewhere?

I've had the same issue for years now.
    never figured out what causes it and I've had more than one video card.

Quote Originally Posted by dancat View Post
    I've had the same issue for years now.
    never figured out what causes it and I've had more than one video card.
    bugger

It's suspected that this is caused by the screen resolution aspects of 16:10 and 16:9. It doesn't do it in the 4:3 aspect screens. Old game, new widescreen monitors, go figure.

I use 16:10 and don't get this at all. As CFS3 accepts 16:10 and 16:9 resolutions without any fiddling around, it should work correctly, too. And does.

I go with the missing file school of thought. Does this happen with all your installs, including vanilla? If pure vanilla does it too, then it isn't a missing file, logically - barring corrupt files, etc...

I'd go into QC, and select each weather condition one after the other. Note down the ones you do get it with, and the ones you don't. Then go and open the relevant xml file in the weather folder. This in turn sends you to a further xml file in the clouds subfolder. This file tells you the name(s) of the dds texture files you need; these are in the effects folder, normally under weather, though they do sometimes get into skybox and fxtextures!

Hope this helps...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray Cod View Post
    thanks for help kicking off finding a solution. sorry to be a dill on my part, but how would I go about finding out if I was missing a file? is there a list of files that I should have somewhere?
    Hi Murray Cod,
    I tend to compare the contents of the FXtexture folder from one install to another. What I usually do is copy files across so that they are all the same size, but I seem to recall the MAW install is a bit of a trap because it uses dirt in a lot of its ground explosions - not necessarily what you want in the verdant fields of England/France.

So I would suggest you right click on the texture folders and go into properties, to see how many files you have and caompare each install. That will help narrow down if one install is lighter on the number of texture files (mind you I suspect PTO will be a bit smaller cos they keep it lean and mean which can be a good thing).

You can open up explorer twice and compare the files in two installs directly against each other by putting the windows side by side. I can't think of an easier way.... Suggest you include the Weather subfolder under the Effects folder, as well as Fxtextures subfolder. Sometimes I find duplicate textures so its a useful exercise if you get to clean out superfluous files.

cheers
    D

Blog Entries
    Hi Murray Cod

In effects's folder, just duplicate "fog1, fog2 and fog3" from weather's folder to fxtexture's folder.
    That's all.

Cheers.

Thanks for the Intel

So, copy these files from here :

Attachment 4091

and then paste them into here :

Attachment 4092

I'm trying this out today on my new Geforce 9800 GT video card, thanks much for the information! ~S~

Members who have read this thread: 0