Curtiss SB2C Helldiver wreckage discovered Oregon

Thread: Curtiss SB2C Helldiver wreckage discovered Oregon

Curtiss SB2C Helldiver wreckage discovered Oregon

PORTLAND, Ore. – Loggers working near the Oregon coast discovered the wreckage of a World War II-era warplane in woods not far from a naval air station decommissioned in 1948, military and police officials said Thursday.
    Investigators said human remains may be in the aircraft.

The origins of the Curtiss SB2C Helldiver, a U.S. Navy dive bomber, are a mystery. The crash site is not far from two naval air stations that were active during World War II.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_navy_plane_crash

Here's another link with some better info and site photos;

http://www.katu.com/news/89251767.html

Even more info here;

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index...ar_ii-era.html

Rockster234

MBR...........Mangled Beyond Recognition

MBR........

I was hoping for something to look at............jeez that's nasty. No wonder hikers might have seen it but not know what the heck it was.

Next ..........DB Copper will be found

Quote Originally Posted by Rockster234 View Post
    MBR........

I was hoping for something to look at............jeez that's nasty. No wonder hikers might have seen it but not know what the heck it was.

Next ..........DB Copper will be found
    He has already been found, he is talking to you now.

D Bones Cooper
    My Dad's last words to me were, "Son, an eagle may soar to great heights, but a weasel never gets sucked into a jet engine..."
    And then he died...
    He was sucked into a jet engine...

A remarkable and moving discovery worthy of dignity and respect and not humor IMHO.

I recall when Lady Be Good was found and the story rocked the nation in the late 50's, and how moved i was even tho i was young at the time.

The duty given and the sacrifices made by the service men and women of that war were and are monumental. I learned some years ago that there almost as many men killed in training accidents and routine misisons as in combat, i dont have enough accurate information to quote a figure but it was large.

I hope they do find the crew if this was indeed a WWII era crash, and that they find their rest. Thanks for sharing this.
    Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

Quote Originally Posted by CrisGer View Post
    A remarkable and moving discovery worthy of dignity and respect and not humor IMHO.

I recall when Lady Be Good was found and the story rocked the nation in the late 50's, and how moved i was even tho i was young at the time.

The duty given and the sacrifices made by the service men and women of that war were and are monumental. I learned some years ago that there almost as many men killed in training accidents and routine misisons as in combat, i dont have enough accurate information to quote a figure but it was large.

I hope they do find the crew if this was indeed a WWII era crash, and that they find their rest. Thanks for sharing this.
    That's one minus I've noticed about this forum, albeit one of the very few minuses, but like amateur/ham radio and it's overabundance of post-menopausal males, this forum is almost totally lacking in a sense of humor.

D Bones Cooper
    My Dad's last words to me were, "Son, an eagle may soar to great heights, but a weasel never gets sucked into a jet engine..."
    And then he died...

Perhaps Tony, but the fallen deserve more than humor. There's a time and place for everything, and while I certainly appreciate humor; the topic of missing and dead servicemen is probably not the place for it.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Rockster234

Forest of Oregon

I thought Oregon coast or Northern California would be a great place to live.

However, there is alot of forest and not many roads in that region. Vast areas of rugged terrain..........lots of rain and wind.................

The area between Hwy 101 coast and Interstate 5............southwest Oregon..........yikes would not want to break down in that region.

Everyone has problably seen the TLC series American Loggers.................

High remote wilderness to low people ratio.................Not a high economic diversity area......not much work right now. Getting lost there is not hard...............its probably a given.

Correct you are Rockster. I guess that is why it took so long for the missing airmen to be found.

By the way, I have traveled and walked quite a bit of the region north and south of Tillamook over the years. If you ever get to Tillamook, there is a great airplane museum at the old Naval Air Station and blimp base south of the town.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdflieger View Post
    Perhaps Tony, but the fallen deserve more than humor. There's a time and place for everything, and while I certainly appreciate humor; the topic of missing and dead servicemen is probably not the place for it.
    Though my family is not one that could be called "military", each and everyone served for the last 80 years with honor, with no dishonorable discharges, nor none killed. Several were wounded. but my uncles, cousins, and brothers all did their duty. My grandmother, who could not read, was a cook at the local military base during WW2, my Dad, who was refused active duty due to his deformed hip, worked at the same base and helped design the Sperry bomb sight. I missed Vietnam by 14 days but my bags were packed, I was promised a place on a LRRPs Ranger squad due to my former training in guerrilla/counter insurgency warfare. When it was apparent I wouldn't be forced to go, I didn't break my legs volunteering either.

I think records would show survivors of this crash, however I don't expect any remains to be found unless they bring in people from Project Moondust(crash retrieval).

I have no irreverence for any member of our armed forces, living or dead; DB Cooper was a thief, terrorist, and hijacker who threatened innocent civilians with death and deserving of any aspersions and perjoratives anyone wants to cast on him.

Good flying my friend

Bones
    And then he died...

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdflieger View Post
    Correct you are Rockster. I guess that is why it took so long for the missing airmen to be found.

By the way, I have traveled and walked quite a bit of the region north and south of Tillamook over the years. If you ever get to Tillamook, there is a great airplane museum at the old Naval Air Station and blimp base south of the town.
    If ever I'm in the area I'll check it out Jagd, thanks for the tip. I haven't been to the AF Museum over here for years, I hope to find the time to go someday soon.

Bones
    And then he died...