How bout a Turbo Lake Renegade?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How bout a Turbo Lake Renegade??

The ATOL and Icon aircraft reminded me of this cute little homebuilt. The Osprey 2

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Perei...-II/0717064/L/
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by pilottj View Post
    The ATOL and Icon aircraft reminded me of this cute little homebuilt. The Osprey 2

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Perei...-II/0717064/L/
    I don't remember which FS it was for but someone did one.
    USMC Retired SEMPER FI:USA-flag:

Charter Member 09
    The Seawind may look nice but it's got the same problem as the Renegade, only worse. That is, the engine is too high. As a result. like in the Renegade, theres the tendency to porpose and sudden movements of the throttle causes the airplane to nose dive in the water. The engine on the Seawind is set futher back, making the problem even worse. The Icon does not have that problem. The line of thrust is the same as the airplane.
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

SOH-CM-2023
    Actually, I spoke to the Owner of the Seawind company about that very thing. The engine is directly inline with the aft control surfaces and the pitch change, while still there, is nowhere near as severe as the Lake's...

He said he took a few Lake pilots out for a demo flight and they couldn't keep it level at first because they kept running the trim up and down like they have to do in the lake. He told them to leave the trim alone and they were able to fly the plane much more smoothly. only needing slight trim changes depending on the power.

You can hang a lot of power on a Seawind. Back when it was a kit plane, someone mounted a Walther Turboprop on one. (About 650 Shaft HP. Same engine they hang on the wings of a Let-410)

The Certification prototype and it's Test pilot were both lost a couple of years ago in a stall spin accident, setting the program back a couple of years.

The owner of the company actually built a kit Seawind and then decided to buy the company and put the airplane into production. He's a very nice guy. I got to speak with him several times as he brought the plane through Customs Back when I worked the ramp at KBTV.

Brian
    You can't take the sky from me...

Hi All:

I have a lot of pleasant memories of "real world" flying with my colleague in a Lake Amphibian LA4-200 EP (with the "bat-wing" fillets option) in & out of the Northwestern Chicago suburbs into upper Wisconsin.

My colleagues flight instructor, a noted Chicago businessman, also has a Lake (the Buccaneer 180) which he flies from Greenwood, IL at Galt (aka "One-Zero Charlie") up to a family estate on Bear Island in Ontario Canada.

I've always planned to go back and create FS scenery as a worthy tribute to the places I'd visited with my colleague to celebrate and share with others my great memories of the "real life" flying adventures we had... before health issues took their toll on him, and "restricted" his 'joy of flying '... to the "unlimited" world of Flight Simulator (and beyond).

I'd absolutely love to see an FSX update of the Lake Amphibians from John Woodward / RSDG ...and for a "new" model of the LA4-200 EP (with the "bat-wing" fillets option) to be made that I could texture with my many photos of the aircraft I took over the years.

BTW: I have 16-bit sound quality audio recordings from video, as well as still pics which might be of interest to those undertaking such a project. :iidea:

For those that might be less familiar with the excitement that these (now orphaned) aircraft offer, see:

See it in 480p full screen ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g57aZhsxJc

See it in 480p full screen ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7la060yXp4&feature=fvw

Brian: My colleague also did have a dream of being able to "upgrade" to a Seawind.

Helldiver: I hope you'll post some more pics of the "Plum Island" Lake in this thread... so we can all enjoy 'em !

This thread sure brings back great memories for me guys... thanks ! :ernae:

GaryGB

Charter Member 09
    The pictures that I took were all close up, like showing the rubber bumpers on the floats or detail on the flaps which are unusual. - Kinda boring.

It's too bad he stripped out the interior, as I kinda like the banged-up dash on that particular Lake. Maybe I can arrange a factory visit when I'm back out that way this summer, and get some other shots.

EDIT: scratch that. I thought they were in Maine somehow. Florida is a bit too far out of my way.

Oh Wow! Pays to cruise over here once and a while! I have stood on that dock numerous times when returning from 7-10 day canoe trips in Killarney park. The Lake Renegade has to be the noisiest aircraft relative to size on the planet. But I like it as it was the first aircraft I started to model when learning FSDS. Unfortunately, I never finished it :-(

Charter Member 09
    Lake Aircraft was a manufacturer of amphibious aircraft. Their factory was in Sanford, Maine, USA, and their sales offices were located at Laconia / Gulford, New Hampshire and Kissimmee, Florida.
    Now Sanford, Maine is next to Rochester, New Hampshire, about 40 miles from Plum Island Airport. Let me know when you'll be here and I will arrange a flight from Plum Island to Sanford, Maine. They have various Lake Amphibians in repair there. Every so often theres a start up building project but it's been shelved because of the economy.
    Plus they have a decent restaurant at Sanford. It's where Prez Bush, the elder, used to land when he was visiting his home in Maine. I got a wave from him but no invite for coffee. Even though my family have been Republicans since the Whigs and we share the same birthday, June 12th.

Quote Originally Posted by Helldiver View Post
    Lake Aircraft was a manufacturer of amphibious aircraft. Their factory was in Sanford, Maine, USA, and their sales offices were located at Laconia / Gulford, New Hampshire and Kissimmee, Florida.
    Now Sanford, Maine is next to Rochester, New Hampshire, about 40 miles from Plum Island Airport. Let me know when you'll be here and I will arrange a flight from Plum Island to Sanford, Maine. They have various Lake Amphibians in repair there. Every so often theres a start up building project but it's been shelved because of the economy.
    Plus they have a decent restaurant at Sanford. It's where Prez Bush, the elder, used to land when he was visiting his home in Maine. I got a wave from him but no invite for coffee. Even though my family have been Republicans since the Whigs and we share the same birthday, June 12th.
    Interesting. I was just going by their official website, which had Florida area codes by all the contact numbers. Yeah, count me in if you can arrange a flight up to Sanford. I'd be all over that!

Charter Member 2015
    Yep...holy thread revival and all that jazz!

Just wondering if anything ever came of the FSX'd Lake amphibian?
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Banned
    Blog Entries

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by FSX68 View Post
    That one had it's beginnings back in FS2002. I was hoping that a developer might be considering a native FSX build.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Last week on the Carenado site I suggested to them that a Lake Renegade would likely get a lot of attention.
    Now that there is the Alabeo development branch, we might get lucky if Carenado passes along the idea to them.
    Wouldn't hurt if a few others expressed an interest there.
    Who knows?
    Based on what Alabeo has been producing, I think they could make a top notch version.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Anderson View Post
    Based on what Alabeo has been producing, I think they could make a top notch version.
    Agreed.
    Best, Michael

Thats a really cool plane. I use to have a good one for FS9. It was fun to fly.

Blast To The Past

Well, back to 2010 anyway. I had it in FS9 and FSX (Original ver, not Accel) back then (same date as original posts-so it's 'ok'?). Lost files due to HD failure. But I have the FS9 FDEs. I am going to install in FSX Accelleration tonight and see whet happens. News at 11. Here is 'old' video I made: http://youtu.be/KWpKHTqvkIM .

I did not authorize the 'Fly Away' upload (I hate when they do that!!), so don't trust it? I wouldn't-it might 'call home' your personal info? It's at FltSimCom if you want 'my' original ('clean') files (FDEs) for John Woodward's Renegade. Fantastic model. I love the sound, too.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Lionheart Icon A5

Quote Originally Posted by joanvalley View Post
    Yes! Lionheart all written over it... or IRIS. Superb looking aircraft, looks like a racing car from the front.

Jose.
    Jose,

I e-mailed Bill once and asked him to make an Icon A5. He passed. Basically his response (if I remember correctly) was that there was an A5 in the new Microsoft flightsim (now defunct) so there was no need to make one. By the way, there is a freeware Icon A5 available for FSX. Just google it.

Joe