MASSIVE photoreal scenery of the entire united states

Thread: MASSIVE photoreal scenery of the entire united states

tigisfat

MASSIVE photoreal scenery of the entire united states

We're almost there, guys. I didn't know it, but the massive scenery developer has started offering 23 eastern states in addition to ALL the western states in the same package for the same price. I'll bet that within a year he'll have the entire country done.

This guy should be considered a hero. This has been a dream of mine for a long time. It's too bad that Aces put airports in the wrong places. Sooner or later, we need to start a freeware effort to line up all the airports. I'd start if I knew how. We could always start with the biggest airports and move down the list.

MCDesigns
    If this is SimSavvy http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_i...oducts_id=2392 it would be great if the product was of better quality. Resampling down to 2meter/pixel is worse than default. I'd fully support 1m/pixel or better with water masks, autogen and night textures.

Someone asked me last year what we could expect in the way of scenery. My reply was that we soon could expect to see scenery very much like Google Earth ...... all photoreal and streaming.
    Not too far off.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

Its definitely personal taste.

I'm just not that keen on photoscenery anymore.
    Used to be up to a few years ago.
    Absolutely loved the Megascenery for the NW I had in FS2004.

But now, I really like the blended look much better.
    Just enough of the aerial photo blended in to give someone an idea of the character of a small airport or town, for example.

Up higher photoscenery looks great.
    But its too blurry close up to the ground and often doesn't include autogen.
    And that's where I'm usually flying at these days.
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Yes, after PNW, I guess I am spoiled. I have this photoreal package FS Altitude which I really like at high altitude. But low, something like PNW is awesome.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Yeah, between the resolution, poor colors, inconsistent colors, lack of seasons, lack of water, lack of buildings, lack of trees, and lack of night, I don't see photoreal as offering a whole lot.

The FTX or UTX + GEX options offer way too many features that photoreal doesn't have right now, yet they take up a tiny amount of space in comparison.

Slug Flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    If this is SimSavvy http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_i...oducts_id=2392 it would be great if the product was of better quality. Resampling down to 2meter/pixel is worse than default. I'd fully support 1m/pixel or better with water masks, autogen and night textures.
    Wow.

Those screens look like...pardon my language...ass.

My problem sith Sim Savvy is, as I understand it, you have to pay $200.00 for the entire US and then wait for it to be completed. If you could buy it in sections, like Megascenery Earth, I'd definitely buy New York State just to check it out, but I won't spend $200.00 for areas where I don't fly.

I downloaded their Rhode Island demo and, as stated above, it looks fine at altitude, not so great near the ground.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Flyer View Post
    Wow.

Those screens look like...pardon my language...ass.
    Well, that puts a new "wrinkle" on things ! :toilet:

NoNewMessages
    Just trying to use some simple math, 1 meter for the CONUS would need about 3.5 TB of storage space. That's one season, so since the customer must be served and all five seasons done we're now pushing 18 TB. Night textures can be done at a lower resolution, so add in another 2 TB and we're up to 20 TB. And autogen for 3, 119, 902 square miles shouldn't take too long. Line up over 15,000 airports, provide mesh for the area with the airports all blended into the terrain. Build a custom computer, personally delivered in the CONUS.

Ah well, dream time is over. Now back to fixing a dead computer...

Quote Originally Posted by LCSims View Post
    Just trying to use some simple math, 1 meter for the CONUS would need about 3.5 TB of storage space. That's one season, so since the customer must be served and all five seasons done we're now pushing 18 TB. Night textures can be done at a lower resolution, so add in another 2 TB and we're up to 20 TB. And autogen for 3, 119, 902 square miles shouldn't take too long. Line up over 15,000 airports, provide mesh for the area with the airports all blended into the terrain. Build a custom computer, personally delivered in the CONUS.
    And that's why traditional scenery is best for large areas. :salute:

Members who have read this thread: 1