How far is your job from your house
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How far is your job from your house

Retired SOH Administrator

Question How far is your job from your house

This week I have been working up at the corporate offices which at first I thought I would like but it is 188 mile round trip. I swear when I start the trip back home my eyes get heavy...lol. I leave around 6:00am and get there around 8:00am and get home around 5 or so. I don't know how some of the guys who work a hundred or so miles do it each day. Moe must be a old puss...lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

:salute:
    I only drive 32 miles each way. My hat's off to you!
    Sue

Charter Member 2011
    10 min walk down the road
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

harleyman
    Hmmm ....maybe 8 miles each way into town....

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Very short drive.. Like just a few feet.. Cant bring the car in the house, so I cant drive to work. Very short walk. The garage is farther then my office..

Saves on fuel.

Rarely late for work.

Only traffic is Junior when he is stretching in the morning...

:d
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Very short drive.. Like just a few feet.. Cant bring the car in the house, so I cant drive to work. Very short walk. The garage is farther then my office..

Saves on fuel.

Rarely late for work.

LOL, I was about to answer the same thing Bill, but I would be lting. I am retired and my job goes all day and all over, anyone else retired with family to look after knows where I am coming from. I get at the computer in the morning and stop by for short frequent missives, but I pretty much stay on the run.

Caz

The last 11 years the trip to work takes me about 15 minutes. For 9 years before that ~ 35 minutes. I've done that hour and a half one way drive to work thing. Never want to do it again! Best was when I worked in Athens, TX. My apartment was 3 miles from work.
    XP Pro: Intel D975XBX2 /QX6700 @ 3.50GHz / 8800GTX / 2X2GB G.Skill PC2 8500 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 320GB Seagate 7200.10 / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON 20X DVD / X-FI Music

Vista Ultimate 64: Intel D975XBX2 / Q6700 @ 3.6GHz / 8800GTX / 4X2GB G.Skill PC2 8000 / Ultra 120 Extreme / 150GB Raptor / 750GB WD Caviar / PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU / CM Stacker 810 / LITE-ON SATA DVD / onboard sound

Happiness Consultant
    As the crow flies, I'm not that far from work, about 7 miles, however, as one has to drive in intercity traffic both ways, it boils down to about 10-11 miles one way. It takes me anywhere from 25 to 40 minutes to get from point A to point B.
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Retired SOH Administrator

Icon5 2,000 miles away...

Glad there is a computer.....

I can work in my bedroom....

I work and play at the same time, and chat with friends,

I slack all day.... (Joke)

Chacha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just wish I had a job to go to. I'm still looking, anyone need a Computer Aided Design operator?

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    Takes me about 15-20 minutes from my door to the front door of work.
    Last year before moving it was 7 minutes.

SdC Redux
    Until last year I had a job that took me all across our vast country (Netherlands), average 2.5 hours/day by car. Got so sick of that that I quit and took a job 10 minutes by bicycle away! Much healthier and happier now for sure!

A little over 13 miles one way. Takes about 20 minutes average commute, sometimes longer if the Interstate has a lot of traffic.

--WH

Human Drone
    I go 26.5 miles through Pittsburgh. There's no real way around it. On a good day, it's 45 min. each way. On a bad day, well, the worst I've had is 2 hours...

But some days I can work from home, so that helps. It's tough losing 1.5 hrs each day when I have land to tend, an extensive "honey-do" list, and a sim or two to fly! Maybe that's why I'm still at the "Human Drone" level of ability!

I live in Amarillo, Texas and work in a small town 60 mile to the norheast so my commute is 120 miles a day. Thank goodness I car pool. Before moving here I lived in Houston and commuted 60 miles everyday and that commute took as longe as what I do now..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm in the same boat as Caz. Work for me is the Honey Do List. GTO and playin on the computer is the fun work. :d

To tell the truth tho, I'd rather be working.......... Retirement sucks!
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

I'm retired, but the last 10 years of my career involved a 90 minute drive, one way. It was especially tough when getting off at 6:00AM after a mid-watch.

Bob

Thumbs up

To my home, it's a 190 mile round trip.
    On top of working a 12 hour shift I got real tired of losing 2.5-3hrs every day driving (or falling asleep at the wheel). I have been renting an apartment 5 miles from work for several years now and am saving a fair amount on gas by paying rent/utilities instead, but I still want to find something to purchase soon. Rent money is a no-return investment but at least I once again have a bit more time to get other things done besides eat/sleep/work/drive/repeat.

when i did work,,i drove from my apartment to my dads house,maybe 1/4 of a mile at most,BUT then we got in the work truck and some days we would drive 200+ miles to do a new home( i hated that,i allways felt tired when we got to work)then drove back home..we worked as far south at yosemite park boundry,,reno,,,redding ,,and SF

35 km one way, which is a 30 min bike ride, or anything over 45 min by car....
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

About 30 miles one way...but it's painless and I'm early enough to avoid any real traffic.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Quote Originally Posted by Moparmike View Post
    To my home, it's a 190 mile round trip.
    Dang Mike!

22 miles each way for me. I don't mind the drive, its the toll fees that beat me down.

My drive is about 9.5 miles - 20-25 minutes - each way, no - freeway travel.

As the crow flies, from about 5 mile south of KATL 7/25 to about 1/4 mile north of KATL 9L/27R.

Duckie
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post

Saves on fuel.

Rarely late for work.

Working out of the house, like Bill.
    Absolutely love it.
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt