~ Less Than 12 Hours Remaining ~ ... latest PCAviator "Deal-Of-The-Day" C-5m Galaxy

Thread: ~ Less Than 12 Hours Remaining ~ ... latest PCAviator "Deal-Of-The-Day" C-5m Galaxy

~ Less Than 12 Hours Remaining ~ ... latest PCAviator "Deal-Of-The-Day" C-5m Galaxy

..... Latest Deal-Of-The-Day: C-5M Super Galaxy (for FS9 & FSX)

.....http://www.flightsimdealoftheday.com/home.php

..... ....................................... < $15 !

​.

Am able to see that this Area 51 C-5M could well frustrate some simmers trying to install it. My rig has Vista 64 bit OS, so the installer had to be shown the correct path after I created a new folder in FSX\Sim Objects\Airplanes\ named:
    "Area 51 Simulations C-5M Super Galaxy", & after that the path I directed the installer to is as follows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Area 51 Simulations C-5M Super Galaxy

Worked like a champ after that. First impressions: Flies nice, smooth & heavy as it should, a little harder on fps than many but acceptable, looks nice, sound cfg file aliases to the default B737_800 soundset. Well worth the 15 clams so far.

*Edit*- Sound sets available, one by Devyn Silverstein: file cf680c2b.zip , General Electric CF6-80E1A Sound Set @ FlightSim.com's file library. AvSim has it too. Much better.

​.

tigisfat
    Does it still have the garbage flight model (from it's dad, the AS C-5) that requires half throttle to get any thrust? I think it does, if not I'll snap it up. Please let me know. For those of you that don't know, this is a made-over Alphasim C-5. It does look great though, the FDE just had ruined it.

Quote Originally Posted by tigisfat View Post
    Does it still have the ... flight model (from it's dad, the AS C-5) that requires half throttle to get any thrust?
    That sounds about right... especially when stationary on the ground & wanting to roll, though not so much once you get moving. Same in the air (not as much), though it does take much more than one would expect it too. The flight dynamics are way "sloshy" as well. So long as you make easy, lumbering & accurate banks it's fine, but a strong correction on final will have you noticeable sliding to the side too much before the model catches up with it. It, too, is something to tinker with, just as the sound.cfg file aliased to a default Boeing already has been here. Am regarding it as a little side project.

​.

Was there ever a paint kit released for this?
    Swa se ðeodkyning þeawum lyfde

I have a great fix for those who are getting an FPS hit its dead easy to do and only requires a small change in the panel.cfg! I will post it when I get home from work!:salute:

Chris- There is, indeed, a paintkit that comes with it, zipped in the aircraft folder.

Peter- Good deal! Will look for the panel.cfg mod from you later. Appreciated!

*Edit*- Have spent some time perusing through 14 pages of C-5M Super Galaxy info in Area 51's forum.
    ........................... http://www.area51sim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3
    .. The latest from a developer on a fairly new thread (after pushing 2 months of silence on the other):

" Dear Customers,

I want to inform you that a huge update on C-5M is coming very soon.
    Now we are working together with real C-5M pilots about the tests. It
    will be ready very soon. I think in 2 weeks you can download it.

Area 51 Simulations "

........................... http://www.area51sim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26
    Whether or not this is an upgraded AlphaSim model or not leaves to be seen. Perhaps this is what was being referred to
    by one of their developers towards the end of the first linked thread when he says, "We worked at another military modelling
    areas and we can't tell the customers because of the contract." There is no direct reference to AlphaSim, though knowing
    some of what goes on behind the scenes with several other developers it wouldn't surprise me if it is true. If it is then it is a
    greatly improved product. The review on FlightSim by Bill Stack indicates that there is no Uninstall with it, though I found it
    located within the aircraft folder itself.

​.

Yeah, times up on this bargain, though for the sake of adding more
    info I'll post again. Am hearing on Area 51's message board as well
    as privately that my installation solution is working. Good deal!

Also, have found an overall great sound set, imo: the TSS 747 RR.
    I listened to many of their sets via their YouTube videos & that one
    came the closest to my in-person C-5 memories. $13 USD for it but
    oh-so-worth it. Just the ground rolling sound loop annoys me & that
    one can be easily found a substitute for. Too much touchdown smoke
    as well, also easily replaced with a lesser amount of smoke. Now,
    if we can just get the flight dynamics spiffed up (Tigisfat is correct).
    Apparently they are being worked on by real-world C-5m pilots. It
    should be well worth the wait. Quite the model visually & getting there
    in many other regards. The flap animations go too fast as do the gear.
    The developers are saying in about 2 weeks... though they have said
    this a few times before. Time will tell.

Personally, am one agreeing with others: finish this project,
    make it shine... then go on to the upcoming projects. Doing art
    well is the best revenge, eh?

​.

tigisfat
    It is most positively and certainly the old AS model, I know this for a fact. It's not a bad thing, either. It was great and cutting edge back then, just the FDE blew. I think it's actually cool when developers recycle old models. It's beneficial for us because it cuts down production time and allows us to have up to date versions of old aircraft we love. The textures on the new one are beautiful. I'll think more seriously about it when I hear the results of the new FDE.

So this is FSX native, right? Might have to pick it up when it goes back on sale this weekend...

How did that fix work, did you find it useful?

Hi Peter. Gave it a go, noticing that you'd reduced the 2nd 1024s lines to 512s with one 768 in there. It made no difference that I could discern though am most appreciative of you making the effort. Perhaps there was no difference seen because my rig has a 1 GB GPU, stronger system balance-wise than my wee 2.2 Ghz AMD quad, not sure. Thanks.

Still tinkering with the great TSS RR soundset purchased separately, changing the rolling .wav with another less clanky/chattery. Next: a little less touchdown smoke. The most annoying thing about it is what Tig has already pointed out- you need nearly half throttle to get any amount of thrust. Sure hoping those guys follow through with the promised big update. With real world C-5M pilots working with them there should be some fine improvements coming down the pike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMAts2f1jXA <--- Loud, screaming monster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldP5f...eature=related <--- Some rear gear gets hung up.

​.

ahh its a shame it didn't work for you, it worked great on my poor computer but still, hope you get it fixed soon! You could try changing the 768 one to 512 and that might help also, I've noticed I can fly this with minimal fps hit with the texture slider set to medium anything above with this and you get the fps hit! Try that also!