Solomons Carrier Traffic: Testers Needed - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Solomons Carrier Traffic: Testers Needed

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by dswo View Post
    This is a known problem with FSX and W7. Fortunately, there's an easy fix: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=265677.

Thank you Sir! Working just fine now!
    If government was the answer, it was a stupid question!

Blog Entries
    You don't need AI carriers; the tracks here are all self-standing, so long as the files are copied in the right places, the proper folder is added to the scenery library, and boat traffic is >= 5%.

I really need to make at least one saved flight so that people can test whether the tracks are working. Any suggestions for a freeware plane?
    hmmm.. intersting, cuz i took all the folders and simply dropped them into my main fsx folder,.. With that ai carriers carrier at one end of the gulf, i was able to see it from the opposite end, and since it was a bit after 2000 hours, all i can think is that the boats simply didnt show up.. I wonder whats different on my machine that they dont show up for me, and yet knowing they show up for other people.

Ok, here's a quick and dirty sample flight using the freeware FM-2 mentioned above: http://www.box.net/shared/65qlk77ym8. Unzip it wherever you keep your saved flights (usually in the Flight Simulator X Files subfolder of My Documents). If everything's installed correctly, you should load on deck the Enterprise. I just landed, so if you want to take off again you'll need to clean up the flaps and tailhook first.
    David Wilson-Okamura

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
    Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
    A lonely impulse of delight
    Drove to this tumult in the clouds.
    -- W. B. Yeats, "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death"

Blog Entries
    my plane dont have a tail hook.. apparently, something somewhere is not being copied corrctly, because i unzipped the folders to my fsx root directory, and well, a picture says a thousand words..

No Big E.. I've gone through and checked file locations and made sure everything is where its supposed to be, I just dont understand why its not showing up..

Assuming all of the files and folders are in the right place, I can think of two explanations:

1. The new scenery folder hasn't been added yet to the scenery library. (I know you're an old hand, but I'm just running through the checklist.)

2. You have an FS9 traffic file installed somewhere. These will work in FSX, but they can block the boat traffic files (which this package is based on). It is possible to convert the old files to FSX traffic format, using the freeware AI Planner -- but I haven't done this myself.
    David Wilson-Okamura

All is well here!

It seems to work OK for me. I have seen and landed on the carriers going both directions around Vella Lavella so far. Have not looked for the boats in the slot yet.

Dave
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I am going to follow up on Pam's suggestion for the larger groups later on. Meanwhile...nice screenshot, Mark!
    David Wilson-Okamura

Blog Entries
    I'm not aware that i've installed any traffic files, but i wont rule out the possibility that one was installed with some of the fs9 software i've installed into fsx.. Theres also a remote possibility that it may be a kerfuggled scenery file, as i have modified rendova using both scenery shortcut, and instant scenery.. oddly, my little airport shows up, as does the yacht and trawler traffic that are default, but then, i would expect them too. i'll try turning off rendova to see if that changes things.. maybe move it to anther directory for a test..
    Thanks david..

Lipra / Aoraki

I have the same problem as warchild

I just get the aircraft hanging in the that I chose the f-18 just for testing purposes. I also have the same problem in the package for the Nimitz in that most are OK but some IE.Cuba have no carrier. I would appreciate any help in this as I think 1 solution will correct the other I am unaware of any fs9 AI files but if someone could indicate the folder concerned I will move it out and start again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipra View Post
    I just get the aircraft hanging in the that I chose the f-18 just for testing purposes. I also have the same problem in the package for the Nimitz in that most are OK but some IE.Cuba have no carrier. I would appreciate any help in this as I think 1 solution will correct the other I am unaware of any fs9 AI files but if someone could indicate the folder concerned I will move it out and start again.
    The main place where you'll find traffic files is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Scenery. But they can be in any scenery folder (as this add-on demonstrates). Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

I do have a new version of the traffic file itself: http://www.box.net/shared/2noa90yvn6. Nothing radically different: after consulting Pam's website, I decided it was reasonable to add a light carrier and at least one more destroyer to the Enterprise groups. To my surprise, the saved flight still works.
    David Wilson-Okamura

Blog Entries
    yeahhh, i disabled all scenery except default, and theres a possibility that rex2 weather had something in memory even though i turned it off when it popped up.. I know other people arent having any problems at all, but for some unkown reason, it just wont show up on my system..
    gonna keep investigating it though, see what i can figure out..

Version 1.3 is now available for testing: http://www.box.net/shared/tbk6p2ybdr. It adds a bunch of US supply ships (the S.S. Adventure steamer courtesy of Phil Crowther) and IJN destroyers (courtesy of Ron Jeffers). Maps and more details in the readme. I'm basically following the outline provided earlier by Mark Schimmer.

Still looking for some FSX boat models: IJN anything (we now have a destroyer), US Liberty ship, US LST.

NOTE:

If you've installed a previous version, you should delete the earlier trafficSolomonsCarriers.bgl file. Because the package has now broadened, I have divided the traffic into two files, trafficSolomonsIJN.bgl and trafficSolomonsUSN.bgl. If you leave the original .bgl in place you are going to see weird duplicates.

If you've already installed a previous version, you do NOT need to delete any of the boat models. My advice, unless you have a customized setup, is just to copy the new set of models and overwrite the old ones. But if you want to be on the safe side, the new boats are "Japanese Destroyer" and "SS Adventure Steamer AI."

There are also some new effects, so be sure you copy those over too.

The saved test flight still works: see http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post374054.

HOW YOU CAN HELP: If you see a ship that has run aground, save the flight and send it to me. This is most likely to be a problem with the US supply route, which travels through some narrow passages (where the FSX shorelines don't always match up with the Google Earth images that were used in plotting the route).
    David Wilson-Okamura

Thanks Dave. Had no problems finding the ships with v1.0!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

We're up to version 1.3 now; I just added some more USN destroyers around New Georgia, Gizo, and Bougainville; also increased the frequency for a couple IJN routes.

No need to redownload the whole 17 mb if you have already have 1.2, just some new scenery files: http://www.box.net/shared/3ci7lnvzj0 and http://www.box.net/shared/tnlyexmt8g.
    David Wilson-Okamura

Dave,

Was just doing a dawn patrol in my P-38 near Munda. Spotted the supply steamer on its own - looked very period and authentic. Then, south of Munda I found the USN fleet. Only thing is that the battlewagons, CV's and DD's were all x 2, i.e. the NJ was followed by the NJ, the Hornet by the Hornet etc. Checked scenery folder and just have the three bgl's there (the 1.3 v is working since I spotted the supply steamer).

I have been waiting for someone to do this for a long time and it is very cool.

Thanks for your great work and regards

expat
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Only thing is that the battlewagons, CV's and DD's were all x 2, i.e. the NJ was followed by the NJ, the Hornet by the Hornet etc. Checked scenery folder and just have the three bgl's there (the 1.3 v is working since I spotted the supply steamer).
    That's easy to fix:

If you've installed a previous version, you should delete the earlier trafficSolomonsCarriers.bgl file. Because the package has now broadened, I have divided the traffic into two files, trafficSolomonsIJN.bgl and trafficSolomonsUSN.bgl. If you leave the original .bgl in place you are going to see weird duplicates.
    When you're done, you should have two bgl files.
    David Wilson-Okamura

Got it! Thanks!

If anyone's flying the Vertigo Dauntless in these parts, I've swapped in a Solomons chart for the map tray. See http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post379105.
    David Wilson-Okamura

Just wanted to say thank you for the nice addon and share some shots. I left the extra traffic bgl in as I like the bigger fleets the duplicate traffic gives you.

I just noticed that my version 1.3 link was still pointing to the 1.2 file. Still not sure how that happened -- user error, no doubt -- but here's the correct link: http://www.box.net/shared/tbk6p2ybdr. No need to do anything if you already have 1.2 and have downloaded the newer .bgl files.

Again, I apologize for confusion and frustration.
    David Wilson-Okamura

Version 1.5 is now available for testing: http://www.box.net/shared/9ing89m5u3. The previous version has been removed.

Additions, changes:

+ Phil Crowther's Liberty Ship, recompiled for Ian Thatcher, has replaced "Adventure" steamer for USN supply runs
    + IJN supply ships around Bougainville (currently using default model)
    + PT boats, using a model provided by Jim Dhaenens, now patrol the same routes as the USN destroyers, plus the Blackett Strait where Kennedy was rammed
    + USN Cruisers, using a model provided by Bruce Fitzgerald, have now been added to the carrier groups and also patrol the same routes as the USN destroyers, but at a faster speed.

We have now filled in most of Mark Schimmer's original outline; the only things missing are LVCPs and USN submarines. Thank you to Mark and to all the modelers who allowed us to distribute their work as part of this freeware package.
    David Wilson-Okamura

Charter Member 2012
    Here's a little something to help out, Vertigo Studios (Real Flight) F6F-3 Hellcat as VF-40 who were stationed at Barakoma I've done side Nos 1 through 7.

Bruce
    My system specs are The wifey says no to a new computer

Great Carrier looks awesome and fantastic pics!!!

Members who have read this thread: 1