So who's gettinf fired up for the biggest DC-3/C-47 formation since WWII?

Thread: So who's gettinf fired up for the biggest DC-3/C-47 formation since WWII?

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries

So who's gettinf fired up for the biggest DC-3/C-47 formation since WWII?

Just wondered how many of you guys are following the opening day activities at Oshkosh this year?
    The "BIG" thing to see opening day for me will be an airshow opening formation fly-over.
    They started out trying to have as many as 25 DC-3/C-47's in formation.
    They now believe they will have 40! New world record (not including WWII).
    They think they will get 50 to attend the convention. They say that the fly-over will have a combined 96,000HP!
    Can't wait to hear that!

http://www.airventure.org/news/2010/...c3growing.html

And don't forget this year's opening day concert featuring the band Chicago.
    Already praying for good weather!

That would be an awesome sight, wish I could be there to see it. But I bet someone will record it and put it on youtube.
    Also it would be nice to see Chicago again, one of the all time great bands.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I hope they can pull it off. That would be quite a news maker.
    The intention seems to be a lofty goal though. The fact that it would take some time to get that many up in a given radius and form up and then come in on an fly over is quite a daunting task in in perfect weather. I was at Mustangs and Legends in 2007 and the word was that 51 ponies would fly together in a 51 formation for the final act. But even with those agile fighters and good weather the task of coordinating and getting the experienced skill needed in the air at the same time was to much. 20 out of about 75 in attendance was the number settled on and it still took almost 45 minutes to get them in a formation of a 51. I hope I am wrong.

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
    Henny Youngman

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashing Time View Post
    I hope they can pull it off. That would be quite a news maker.
    The intention seems to be a lofty goal though. The fact that it would take some time to get that many up in a given radius and form up and then come in on an fly over is quite a daunting task in in perfect weather. I was at Mustangs and Legends in 2007 and the word was that 51 ponies would fly together in a 51 formation for the final act. But even with those agile fighters and good weather the task of coordinating and getting the experienced skill needed in the air at the same time was to much. 20 out of about 75 in attendance was the number settled on and it still took almost 45 minutes to get them in a formation of a 51. I hope I am wrong.

The mass arrival fly-in was capped at 40 aircraft, which will stage at Whiteside County Airport in Sterling/Rock Falls, Ill., beginning on Saturday, July 24, with support provided by M & M Aviation. Following a media day and dinner on July 25, the formation's pilots will have their full safety briefing on Monday morning, July 26, prior to the public departure for Oshkosh. The full group, with a combined 96,000 horsepower, is scheduled to arrive at AirVenture in time to open that day's afternoon air show with an unforgettable flyover.
    The plan is to have all the aircraft in the air and formed up in about an hour. Then head for Oshkosh.

i bet most of them will be from douglasdc3.com

http://www.thelasttime.org/

Yeah, Don't forget there are two other major gatherings this year....

B-25's
    B-17's
    Champaign Lady Volunteer.

Just a side note, I thought this was an interesting perspective of daily 8th AF mission assembly during the war.

http://blogengeezer.wordpress.com/20...hth-air-force/

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
    Henny Youngman

gonna have to go a couple times this year, just going one day isnt enough.