F-100 Super Sabre - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F-100 Super Sabre

Yep, I was definitely there in 67 as that was the year (actually June 5th) of the 3Day War between Egypt and Israel. Within days of it beginning, every dependent was brought onto the base, the gates were closed to anyone not already on the base and they began almost non-stop flights out of Wheelus to get everyone off the base safely before the War got under way. By the time it was over, the only people left on the base were Military assigned there, everyone else was gone. Because of our obvious mission, we were unable to fly, which left us with little to do beyond hangar maintenance on the aircraft. No engine runs were permitted, even taxiing aircraft was stopped because we were told it would appear that we were somehow helping the Isreali's.

That went on for 3 months. . .we spent a lot of our time doing building upkeep, painting, trash cleanup, anything to stay occupied. Since the Med was right across the street from the main hangar, we spent a fair amount of time in the water, but under the watchful eye of the Security Police who patrolled the shoreline. Finally, in late August, we got the word that one of our F-100's was going to launch the next day. The scenario was that if he took off and circled the pattern and then landed, we would be staying. If he took off and headed north out over the Med. . .we were gone. It was also circulated that if we had to leave (basically being forced off the base) that we would leave no building standing, that as our planes left, they would return to level the base. A lot of folks really wanted that to happen, lol.

Anyway, the next day the aircraft took off, climbed out over the Med. . . . .then leveled off and made the pattern. . .several times. . . .lol and then made one final high speed pass, pitched up, kicked in the AB and climbed through the clouds. . .lots of cheers went up on the Flight Line and around the base.

Eventually, the dependents who had left were returned to Wheelus if they still had sufficient time on their tour, if they were "short" they were sent on to the US and their better half in the Military was also shipped home. I stayed another 9 months and headed home, despite my desire to stay another tour. As it turns out, had I come back for a second tour, I would have run into "Chappie" James who ended up being the last base Commander at Wheelus and who had a rather famous encounter with Muammar Gaddafi at the main gate to the base prior to the base closing in June 1970. . .but that's another story, lol.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Wheelus

It is a small world. Nice to hear you survived the pullout. :salute:

Yep, I've always wondered how it would be to go back to Wheelus and just walk around. I know every street and building on that base. That'll never happen though, so every once in a while I pull up Google Earth and I walk the streets and remember.:salute:

Current System Specs:

Photobucket

Riptide,

That video of the Hun is one of my favorites. My father flew Super Sabres on the Skyblazers out of Bitburg from 1956-1960, and then went stateside to teach at Luke and Nellis in the Fighter Weapons School..... He saw your video when it first came out, he got it in an e-mail from one of his buddies and then passed it along to me. We both enjoyed it very much, thanks for the great work!

Also, another big thank you to Henk and Falcon for their work on the donationware sabre..... It is really shaping up nice guys. :salute:

Icon5 Thanks

Thanks for the kudos, Skyblazer.
    It really is nice to hear it has been enjoyed by so many people.

Classic Warbirds Design Team/SOH Donationware F-100D Super Sabre for FSX Acceleration

Today, I uploaded the FSX portover to the Add-Ons Library:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...s.php?catid=34

This portover of the FS9 freeware Classic Warbirds Design Team/SOH Donationware F-100C Super Sabre was made specific for FSX Acceleration. The manual and sounds are not included, you may get them from the original FS9 package which can be found in the SOH library:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=32&linkid=73

Credits:
    - Classic Warbirds Design Team/SOH Donationware: Original FS9 package
    - SOH Charter Member Falcon409 : VC & default 2D panel fixes. His outstanding work on the VC gauge re-mapping was essential for this project !
    - Tim "Piglet" Conrad : F-5A, OV-10A and MS-760 gauges
    - Jason Sparkes (UKMIL) : Freeware repaint 56-3206
    - SOH Member Skyblazer3 : Testing & advise

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    Classic Warbirds Design Team/SOH Donationware F-100D Super Sabre for FSX Acceleration

This portover of the FS9 freeware Classic Warbirds Design Team/SOH Donationware F-100C Super Sabre was made specific for FSX Acceleration. The manual and sounds are not included, you may get them from the original FS9 package which can be found in the SOH library:

Credits:
    - SOH Charter Member Falcon409 : VC & default 2D panel fixes. His outstanding work on the VC gauge re-mapping was essential for this project !
    Just curious:

Is this a "C" or "D" model? The reason I ask is because this model doesn't have trailing edge flaps. Which would be consistent with a "C" model.

Trailing edge flaps weren't introduced on the F-100 until the 'D' variant.

Or am I missing something?

-G-
    Visit my website www.scale-aviation.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral-G View Post
    Just curious:

Is this a "C" or "D" model? The reason I ask is because this model doesn't have trailing edge flaps. Which would be consistent with a "C" model.

Trailing edge flaps weren't introduced on the F-100 until the 'D' variant.

Or am I missing something?

-G-
    I believe it's a C model.

Quote Originally Posted by Bone View Post
    I believe it's a C model.
    Thanks Bone.

Just wanted to make sure.

All I know is that it's the same model that was originally offered by Donationware. There were no modeling changes done to it, just a VC update and I believe someone adjusted the FDE as well. That's it I believe.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    All I know is that it's the same model that was originally offered by Donationware. There were no modeling changes done to it, just a VC update and I believe someone adjusted the FDE as well. That's it I believe.
    No worries Falcon. Just a bit of confusion when I hopped in the plane (after finally getting it to work on my rig) and went to set flaps and nothing happened.

Henk's description said F-100D so that made me think I needed to do something different to lower the flaps. But now knowing it's actually a C it makes perfect sense that there are no flaps.

-G-

If you don't like the auto-deploy feature of the slats, you can remove the "F-100!Autoflaps" gauge
    from the panel cfg virtual cockpit 01 section. Then they will operate with the normal flap extension/retraction method, when you're ready for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bone View Post
    If you don't like the auto-deploy feature of the slats, you can remove the "F-100!Autoflaps" gauge
    from the panel cfg virtual cockpit 01 section. Then they will operate with the normal flap extension/retraction method, when you're ready for them.
    I noticed that when I was going thru the gauges to see which one may have been causing my CTD. Found out it was the "aircraft cast shadows on itself" box being ticked on the settings screen causing the freeze up when switching to spot view.

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post

Credits:
    This has me puzzled and I haven't managed yet to locate my original purchased Super Sabre. My issue is with the sound or to be precise, lack of it. The FSX port is aliased with the F-18, the note states that the sounds are in the FS9 freeware version. I have looked at the FS9 freeware version and the sound is aliased with the Lear 45. Therefore, there are no specific sounds with that version. Can anyone shed light on the sounds for the Super Sabre? I shall continue looking for my original FS9 version in case it has specific sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by dharry View Post
    This has me puzzled and I haven't managed yet to locate my original purchased Super Sabre. My issue is with the sound or to be precise, lack of it. The FSX port is aliased with the F-18, the note states that the sounds are in the FS9 freeware version. I have looked at the FS9 freeware version and the sound is aliased with the Lear 45. Therefore, there are no specific sounds with that version. Can anyone shed light on the sounds for the Super Sabre? I shall continue looking for my original FS9 version in case it has specific sounds.
    You're right about the sounds being aliased to either the F-18 or the Lear. . .those are your choices, there never was a true F-100 Super Saber soundset. Best bet is to find a good soundset from an F-16 aircraft (payware if you have either the Aerosoft or Iris versions) freeware offering. That's what I use and what sounds fairly close to what I remember them sounding like when I worked on them every day for 2 years, lol

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by dharry View Post
    If you had any sounds they were probably added by some third party when the aircraft started being freely available a couple years ago. Just looked at my FS9 installed copy with folder dates of June 2005. It aliased the Lear 45 sounds. It was installed from my original donationware copy with a password as I recall.
    :ernae:

Thanks for the replies guy's. I shall have a search through my aircraft collection and use the sound from another jet of that era with a P&W J57 engine.

The first aircraft that I found in my archives with an engine similar to the Super Sabre was my trusty old Alphasim F-8 Crusader from FS9. I think I will try the sounds from that. If anyone has a better suggestion, please feel free...

Donationware F-100D Super Sabre paintkit available?
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Quote Originally Posted by zsoltquack View Post
    Donationware F-100D Super Sabre paintkit available?
    It's uploaded here...search falcon409.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    It's uploaded here...search falcon409.
    you have an exact link?
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

The flaps can not be adjusted!
    This bug or natural?

Quote Originally Posted by zsoltquack View Post
    The flaps can not be adjusted!
    This bug or natural?
    The Donationware model is really a F-100C which did not have flaps, only leading edge slats. These slats are automatically deployed below 230 KIAS. I know it is historically incorrect to use this model as a F-100D which did have trailing edge flaps... Hard to believe there still isn't a decent F-100D model available yet.