Kodiak; CTD's and Crashes; Reason found

Thread: Kodiak; CTD's and Crashes; Reason found

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!

Kodiak; CTD's and Crashes; Reason found

Hey all,

A number of people (large number) purchased the Kodiak on sale for use with the new Orbix scenery that was just launched. However, many people had crashes occurring. The crashes occurred when they went to exterior view in the Kodiak.

The cause has now been singled out. Its BGL files produced by a person not affiliated with the pro Orbix team. He creates inter-working BGL files that allow for popup markers and scenery locator tags and GPS tag objects so that you can more easily locate Obix scenery 'in flight' without going to maps, etc.

This causes crashes in select aircraft, such as the Kodiak. Unfortunately some people already got refunded for this, as they figured the Kodiak wasnt able to run on their system.

Its unfortunate that things like this happen. So many addons, so many OS systems, so many setups, high rez monitors, multi-monitors, ultra wide monitors, diff graphics cards, low memory sticks, too high of scenery display settings, missing DLL files, overwritten stock FSX files........... (shall I go on? I can).

If you purchase a payware 'thing' and it crashes, just be patient until the culprit is found out. You might have liked the addon.

As a fellow sim freak, this is for 'all' addons, not just mine. Just some helpful advice.

:ernae:

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Sky~6
    I concur....this has eliminated my errors....
    Speciafically, its the 'addon' GPS files for OZx airports that shows them in the GPS..(It has nothing to do with FTX PNW)
    Seem's to throw errors in some planes GPS systems...

Great plane Bill..I luv it and still fly it...

I love the Kodiak
    and yes to the CTD's and crashing
    Bill are you preparing a fix or is Orbix

I can not get her to fly with Orbix turned off either just for your information

Thanks you Bill

I just purchased this and downloaded it a few minutes ago, then I saw this thread. I don't have the ORBYX scenery and haven't installed the Kodiak yet, but are there any other noted conflicts to be on the lookout for?
    "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"

Could someone who's read the discussion being referred to here provide a link?
    David Wilson-Okamura

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
    Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
    A lonely impulse of delight
    Drove to this tumult in the clouds.
    -- W. B. Yeats, "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death"

Another reason for CTD's may be cured with this .DLL file. It solved my crashes in the Citation X:

http://cid-408ca931940d5e3c.skydrive...mationCore.dll
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dswo View Post
    Hey David,

It was a topic at the Orbix forums. I heard a lot about them, but I am not a member of the forum and do not have links. Someone might post one here. They did get it sorted though.

I just purchased this and downloaded it a few minutes ago, then I saw this thread. I don't have the ORBYX scenery and haven't installed the Kodiak yet, but are there any other noted conflicts to be on the lookout for?

FLight1
    With really wide monitors, some computers are reported to have issues with the PFD screen being rendered in a squashed ratio. Also with tripple monitor systems. This is only in 2D panel mode though, in which case you can take the 2D panel view out or simply go around it in view selections.

I have no idea why the PFD screen will not resize on certain computers. Really odd. Works fine on mine.

One other bug is that people are doing cold starts with other planes, then they open the Kodiak in a cold start and expect it to start with another planes systems shut down. For some, the plane will not start. This is because the other plane had other fuel valve options and other electrical system options and switches that the Kodiak doesnt have and vice versa. Thus, you do not have controls to 'lock / un-lock' to get the plane running. So my advice to them as always is to start with a default 'running' sim bootup, and then do a 'Kodiak' cold start, shutting it down. Then save, and do a cold start from there.

Thats the only bugs we have heard of yet.... Squashed PFD screen and cold starts from other plane saves..

Bill

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by FLighT01 View Post
    .........also.. I should probably come clean and mention this as well...

its, well.. difficult for me to talk about as I had the same issue..

We have been getting emails and registered letters from doctors and wives.. it seems there are some 'addiction' concerns..

yes...

We have been working with a pysch clinic in the mountains of Switzerland, seeking a cure that will enable 'normality' in a Kodiak owners life, where he will be able to think and do other things besides flying this Bush plane. We have had a 25% success rate with the present experimental regimen of drugs and rest. We hope to have this cured in a couple of years.

We are staying positive....

Bill

Sky~6
    Quote Originally Posted by dswo View Post
    Here's where it started...read thru the thread..we seem to have it sorted!
    I have'nt had ANY problems since this fix!

Here's the thread: (FTX website-you made need to register to view)
    http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=19468.0

Lionheart thank you for starting this thread. and keeping us updated

Sky-6 thanks for the link to the fix

Worked like a charm

Now I can cancel that Doctors appointment :isadizzy:

harleyman
    Bill...Thanks for your time and concern with this..

I concer..if ya have a new addon and it does silly stuff at times..HANG TIGHT...A fix will come..

And yes Bill...Please go on with your list...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    .........also.. I should probably come clean and mention this as well...

its, well.. difficult for me to talk about as I had the same issue..

We have been getting emails and registered letters from doctors and wives.. it seems there are some 'addiction' concerns..

yes...

We have been working with a pysch clinic in the mountains of Switzerland, seeking a cure that will enable 'normality' in a Kodiak owners life, where he will be able to think and do other things besides flying this Bush plane. We have had a 25% success rate with the present experimental regimen of drugs and rest. We hope to have this cured in a couple of years.

We are staying positive....

Bill
    LOL. My first visit since the maintenance started. Anyway just to let folks know, I purchased the Kodiak and it is absolutely stunning fun to fly. Everything works the way it should and the visual aspects are state of the art. I was so pleased I purchased the Epic LT last night, installed it and was flying it this morning, again, a top tier product. Great manuals too that don't bog you down with info overload, I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of Turbo-Props.

Now a note on Lionheart Creations customer service. Initially with the Kodiak I had problems getting the Condition lever to respond, wouldn't budge. Several E-Mails with Bill the next day and it turned out I was trying to move the imovable Emergency Power lever (which is addressed in the manual but I misinterpreted what I read) when I should have been moving the Mixture (Condition) lever. Very prompt, very courteous.

Now I'm really look forward to the Victory VLJ release, maybe this old stick, rudder and steam gauge sim flyer will finally come to grips with jet engines.
    "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doublecool View Post
    :salute:
    Looking good Carry on :salute:

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Just showing some of the FINE repaints for this Beauty