OT: Do you like trains? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: OT: Do you like trains?

Blog Entries
    I'm doing a net search to see if i can find any related problems for ya snuffy.. please give me a day or two.. Life just took off for me like someone strapped a jato to my butt and hit the ignition.. its a good thing, but real real crazy for the next couple days.. will do my best to help you out though..

Happiness Consultant
    Thanks WC! I'm gonna open a ticket to steam ...
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Well I hope you get it fixed. Are you running dx10?
    I decided to dig up my msts instead of getting rw, figuring there would be a robust freeware collection over all these years, but addons are a pain to install and usually require multiple payware addons to already be installed already. Not only that but just putting a train together is a pain.

Happiness Consultant
    I'm running XP Pro with DirectX 9.0C xxxx as per the installation download, and even after running the provided direct X on my machine, the RW start up still tells me my directX is the wrong version.

I think I know where the problem is steming from.

When I run dxdiag, the first opening general tab dialog box says the direct x version at the bottom is still version 8 something with a (5.xxxx.xxxx) number

So RW is apparently reading something somewhere that reflects that misnomer with dx.

How do I get directX to update the version number? (I've got a dozen questions posted on the MS technical support forums.)
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Happiness Consultant
    Not yet. It was late last night when I finally decided to check with the dxdiag to see what I might find. When I found it listed as 8.xxx in the dxdiag dialog, I immediately went and found the install version from RW and installed that, or I thought I did. I'll give your link a try tonight.

and I'm thinking I probably should do this in administrator/safe mode ...

Snuffy / Ted

Happiness Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by empeck View Post
    Have you tried to install latest DirectX (February 2010)?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7-5ab8109cb4f5
    Alright, well its a failure.

My dxdiag dialog box still reads 8.1 even after this install. I even went to safe mode and system administrator to install it ... no joy.

I'm at a loss here, I have no idea what's going on. So far, none of my questions in any of the microsoft help forums have been answered either.

Snuffy / Ted

Happiness Consultant
    YAY!!! Got RW to work finally.

My OS was reading my DirectX as 8.1 ... once I got it so it read DirectX as 9.0c .... Steam updated a couple of things in RW and I was on my way.

Spent a couple hours in the test trak route ... LOL! I managed to do a split. Apparenlty didn't back off the switch far enough and ended up with a pair of trucks on two different tracks and my loco riding between the two sets of rails!

I'm bad!

Snuffy / Ted

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    still working on a forum
    an stlill playng
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

gajit
    Hi Henry

Happiness Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Thanks H'

Now if we can get this thread moved there ...

Snuffy / Ted

Charter Member 09
    I guess I was too late for the sale on Railworks. They're back to $49 bucks.
    I grew up loving steam trains. Nothing like a 6500 HP 4884 Big Boy to get your attention. When it came roaring down off the mountain pulling a three and a half mile freight train, at Gloversville. It would scoop up the water between the tracks to slow her down. A magnificent, fierce, explosion between steam and water.
    Ah, them was the days!
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

FYI, there's a special deal at Steam on Railworks bundled with BNSF Dash 9 which looks as if it runs until 2nd September. Price shown in the UK is £ 23.49 -
    http://store.steampowered.com/

Ro
    :ernae:

While the FlightSim shop has a special offer of "RailWorks Ultimate Train Simulator with Bonus Challenger" for only $ 24.98 this weekend -
    http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_i...oducts_id=2425

Ro

Members who have read this thread: 0