Something good is on it's way from SkyUnlimited

Thread: Something good is on it's way from SkyUnlimited

Something good is on it's way from SkyUnlimited

Hi all,

I just got the green light from Jesse to start putting the word out on a couple of projects that are going to be happening in the very near future.

First - there is going to be an upgrade to the FS9 Texan - Harvard package. All six aircraft will be getting new custom xml gauges to replace the current ones being used. Plus there are going to be two new aircraft added to the collection. One will be a post-war version of the Harvard MkII. Our beta tester, Tien MacDonald, found a photograph of the very plane that was in my Dad's scrapbook as it appeared after the war. It had been converted into a rocket trainer and was stationed out in Manitoba. The second aircraft will be an SNJ with a tailhook. I'm also thinking of trying to convert the FSX USS Monterey into an FS9 scenery object so folks will have something to practice their landings on. For those who have already purchased the FS9 Texan/Harvard package - this will be a free upgrade. For those who want to purchase the package - the cost will remain the same as it is now.

Second - we're going to have a texture painting contest for the Texans and Harvards - both FSX and FS9. For those who don't have a copy of the models - we will be offering free downloads of both FSX and FS9 versions of the planes. These special versions have their guts stripped out but enough left to show how any new texture will look. A special set of new bump and specular maps are being made to allow FSX textures up to 2048 x 2048. You should be able to read any stencils applied with a texture that size. Jesse is still working out the rules and procedures and the prizes. Last I heard the first prize will be $50.00 USD. Too bad I'm not allowed to enter

So it's time to put the snow shovels away and get out those digital paint brushes and start looking up references.

Cool. Since I don't currently own a Texan/Harvard pack, this will probably be the one I will get.

That's awesome news!
    I've been very happy with this package, this could make it perfect.
    I have 2 small questions: will that include new bitmaps for the 2d/vc to better integrate the gauges' edges?
    Is there any possibility of a new, higher-res mapping for the wings?

In any case, thanks for a great plane!

I wasn't planning on it, but I can go back in and double check the panel artwork and make sure everything fits as well as it can. I don't think it would be best to change the mapping on the wings at this time, especially with a texture painting contest coming up. But I imagine that since we're adding 2 new planes, it wouldn't be too much extra work to add a third and call it super paint. But which of the 6 original variants would get the super treatment? Maybe we should have a poll and go from there?

Are you going to change the ASI on the navy birds to read knots instead of MPH?

Now that you've made me aware of it, I will have to - at least on the tailhook SNJ

Splendid! I was hoping for a tailhook SNJ for FS2009; can't wait to see how it'll be on my new, soon to be arriving Dell XPS 9000

N.

PS. Don't know if I'll enter the re-paint contest for the Six as my only repaints so far are on J. E. Narcizo's Cessna C-150 Aerobat taildragger and his PA-18 Super Cub, but I sure would appreciate some instruction/tutelage/advice on how to do an SNJ repaint for myself. Owning an SNJ in real life has long been a dream of mine and I've come up with a nifty ersatz RCN scheme for one

Quote Originally Posted by X_eidos2 View Post
    Second - we're going to have a texture painting contest for the Texans and Harvards - both FSX and FS9. s.
    I would like to participate

HenryW

I was hoping you'd be interested.

I lost count of how many textures you did for the AlphaSim Texan/Harvard.

Currently the textures for the FS9 version are 1024 x 1024 in size. Compared to the AlphaSim product - the SkyUnlimited textures are a little bit smaller. If there's enough interest and I have the time, I'll try and get a super paint model ready for the competition where the fuselage and wings and tail surfaces are re-mapped to allow for greater detail.

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    When is this update going to be released?

SOH-CM-2019
    Excellent news guys.
    I love this airplane.
    Looking forward to the new upgrades and seeing what wonderful work the talented texture artist's here at SOH come up with for the painting competition.

... For those who have already purchased the FS9 Texan/Harvard package - this will be a free upgrade.
    Now that's pretty cool. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Markus.
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: War nerves? Who said war nerves?
    The Patron: I heard it on that radio there.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: Radio's wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No dates on the release of the upgrade - but the work has begun on getting everything together. The XML gauge updates have been done. The post-war Harvard MkII has been modeled and I'm working on matching the texture to the scheme in the photo that Tien found. I'm debating on whether or not to add the super giant rocket rails. I haven't started on the SNJ-4C yet, but it shouldn't take long as I'll be able to take parts from the FSX version. I just have to remember how to work in FS9 again.

video of post-war version of Harvard MkII

I'd be very interested in this, having a lot of flying experience in Harvards. My first ride was in a machine just like this, but a little further up the production line - RCAF 3064 - one of the first IIBs to see service with the RCAF. Len Morgan of Flying Magazine, flew her on the day he got his wings and the same aeroplane was shown in his book on the type. She later went onto service with the RCN and then the Italian Air Force, after which was rebuilt in the UK and is now registered G-CTKL. She now wears a scheme I researched as a Boscombe Down based trials aircraft.

This had the same modifications postwar, but was re-designated a 2A as it was a radio trainer. This isnt to be confused with the NAA built Harvard IIA's which were completely different in both looks and fittings.

Best wishes,

Martin

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    Nice video!

More news about update of FS9 Texan Harvard package

Well converting an FSX model to work in FS9 required a bit more re-working than I originally expected. Here are some screenshots of the USS Monterey after being converted into some static scenery off the coast of Pensacola.
    Files for easy placement with Abacus EZ scenery will be included in the updated package.

Attachment 3452Attachment 3453Attachment 3454

Coming next will be the SNJ with tail hook.

Members who have read this thread: 1