New Nvidia Drivers

Thread: New Nvidia Drivers

Blog Entries

New Nvidia Drivers

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but Nvidia has released some new drivers, 196.75. I have installed them and had a quick flight and they seem to be quite good.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

Regards,
    Ian.

Same as usual.

Hope they don't crash on me like the latest ones for the Quadro did.

I've had them installed for a few weeks...no problems with my set up

Blog Entries
    Naki, they have only been relesed two days.

Ian

Oh..I am sure had them ..Ill check when I get back to my FS PC..

The ones I have seem to work just fine so I think I will stick with them, thanks for the heads up anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A cautionary tale ...

I was very happy with my FSX performance (191.07 drivers) then I saw these new drivers (196.75) on offer, no mention of FSX in the Nvidia blurb (they forgot about us long ago) but some impressive claims for other games that I have never heard of, 10% to 30% increase in frame rates.

My head said "it ain't broke, don't fix it"

That little voice behind me said "but maybe it will boost FSX performance too"

Sooo..I downloaded and installed, following all the Nvidia installation rules.

Half an hour later ...FSX loaded, test flight loaded.

I used to get 20 fps over Manhattan, what will I get now ?

Result, 15fps on the ground at La Guardia 04 ...take off, turn left, 12 fps, skyscrapers in view 11 fps , overflying NYC 9 fps.

Lots of fiddling with sliders later ... turned them all down, down down ... still jerky.:redf:

No problem with mountains, weather, autogen, or air and ground traffic. Away from cities I still get 60+ fps but 3D objects on the ground just reduce the whole thing to a jerky slide show.

I'm now looking for the old 191.07 drivers.

My specs:

AMD Phenom ll x 2 550 processor
    GeForce GTX 285 graphics
    Vista 64 bit

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Naki View Post
    Oh..I am sure had them ..Ill check when I get back to my FS PC..
    ahh I have 196.21 drivers........

Retired SOH Administrator
    It is always best when installing new video drivers to use a third party driver removal after removing the current driver. You have to reboot into safe mode to do this. Their has always been bits and pieces left over that always have an effect on the new drivers. From what I read over at Guru3d I kinda wanted to hold off before installing. On some system these drivers seem to do really well, but on others it doesn't. Its almost like trial and error...Mike
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

As ever it might be worth exercising caution with these drivers:
    http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/0...ames?art_pos=1

Best
    Dan.
    Forever lurking.

Thumbs up

You can´t be serious !!! This is ridiculous!
    How can Nvidia release a bad driver .... ?!?!?! Wow .... have to uninstall it now. :isadizzy:

Look at that: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...&#entry1013132
    It looks like all nvidias cards are melting down with this "new driver"

Now i´m even afraid in turn on my machine... I think i´ll turn on on security mode and unistall this crap.
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

MCDesigns
    I am of that mentality if it ain't broke don't fix it either. This is how I see it, games don't usually last long on the average gamers PC and as such when tweaking drivers after a fair amount of time, the drivers are tweaked for newer titles and many times these tweaks can and do screw up what worked for older games even though they work beautifully for newer games. FS is one of those rare titles that gets used well beyond the life expectancy of the norm.

I say if you have something that works, stick with it.

When you find a driver that works well, just stick with it. I think this is especially true of older hardware. I know that current Nvidia drivers support every card all the way back to the 6000 series, but that doesn't mean that the newest driver will run that old card very well. The newest drivers generally run the newest card best, older cards may or may not see an improvement and may actually end up with problems. I've learned this the hard way.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmay View Post
    I'm now looking for the old 191.07 drivers.
    Straight from NVidia's archived drivers:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...1.07_whql.html

Quote Originally Posted by flaviossa View Post
    You can´t be serious !!! This is ridiculous!
    How can Nvidia release a bad driver .... ?!?!?! Wow .... have to uninstall it now. :isadizzy:
    It's the second in a row. The predecessor, 196.21 had issues with overclocking.

Gonna hunt for a new driver myself. Maybe back to the ones for Quadros...?

Retired SOH Administrator
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by hey_moe View Post

Thanks folks for the heads-up on these! I'll be staying with what I have for the time being.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

dennison
    It seems the 196.75 Nvidia drivers have been removed. So there must be problems with them perhaps??

http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/...ST;f=1;t=17682

Received this today

196.75 GeForce Alert!
    We are aware that some customers have reported fan speed issues with the latest 196.75 WHQL drivers on NVIDIA.co.uk. Until we can verify the root cause for this issue, we recommend that customers stay with, or return to 196.21 WHQL drivers. The 196.75 drivers have been temporarily removed from our website.

South Chesterfield Virginia, United States
    Blog Entries
    I got screwed up by an automatic update that put that driver in... Couldn't roll it back because it also thoughtfully removed my good one. I'm struggling with trying to put the right driver back in, and I'm getting a black screen and a "display driver nvlddmkm has stopped working and has recovered..." every few minutes. It doesn't effect flight sim, though, and I'm puzzled.. I'm going way back to 195.62 (I'm on a HP Laptop...) to see if I can fix it. Needless to say, I am pissed off. Never had a minute's problem til now, even with all the sliders in FSX maxed out....

South Chesterfield Virginia, United States
    Blog Entries
    195.62 installed and running... All is well again in QS's little world. Thanks for the HU on this issue, though, because I really can't afford to fry my vid card right now....

Uninstalled just in case

I had installed the latest drivers without any seeming consequence and to me the seemed slightly better in some games. However I had no real reason to monitor GPU temps until this thread.
    I have uninstalled and reverted back to the privous drivers..waiting for an update from Nvidia

SOH-CM-2024
    I rolled back to the 196.21 drivers as a precaution. I was having no problems with the 196.75 drivers as far as display, but I did notice a rise in the HDD and SYS temps, from a normal or 32 degrees C to 36 degrees. Once rolled back, hey, back at 32 degrees. Something was amiss.

Caz