Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the most immersive Airplane in FSX

6297J
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    oh you mean a Mossie
    LOL
    H
    Whatever works for you, yes :d

I'm about to immerse myself in a very hot bath. It's going to be just like sitting in a bathtub.
    Or is it? :mixedsmi:

For me its the Lotus L-39, Sibwings Bird dog & Ant's Tiger Moth....although I dont have any A2A aircraft yet...

The Classics Hangar Fw-190 early and late models, the A2A Jug and the Aerosoft Hughes H-1B.
    Barry

oh you mean a Mossie
    LOL
    H
    LOL

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    Foregoing the systems and just sticking with what makes you feel like you are really there it would have to be any of A2A's products, especially the Accu-sim Cub for me. That definately upped the bar. I still like making the P-47 creak and squeek putting it through high-G manuevers though.
    Steve
    FSX Hours: 3000+

FSX has become only a little more than a Cub Simulator for me since I bought the A2A / Accusim Cub in October. It really is a remarkable achievement. No other addon or stock plane gives me such an overwhelming sense of being in the cockpit as does that little yellow wonder.

Most recently Ant's Tiger Moth, but also the Nord 3202 is highly immersive and a regular flying machine for me. Add to that the Sibwings Bird Dog, Aerosoft Catalina which is phenominal and for something fast then the Iris F-16. In rotorcraft nothing touches the Dodosim 206, just because it flies right and then also definitely the Aerosoft Discus Glider which is a real joy ridge soaring, with the Blanik L-13 a close second.

Would have to include my A2A Cub and Aerosoft Catalina, but overall it would be the L-39 Albatross - an amazing aircraft that is an absolute hoot to fly!
    Very worthy mention - DG's Auster Autocrat and I have to add Ant's Tiger Moth - it's putting it's hand up for many, many flights now! :salute:
    "What do you hear?" "Nothing but the rain!" "Then grab your gun and bring the cat in!" "Boom, boom, boom!"

We've just "raised the bar". So, I'm immersing myself in a beer.

im realy not sure what you mean by immersive
    do you mean one that you have to watch every second incase it gets overheated etc
    or one you fly all the time and you are still learning your way around it?
    H
    Good point. To me immersive means that it grabs your attention and holds it because it feels real.

FSX is immersive to me and X-Plane is not. The AI planes, Airport vehicles, ATC, instruments that work... makes me continue to fly it even though X-Plane's aerodynamic simulation and Weather is more realistic too me. FSX just puts me in a more realistic world and occupies me with interacting with that world like a real pilot would.

In the same way different air planes in FSX put you there by sound, visual, flight dynamics, flight system recreation, special visual effects, special sound effects......

When I hear rain hitting the roof of my plane in FSX while I am sitting there cold and dark in the cockpit and the windows start to fog up and the engines don't want to start or stay running very easily...... well that puts me there for that moment ( immersive ).

When I am on approach with a cross wind slowing to stall speed and the aircraft is flying very rigid like it is on rails and I don't feel like I am fighting to keep something with a 80' wingspan balanced and controlled and the rudder just throws the plane back and forth in a mechanical style....... yawn, maybe I should grab a beer put on a baywatch rerun.

It is feeling the " bump " when the plane touches down because of the sound of tires squeeling, thunk of suspension, and a visual bump with the view on the screen or feeling the strain of the plane slowing because of the changes in sound from air rush, reverse thrusters, tire/break squeel, pavement noise and vibration with the view on the screen. Engines sputtering as the carb ices, people screaming when I bank 90 degrees, aileron flying off as I exceed maximum speed......

Yeah, there is still room for improvement. Still trying to figure out which plane to buy next that will capture my attention.

Ken Stallings
    I cannot boil it down to a single aircraft. The best I can answer is to tout the characteristics of a truly immersive aircraft:

1. Flight model as accurate as can be achieved in FSX

2. The VC cockpit has all the gauges and switches function realistically.

3. The instrument, especially the engine instruments, function realistically.

4. The interior is modeled accurately.

5. The exterior is modeled accurately with appropriate openings working.

The result of all this is when the fly the aircraft it replicates the experience. Small things mean the world because big things are obvious enough for all people to see. But, when I do a magneto check, does the RPM drop by 50 to 100 RPM's? When I do a governor check on the prop hub, does the RPM reduce when I engage the governor and then with the RPM set, does the RPM quickly recover from an increase in manifold pressure?

When I pull my prop condition lever on my CH Pro Throttle, does the prop go into feather, or do I have to do something else to get it to feather -- something which at that point becomes very unrealistic?

When I set an known MAP and RPM, trim for a known descent rate, does the aircraft's speed settle down to the normal approach speed at that setting -- the one I'm expecting?

I could add a lot more, but I think I've helped make the point. The devil is in the details and to achieve those details you really need pilot who have flown the actual aircraft to test the virtual version and provide the detailed feedback to achieve the desired immersion.

Now, aircraft I have gotten that more or less reach this level are:

RealAir Spitfire
    RealAir Duke
    Flight 1 Skyhawk (especially when Real Old Salt was kind enough to render my actual cockpit and livery and a certain kind gentleman custom tailored the airfile!)
    Carenado Seneca II

This is the best way I can answer the question.

Cheers,

Ken

I liked the default Goose enough to fly it around the world once. These days it's the FS-Cast/Sky Unlimited B-17 for immersion.

Blog Entries
    I dont get immersed very easily, and it takes a lot more than just a plane to do it.. Everything has to work together ya know??.. But given the ideals exist, then i have a few i like over others...

For the pacific northwest,...
    Lionheart Quest kodiak for down and dirty bushing around
    Lionheart Epic LT for sight seeing in comfort and enjoying the incredible terrain

For PNG and the Solomons...
    OzX grumman goose.
    Aerosoft Catalina

China, Tibet, Thailand...
    A2A or Iris P-40
    Dave Garwoods Dragon Rapide ( yup i'm a little strange )

British columbia...
    Iris C-27

Afrika
    Ants tigermoth

Alaska...
    Nothing yet cuz i still want that piper cub but with BIG tires..

Pam

I'm with Pam with the fact that "immersion" is difficult to come by, and usually requires both good scenery, a good plane, and a plan. Just punching random holes in the sky doesn't do it for me, but making a flight plan to go from some real place to another helps a lot. I like the Aerosoft PBY and the new Cessna Bird Dog, for the same reason - fantastic VCs.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

All the planes mentioned above are quite immersive. I think the plane that 'grabbed' me the most was back in FS2004 with RealAir's Scout package. The way it handled, the gauges were fluid and 3D, it had the headbuffet thing going(before it was standard in FSX), little things like mixture and trim seemed to be as real as possible for FS. It was one of the first ofr me that really made me 'feel' like I was in a plane. In FSX I enjoy many of the above mentioned planes, including the FSX Scout, still a favorite.

Cheers
    TJ
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    a man after my own heart
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

I guess I am easily immersed. It's the aircraft I am flying at the moment (and that starts with the default Cessna 172)
    If for some reason, I don't get immersed, I never fly that aircraft again.
    Tom Constantine
    -------------------
    TOH Forums
    http://mainescenery.proboards.com/

I like this thread, and the immersive idea,
    but not all my favorite aircraft are immersive.

agreed Weather/scenery/sounds are important

Below list is what I consider immersive

Bush Flying -
    A2As Piper
    sibwing 305 Birddog
    Lionhearts Kodiak
    Carenado C185
    Aersoft Bushhawk
    Carenado 206

GA Singles
    Carenado Mooney
    sibwings Saab Safir 91

GA Twin
    Realair Duke

Turbo Props
    PMDG JS-41
    Digital Aviation Piper Cheyenne
    Flight ones Pilatus PC-12

Private Jets
    Flight ones Mustang Jet

Tubliners
    A2A Boeing 377
    CS 727
    Wilcos E-jet

Modern Military
    Aerosoft F-16
    CS C-130
    CS F-18
    Skysim Dessault Mirage III
    LotuSim L-39
    Alphasim T-34C

WWII
    A2A P-47
    Realair Spitfire
    Classic Hangers FW190 Series
    Aerosoft Consolidated PBY

Misc.
    Aerosoft Huges H1B

Helos
    dodosim 206
    cera simaircraft Bell 212 and 412

Default aircraft and Freeware imersive will be a separate List :salute:

Most immersive... ugh. No way I can pick one. I'll choose four from different categories of aircraft, in no particular order.

A2A Cub w/Accusim

A2A P-47 w/Accusim

PMDG MD-11X

Lotus L-39

Honorable Mentions:

Flight1 Citation Mustang
    Classics Hangar FW-190's
    PMDG J41
    Eaglesoft Citation X 2.0 (post-VC upgrade patch)
    VRS F-18 (coming soon)

Realair Spitfire
    Ants tigermoth
    The Classics Hangar Fw-190
    Lotus L-39
    Douglas DC2 :d

Cheers, Rob
    Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.
    No DC3 without the DC2

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    I have to say that after a few beers Fsx really does become a lot more immersive lol, theres nothing better than drunken flying and thinking especially after a carrier landing in a damanding jet the next morning " How the hell did I do that drunk but can't do it now while sober!" Beats me LOL :salute:

Quote Originally Posted by 6297J View Post
    For me the most immersive - the nearest to giving a sense of actually being there is the A2A Cub. The difference in sound when you crack open a window or open a door, the direct effect that has on the temperature in the cabin, the way you are punished if you push the aircraft beyond it's capabilities, the very real sense of lift and air resistance when floating in on full rudder - it's truly breathtaking and no other add-on comes close for me. That's the one add-on I would keep if I had to choose.
    And pop Heidi into the front seat in mid flight and watch the nose drop from the additional weight she adds with the Accusim activated.

This is the one plane I would recommend to anyone starting to get into flight simulation. Just this and FSX/Accel. Compare the stock Cub with A2A's, master the A2A as best you can, to me it provides a base set of skills and knowledge that will make flying other planes more satisfying, it just makes you a better sim-pilot, in my opinion.

After that try Ant's Tiger Moth for touring, it's free and it's fabulous.

Funny that MS pulls the plug on ACES, the 2 year new release cycle ends. Plane, scenery, and other add on manufacturers can focus longer term on the FSX program and now we're seeing planes with capabilities I couldn't have imagined 3 years ago, and a world to fly in with scenery, weather, and other aspects that is very involving.

Sort of a golden age of flight simulation.
    "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"

Quote Originally Posted by 6297J View Post
    For me the most immersive - the nearest to giving a sense of actually being there is the A2A Cub. The difference in sound when you crack open a window or open a door, the direct effect that has on the temperature in the cabin, the way you are punished if you push the aircraft beyond it's capabilities, the very real sense of lift and air resistance when floating in on full rudder - it's truly breathtaking and no other add-on comes close for me. That's the one add-on I would keep if I had to choose.
    I am 100% in agreement: the A2A Cub is the nearest (virtual flying) to the real thing !!!!
    Italo

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by doublecool View Post
    I like this thread, and the immersive idea,
    but not all my favorite aircraft are immersive.

agreed Weather/scenery/sounds are important

Below list is what I consider immersive

Bush Flying -
    A2As Piper
    sibwing 305 Birddog
    Lionhearts Kodiak
    Carenado C185
    Aersoft Bushhawk
    Carenado 206
    Flight Replica's Super Cub-Awesome!

GA Singles
    Carenado Mooney
    sibwings Saab Safir 91

GA Twin
    Realair Duke

Turbo Props
    PMDG JS-41
    Digital Aviation Piper Cheyenne
    Flight ones Pilatus PC-12

Private Jets
    Flight ones Mustang Jet

Tubliners
    A2A Boeing 377
    CS 727
    Wilcos E-jet

Modern Military
    Aerosoft F-16
    CS C-130
    CS F-18
    Skysim Dessault Mirage III
    LotuSim L-39
    Alphasim T-34C

WWII
    A2A P-47
    Realair Spitfire
    Classic Hangers FW190 Series
    Aerosoft Consolidated PBY

Misc.
    Aerosoft Huges H1B

Helos
    dodosim 206
    cera simaircraft Bell 212 and 412

Default aircraft and Freeware imersive will be a separate List :salute:
    Excellent-absolutely excellent choices for immersion some I have actually flown or flown in. Freeware seprate I'm dying to get into Dino's new aircraft! You forgot Mike's Supercub-WOW!
    Ted

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Another winner in my book is the RealAir SF-260. Quite a versatile airplane for versatile fun be it quality GA cross country flying or aerobatics. Realair's planes seemed to be smooth enough in their air files for hand flying IFR approaches off of approach plates.

Cheers
    TJ
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]