W7 and FSX

Thread: W7 and FSX

galah

W7 and FSX

Can anybody help me,

I recently installed W7. But cannot download any ADD-on aircraft. I switched off UAC but nothing happens when I download aircraft. I have Xaviers Carrier but no aircraft on deck. What am i doing wrong?

GALAH:isadizzy:

By download do you mean from the internet?, or did you save them to a file, Then with the system change over you can reinstall them to your new W7 Operating system? I feel your pain, I just went through this. I had put as many of the files ( all 32 Gb actually) into a 500Gb external harddrive then reloaded it onto the new system.

galah

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by DHR View Post
    By download do you mean from the internet?, or did you save them to a file, Then with the system change over you can reinstall them to your new W7 Operating system? I feel your pain, I just went through this. I had put as many of the files ( all 32 Gb actually) into a 500Gb external harddrive then reloaded it onto the new system.
    I bought a new computer and the shop could not download any of my files,so they say. So I started from scratch.
    I downloaded straight from the Internet and placed the files into (x86) Files. Aircraft into aircraft,boats into boat file etc etc. Aircraft carriers appear in free flight mode (using add-on windows) but no aircraft are to be found on deck. I tried other aircraft F14-F15 nothing. I also used the "grant admin full control" button each time I place the items in the appropriate files.Nothing. I turned off the UAC, tried again nothing. I have run out of ideas.

What a whinger, sorry mate.
    GALAH:isadizzy::salute:

I am having a similar problem with W7. With Vista you just clicked OK through the "add scenery button". With W7 every time you click OK it just breaks down into the next folder and nothing gets added. Could someone please explain how to properly install add-on scenery with W7?

I also used the "grant admin full control" button each time I place the items in the appropriate files.Nothing. I turned off the UAC, tried again nothing. I have run out of ideas.
    When you say 'place the items in the appropriate files' what are you doing?

Are you extracting the contents of the zip files you've downloaded to the appropriate folder in FSX or running installers? There really is no secret to adding add-ons with Win7, it's the same as Vista or XP if you kill the UAC or run an installer as Admin (right click and select run as admin).
    For scenery you have to right click in a blank space in the add scenery dialogue, there're a couple of threads about it here if you do a search.

"This" used to work for me, but now I can't add scenery either.

Anyway, I would go to the scenery I want to add and select it and you would end up looking at the scenery/texture folder, since it "opened it" instead of adding it. Then, I would click the icon to take you back up "one folder" in the tree path and it would add the scenery.

However, now, I can't get it to add any scenery, either. But you guys might try what I suggested above and see if it works for you. I have no idea why it quit working for me, other than a W7 update that disabled it when they "fixed" something. I have to say, I'm really pissed off at MS about this issue.

Let me just add, for anyone wondering, I've added hundreds, if not over a thousand scenery files in FS9, so I know how it's done. In fact, I don't have any problems adding scenery in FS9/W7. It's just FSX. It will not add the scenery. It just opens the file. Hmmm, I just thought of something.

I've been opening FSX in administrator mode, because that's the only way active camera will work. I'll have to see if I don't, if I can still add scenery.

galah

W7 add-on aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    When you say 'place the items in the appropriate files' what are you doing?

Are you extracting the contents of the zip files you've downloaded to the appropriate folder in FSX or running installers? There really is no secret to adding add-ons with Win7, it's the same as Vista or XP if you kill the UAC or run an installer as Admin (right click and select run as admin).
    For scenery you have to right click in a blank space in the add scenery dialogue, there're a couple of threads about it here if you do a search.
    Hi,
    I do extract from zip files,then open (x86 Files) I then go to airplanes and then place aircraft in aircraft folder then sound in sounds folder,Confg into Config etc. whilst in appropriate file I use "grant admin full control". I also turn off UAC. The one reason nothing happens with aircraft I think might be the Confg files. I might be misnumbering them I will try to delete all files and start again.Not quite sure how to number them correctly.:isadizzy:

Galah

Quote of the week. Never push your granny whilst she's shaving. Greek saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    "This" used to work for me, but now I can't add scenery either.

Anyway, I would go to the scenery I want to add and select it and you would end up looking at the scenery/texture folder, since it "opened it" instead of adding it. Then, I would click the icon to take you back up "one folder" in the tree path and it would add the scenery.
    Sundog, your starting off OK but when you get to the point where your looking at the scenery/texture folder just left click once anyware in the blank space below them.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    Sundog, your starting off OK but when you get to the point where your looking at the scenery/texture folder just left click once anyware in the blank space below them.
    :isadizzy: Now you tell me! I've been banging my head against the wall with this one. I must have missed the "Now click the white space" part in the manual.

Thanks!!! I don't have to re-install!!!

Thanks DB!!!:salute:

Sundog explained the problem better than I did. I did do a search first but found nothing helpful.

Hi,
    I do extract from zip files,then open (x86 Files) I then go to airplanes and then place aircraft in aircraft folder then sound in sounds folder,Confg into Config etc. whilst in appropriate file I use "grant admin full control". I also turn off UAC. The one reason nothing happens with aircraft I think might be the Confg files. I might be misnumbering them I will try to delete all files and start again.Not quite sure how to number them correctly.:isadizzy:

Galah
    I think I see your problem, you shouldn't need to renumber anything.

You should be adding the aircraft in Program Files(x86)/Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator X/SimObjects/Airplanes
    In there you should see a load of folders with the names of aircraft, add-on aircraft should go in their own folder in there, normally if you unzip to there using the 'Use Sub-folder information' option it should then recreate the right folder structure, if not just copy one of the default aircraft e.g. inside the C172 folder there'll be subfolders for Sound, Model, Textures etc. and an air file and cfg file.

Hope that helps!

Members who have read this thread: 1