Skyraider READY! - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Skyraider READY!

Bry, You are always more than welcome, as is anyone else who asks, if i can assist i will, if not I will politely decline.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVader View Post
    Breathtakingly beautifull!!!
    Yeah it is.......

Makes ya want one just to head over to Afghanistan and terrorise the Taliban. :d
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Carrier Launchable

I've tried to deck launch this bird and it will almost get airborne and the pointy end of the carrier however;
    With FD4, I can cat launch most planes, this one (Sandy) doesn't seem like it wants to cooperate and
    cat launch. Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by AZ1USN View Post
    I've tried to deck launch this bird and it will almost get airborne and the pointy end of the carrier however;
    With FD4, I can cat launch most planes, this one (Sandy) doesn't seem like it wants to cooperate and
    I am not sure about FD4 as I do not have that program. I assume it works with Acceleration? Using AI Carriers works fine with the Cat stroke. The only issue is that the velocity is too high coming off the deck. I have no idea how to change the launch velocity on FSX Acceleration Carriers. As far as deck launches go, use full flaps (at weight) and make sure you have the carrier deck aimed into the wind with the wind set at no less than 8 knots or higher. See what happens with those settings factored in.

Try out Lamont Clark's aicarriers2.zip located at Avsim and use it with Javier's Nimitz as well as some other AI Carriers out there and see if everything works ok. I have had nearly perfect Cat launches with that setup.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

The plane now works perfectly once the update is applied. It will land and cat launch from a carrier in the aicarriers2 pack.

Thanks for the quick fix to the flipping problem
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Patch? I downloaded this latest patch and all I get is the same file as the orignal. Whats the diffierance? am I supposed to delete the original and replace? Thanks.

Oakfloor, yes, switch out the config and airfile. The flight handling changes are subtle as well as the AI Carrier interface improvements. Once you change the files, give it a try and let me know what you get.

What type of controller are you using?
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Nice to see various people working to spiff up one of my planes. Glad it seems to help others.
    Now I don't have to do as much!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Piglet Conrad
    Piglet's Peculiar Planes
    "Ahhh... the freedom of freeware!"
    First Rule of Aviation:
    Don't piss off your mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    Oakfloor, yes, switch out the config and airfile. The flight handling changes are subtle as well as the AI Carrier interface improvements. Once you change the files, give it a try and let me know what you get.

What type of controller are you using?
    <INPUT id=gwProxy value="trashmaster hotas stick and throttle with a saitek rudder and whats a airfile?" type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>

Whats going on with this, I reply with quote and get no reply

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    Nice to see various people working to spiff up one of my planes. Glad it seems to help others.
    Now I don't have to do as much!
    You have gone above and beyond the call of duty..someday you will be famous.

Thanks for the help storm, Im using a trashmaster hotas stick and throttle with a saitek rudder.

Quote Originally Posted by oakfloor View Post
    Thanks for the help storm, Im using a trashmaster hotas stick and throttle with a saitek rudder.
    Nice setup for sure. I have an X52. I tried to keep in mind that everyone elses setup/controllers are different and that there may be little handling differences in the FDE. As I noted before, this is more a tweak of an existing airfile than a major overhaul. If you need a little more/less pitch or roll you can adjust the Elevator and Aileron effectiveness in the Flight Tuning section of the config file to suite needs/tastes. The real plane is pretty darn maneuverable and stable in solid geometry aerobatic flight dynamics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX36D...eature=related

Cat Shot Launches

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    It appears that the FSX arrestor utility was configured for nose draggers as it incorporates a significant forward pitching moment. Most WWII era planes that I have worked with will do OK if landed slowly enough as the pitching moment seems to be proportional to the square of the reletave arresting velocity. It may be a modification to the cable force parameter will take care of the issue.

Cheers: T
    With all the "fixes" that I see here and there for this addon, I was hoping one of them would
    enable the Skyraider to do a cat shot off the Nimitz in Flight Deck 4. As far as catching the
    wire(s) for a arrested landing; it doesn't seem like it's up to that task either. I guess till that
    can happen, I have put this one in the hanger till a few more issues are resolved. Don't get me
    wrong, it's a very nice plane but it just don't do carquals (yet)......

With all the "fixes" that I see here and there for this addon, I was hoping one of them would
    enable the Skyraider to do a cat shot off the Nimitz in Flight Deck 4. As far as catching the
    wire(s) for a arrested landing; it doesn't seem like it's up to that task either. I guess till that
    can happen, I have put this one in the hanger till a few more issues are resolved. Don't get me
    wrong, it's a very nice plane but it just don't do carquals (yet)......
    I was one of the beta testers of the update. Clearly there were issues prior to the update with carrier landing behavior. Some folks here with good knowledge of what needed to be tweaked noted this and passed it along. The fix the author of the patch made was done on input and ideas from several folks and. within the given limitations of the simulator and what could be readily adjusted, the patch works. As I understand, the update was tested with aicarrers2 on the new Nimitz model, the FSX Ark Royal, and the Clemenceau. With some minor albeit normal glitches, everything worked okay. As previously mentioned, none of the Flightdeck programs were tested for this update. My guess is that there may need to be a separate modification to adapt the Skyraider for use with Flightdeck4 or similar addons.

As one of the posts above mentioned, it seems FSX Acc is set up for "nose draggers" and not tail draggers. It takes a fair amount or practice to get used to the peculiarities of landing a tail dragger on deck in FSX. Last night, myself and the author ran AI Carrier ops for 2 hours and had 98% trap rate on the above mentioned carriers. The Cat shots worked perfectly as well.
    "Soon to be Expat"

With some wind over the deck a landing without the hook is possible, but get the same deal on CV 6 with an arrested nose over. Have a couple of ideas for investigation.

Like the plane!

T

Before the fix, it looked as though the wheels were hitting a cable, after release of the hook, causing the nose over. If you catch the farthest forward wire it will land without a nose over even without the patch some of the time, as there is no wire to hit the wheels. if you hit a wire with the front wheels even slow enough to land without the hook it will nose over. Of course this is all speculation without full understanding of the dynamics of the software. As stated above, traps on any wire are possible with the new cfg and air files, followed by a spectacular 200knot launch off the cat.

The Clem and Ark ops- No problems keeping the A-1 from tipping over. Besides the needed wind parameters, the weight and speeds have to be within a precise window. If you are too slow, you will stall and/or bounce and crash or skip the wires. Too fast and the plane will come in at the wrong angle(too level) and tip forward upon arrestment. The guys over at Flying Stations got it right by saying you have to come in just above stall speed and with a slight nose high attitude. Practice should iron out things as well as highlight the quirks/glitches that can be avoided(most of the time!)

It's all because you're all flying USAF planes off carriers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Piglet Conrad
    Piglet's Peculiar Planes
    "Ahhh... the freedom of freeware!"
    First Rule of Aviation:
    Don't piss off your mechanic.

Is that a quirk at the inter-branches love or a hint of the A-1H being more carrier capable?
    P3D v4.5, DCS, AF2
    W10 64bit Pro
    Core i7 6770K @ 4,3 GHz
    32 GB DDR4 2666
    RTX 2080 Super 8 GB
    Oculus Rift S
    Cable 1000 Mbit/s

Question Please can you tell me the speed where I can use my flaps ??

Hello :salute:

In first a great thank's for this addon, awesome and wonderful addon :ernae:

I've a little question for Tim Piglet, I would like knowing if you can confirm the speed where I can use my flaps.
    After many tests (Air-brake open) I can only use my flaps under 110 kts please can you tell me if it's correct ?

110 Kts = Flaps to Approach.

100 Kts = Flaps to Landing.

Is it a bug or it's normal ?

At 120 or 130 Kts I can't use my flap but my speed break are open.

A great thank's in advance for your help, best regards.

Skulleader

Charter Member 2015
    Found this pic showing the RL figures...........
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Haven'tflown the modded one yet, but the original seemed as if it might be flying a little slow. Of course with the single engine B-17.... weight would be an issue. I could comfortably fly this one on approach at 72 knots, which seemed about 15 knots too slow.

The guy that checked me out as Captain in the 747-200 lo many years ago was an Able Dog Driver (USMC), wish i could ge ahold of him!

Cheers: T

Members who have read this thread: 5