Skyraider READY! - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Skyraider READY!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Sphinx_58 View Post
    The answer can be found in a different thread.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...kyraider-Plans...
    Thanks....I missed it...as usual........:isadizzy:

I like the plane, but currently have no instruments, the panel cfg. shows a set of dedicated instruments for this plane so guess I will have to go on a search and destroy mission to find them.

Ideally I would like a wider cockpit view, a common complaint I have in FSX. Another issue is landing on the Nimitz, no matter how appropriate an approach/over the deck speed I land at, catching a wire the plane will stand on it's nose and register a crash.

Cheers: T

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    I like the plane, but currently have no instruments, the panel cfg. shows a set of dedicated instruments for this plane so guess I will have to go on a search and destroy mission to find them.

Ideally I would like a wider cockpit view, a common complaint I have in FSX. Another issue is landing on the Nimitz, no matter how appropriate an approach/over the deck speed I land at, catching a wire the plane will stand on it's nose and register a crash.

There's a cab file for the gauges in the aircraft's folder. They need to be placed in the main gauges folder or in the aircraft's panel folder.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post

Tom
    i do not see
    tail hook configured for carrier ops
    cable_force_adjust=1.5
    or
    [launch_assistance]
    launch_bar_pivot = 5.41,0.00,-2.0
    launch_bar_lug = 11.583333,0.00,-7.50
    they are not the correct figures
    i just copied and pasted them from another ac
    but i believe for carrier ops they need to be configured for fsx
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Charter Member 2015
    Thanks Piglet! Outstanding!

David :mixedsmi:

Yeah still loving this!

Thanks Piglet for another beautiful aircraft. Always look forward to your new releases.

Adam

Tom
    i do not see
    cable_force_adjust=1.5
    or
    [launch_assistance]
    H

It may be coded in the mdl file itself if they're not in the cfg. If they are entries in the cfg will overwrite them, although it's worth bearing in mind the correct technique for landing a taildragger on a carrier is to be about 5 kts above the stall in a nose high attitude when you catch the wire, otherwise the nose gets too low. There're a lot of pictures of WW2 carrier planes getting it wrong and nosing forwards. Especially Seafires....

Thank you for that great plane. :salute:

Tim: Thanks for such a beautiful model, I can find only one inaccuracy. The rust in the cockpit would NEVER had been present in a USN aircraft. I strongly suspect that it would not have been there in a USAF SPAD either. Anyone seeing the first sign of rust like this would have downed the aircraft to remove the panel and do a complete inspection to see the extent of the structural problem. The plane captain assigned to this aircraft would have never permitted it to get this decrepid in the first place - after all, it was HIS aircraft. Please give us a VC without the rust - it really is inaccurate. Bill

On Another Planet
    Tim, I just want to let you know that to me, this is your best plane yet. The VC is amazing. You get better and better with every plane.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click my sig for my Flickr

It's not supposed to be "rust". It was just me playing with some shading, and looking at my Tamiya model boxes.
    Suppose one can easily say it's the red dirt of Viet Nam, or one can easily edit the textures.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Piglet Conrad
    Piglet's Peculiar Planes
    "Ahhh... the freedom of freeware!"
    First Rule of Aviation:
    Don't piss off your mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    Tim: Thanks for such a beautiful model, I can find only one inaccuracy. The rust in the cockpit would NEVER had been present in a USN aircraft. I strongly suspect that it would not have been there in a USAF SPAD either. Anyone seeing the first sign of rust like this would have downed the aircraft to remove the panel and do a complete inspection to see the extent of the structural problem. The plane captain assigned to this aircraft would have never permitted it to get this decrepid in the first place - after all, it was HIS aircraft. Please give us a VC without the rust - it really is inaccurate. Bill
    On the other hand, scratched or worn paint on panels, handholds, and floorboards showing the primer or even bare aluminum would be entirely normal. Aside from the Dzus fasteners, how much steel is present in an A-1's cockpit?

GunnyG (the former C-130/EA-6A & B/CH-46, -53/OV-10/AH- & UH-1 avionics tech)

I totally agree Gunny, scratched or worn paint would be quite appropriate. Bill

Great shots guys, and what a stunning looking model. Well done Piglet. :salute:

Piglet, I have to say, quite honestly, this is one of the best planes I've taken up in the past 6 months. Wow.

thanks much.

kc

Quote Originally Posted by krazycolin View Post
    Piglet, I have to say, quite honestly, this is one of the best planes I've taken up in the past 6 months. Wow.

thanks much.

kc
    I agree! Took a few minutes off from working on the Buff VC yesterday to play with the Skyraider. Shifting the viewpoint around in the VC to where you're looking in the cockpit from the outside just looks like you're standing on the wing of the real thing :ernae:

Thank you Piglet!

Darrell

iM ANOTHER WHO LOVES FLYING THIS BEAUTY-SO STABLE & EASY TO FLY.
    HERE IN THE uk pc pILOT MAGAZINE HAS A STAR DOWNLOAD ON THEIR COVER cd EACH MONTH,AND iM SURE THAT pIGLET'S PLANES HAVE BEEN IN THIS POSITION MORE THAN ANY OTHER,AND i AM CERTAIN THAT THIS WILL MAKE IT TOO.

(arrgh,damn caps lock!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Tom
    i do not see
    cable_force_adjust=1.5
    or
    [launch_assistance]
    H
    Where do you paste these changes? I'm guessing the ACFT.CFG file
    however, as to the "tail hook configured" entry, any special area in the acft.cfg
    file for that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Tom
    i do not see
    cable_force_adjust=1.5
    or
    [launch_assistance]
    H
    The tailhook definition section is at the very end of the aircraft.cfg file, Henry.

[tailhook]
    tailhook_length= 8.000
    tailhook_position= -20.400, 0.000, -1.600

As for the rest, the A-1 doesn't have a launch bar. Just rev up that R-3350 and
    fly it off the deck!

Paul

USS Dewey DLG-14, ET"C" School Treasure Island-Instructor, OASU/VX-8 Aircrewman

There's a new unofficial FDE update out for the Skyraider. This is at Avsim and later at Flightsim.com.

<table align="center" bgcolor="#aaccee" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" align="left">Category: Flight Simulator X - Aircraft Repaints, Textures and Modifications </td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left" width="*"> New! Douglas A-1J Skyraider FDE Update </td> <td align="right" nowrap="nowrap"> <!-- --> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> File Description:
    This is an FDE update for Tim Conrad's new A-1J Skyraider model for FSX. The primary changes are in the airfile for smoother flight handling characteristics, and also modifications/additions to the config file including the contact points(main gear/ground stance), toe brake force, tailhook, launch assistance. The aim of this update besides refining flight handling was to tweak the model to be able to facilitate it's use with moving AI Aircraft Carrier programs for upcoming Naval repaints for this model. Special thanks to Michael Davies for his help on the contact points.

<table align="center" bgcolor="#aaccee" border="0" width="50%"><tbody><tr> <td width="25%">Filename:</td> <td width="75%">a-1jupt.zip</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">License:</td> <td width="75%">Freeware</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Added:</td> <td width="75%">9th March 2010</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Downloads:</td> <td width="75%">93</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Author:</td> <td width="75%">Bry Hardee</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="25%">Size:</td> <td width="75%">13kb</td></tr></tbody></table>
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    thanks
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

It appears that the FSX arrestor utility was configured for nose draggers as it incorporates a significant forward pitching moment. Most WWII era planes that I have worked with will do OK if landed slowly enough as the pitching moment seems to be proportional to the square of the reletave arresting velocity. It may be a modification to the cable force parameter will take care of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    There's a new unofficial FDE update out for the Skyraider. This is at Avsim and later at Flightsim.com.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="100%" bgColor=#aaccee align=center><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2 align=left>Category: Flight Simulator X - Aircraft Repaints, Textures and Modifications </TD></TR><TR><TD width=* align=left>New! Douglas A-1J Skyraider FDE Update </TD><TD noWrap align=right><!-- --> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>File Description:
    This is an FDE update for Tim Conrad's new A-1J Skyraider model for FSX. The primary changes are in the airfile for smoother flight handling characteristics, and also modifications/additions to the config file including the contact points(main gear/ground stance), toe brake force, tailhook, launch assistance. The aim of this update besides refining flight handling was to tweak the model to be able to facilitate it's use with moving AI Aircraft Carrier programs for upcoming Naval repaints for this model. Special thanks to Michael Davies for his help on the contact points.

<TABLE border=0 width="50%" bgColor=#aaccee align=center><TBODY><TR><TD width="25%">Filename:</TD><TD width="75%">a-1jupt.zip</TD></TR><TR><TD width="25%">License:</TD><TD width="75%">Freeware</TD></TR><TR><TD width="25%">Added:</TD><TD width="75%">9th March 2010</TD></TR><TR><TD width="25%">Downloads:</TD><TD width="75%">93</TD></TR><TR><TD width="25%">Author:</TD><TD width="75%">Bry Hardee</TD></TR><TR><TD width="25%">Size:</TD><TD width="75%">13kb</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden><INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>
    I'd like to point out that the gear point modifications are not a reflection on Piglets work, I personally had no problems with bouncing, but over the last nine years have seen this effect appear at random to some but not all users (carriers being an espcially fickle child to tame), therefore I edited to a generic broad set of values I have that remove bouncing for those that usually have issues, they may well present issues for those that previously didn't, so back up your original cfg file first please. My values may well not match precisely the animation strokes in the model, that was not the intention, the intention was a more bullet proof set of figures suitable for a broader user base. The rest of the work was all Bry's and in reality all credit lies there, I just fiddled with a very small part .

Sincerely

Michael

Michael, thanks again! I just had to give credit for your assistance which helped get things on the right track in this tweak. I reiterate and add to what you said about the elements of these tweaked Skyraider files not being a reflection of Tim's work. The work done was more or less from personal preferences to enhance various factors of the model's flight characteristics and improve the carrier landing behavior. Some folks who are experienced with tweaking may make little adjustments here and there in the config file to suit their own wants or requirements. The adjustments work great on my end and added the icing on the cake so to speak for a truly outstanding model. I want to clarify that I am not a seasoned expert in working with FS models. I think it is proper to say I am a "dabler" who adds to and plays with things a bit to refine what is already excellent work by true model developers who are far beyond my humble and meager abilities. That's why I gave credit to Michael and many others who I have learned a lot from.

As to the airfile, it is a mirror of sorts of the older Razbam Skyraider. I always liked the way that model flew and naturally I felt I wanted to base the tweak as close to that as I could. Tim was well in the ballpark in that regard. I simply "rounded the edges" so to speak. I am still learning airfile workings. This was only the 5th airfile I've ever worked on/modified. There's a ton of data in those files and trying to work through them is a migraine inducing experience staring at a screen and number tables for hours and hours! The motivation for such things is simple. Sharing in a hobby we all are quite fond of.

:salute: Cheers to all
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Members who have read this thread: 5