Band of Brothers - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Band of Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Toastmaker View Post
    I wonder if the same style of show from this perspective would be as well received. . .
    Probably not here in the US (although I'd watch it, being a war movie fan), but I think it would do well with a German audience.

Ken Stallings
    I wonder if the same style of show from this perspective would be as well received. . .
    Not even a theoretical question. The movie is "Das Boot" and it was a very popular movie the world round and certainly in the United States.

Cheers,

Ken

Charter Member 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stallings View Post
    Not even a theoretical question. The movie is "Das Boot" and it was a very popular movie the world round and certainly in the United States.

Cheers,

Ken

No, it isn't. It was just a vehicle to allow me to post an interesting photo !

But, I remember a movie along those lines directed by Sam Peckinpaugh called "Cross of Iron". It wasn't nearly as well done as BoB but it wasn't bad either.
    "Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't"

Stalingrad

The director or the producer of "Das Boot" also made "Stalingrad" in the early 90s. It is of the same calibre and portrays a combat engeneer unit (Pionier Einheit) of the Whermacht in Stalingrad and is probably as close as we will come to a "Verband von Bruedern des deutschen Heers." I'm sure that it's long out circulations as it never achieved the popularity of "Das Boot," but a search on the web might find it.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Thanks for the heads up Jagdflieger.

Good to know.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    ... but I think it would do well with a German audience.
    No, it won't.

Obeying hard lessons of our past, we don't have any reason to idealize the Wehrmacht or its members.
    It was a means of genozide. Period.

There is no good in evil.

I know this attitude is far different from the US point of view, but please try to comprehend...

Peace!
    Markus.
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: War nerves? Who said war nerves?
    The Patron: I heard it on that radio there.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: Radio's wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    It's almost time for: HBO's The Pacific

http://www.hbo.com/the-pacific/index.html
    Ted
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I'd *so* watch it.

Should I ever have the means or money, I'd make a WW2 shooter played from the german side. Heavily scripted, but without any glorious BS like CoD or MoH. After all, you can fight how well you want, you're gonna lose anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
    No, it won't.

Obeying hard lessons of our past, we don't have any reason to idealize the Wehrmacht or its members.

I know this attitude is far different from the US point of view, but please try to comprehend...

Peace!
    Why, oh why can't we ease up on that subject in this country?
    It's disgusting. You could tell so many fascinating stories from the war, but nooo, we're still guilty and humble, even after serveral generations.

Panzerbatallion 33 gets hammered because it uses the Afrika Korps' insignia (without the swastika), JG74 loses its name because Werner Mölders was a member of the Legion Condor, etc, etc...

I don't want to take this anymore.

This country needs a *realistic* confrontation with its past. Yes, the Wehrmacht was a tool for genocide, but it consisted of millions of men who fought because they had to or wanted to save whatever was of value to them. They endured heat, cold, years of war and POW camps after that just to get kicked in the arse without the slightest acknowledgement of their ordeals.
    The genocide wasn't the idea of the common Gefreiten, but came from the highest ranks in the country.

The Waffen-SS is an entirely different topic since it was way more indoctrinated, but I refuse to see the Wehrmacht as a pure tool of terror. No way, no way at all!

Ken Stallings
    No, it won't.

Peace!
    Markus.
    I'm not going to necessarily disagree with your views becuase I can tell they are sincere and strive for positive moral value.

However, in my study of the war, I have determined many examples of Germans who did fight the war with honor even as they understand their macro cause lacked honor.

One particular example worthy of study is that of Werner Molders. His is a particularly tragic and yet compelling case of how good people can be trapped in an evil cause, but how they can retain their honor through their actions. Molders to make a long story short, was awarded the very first Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds. After he learned about the nature of the Holocaust and the arrest of the Catholic Bishop of Munster, he mailed directly to Adolph Hitler all his medal and insignia, with a letter stating bluntly he "would never again wear the symbols of such an evil regime."

He then flew without authorization -- as the Luftwaffe IG of the Fighter Arm -- to an old squadron on the Russian Front and flew combat missions. There is at least one photo of him wearing a uniform beside his Me-109 sans all insignia and medals. Shortly after, Hitler ordered a Ju-52 to fly him back to Berlin. The aircraft crashed shortly after takeoff, killing all onboard -- another case of a crash too convenient as to escape rightful suspicion it was an act of premediated murder to avoid a humiliating courts martial of a very popular Molders.

Cheers,

Ken

Happiness Consultant
    Personally, I think there's a major difference between patriotism for one's country and supporting something based on ideals of one individual of over 60 years ago.

Germany as a country should be proud of its past as not all of it is as bad as certain people are trying to make it appear. While its true there was some brutality associated with that past and its emblems, they are in fact all actual real life history. As long as a people embrace their heritage and not necessarily the ideals of the time I think it can be reconciled.

After all it wasn't Germany as a people that caused the evils of what happened, it was a single person with an ideal and the will and power to enforce his ideals, on a nation.

I think as Germans, you should have every right to be able to stand up and be proud of your past. After all, I have never seen any one national group's military so honored in every country as I do the German military, despite its supposed evil. All one has to do is take a look at any hobby, (aircraft sim, military modeling, computer games, etc. ... ) to realise that many people the world over have a facination with the German military. Look at the number of modelers here on SOH who for whaterver reasons, model German Luftwaffe aircraft left and right despite there being 6 or 7 others that have already done the same aircraft. I just don't see the same excitement spent on other nationality aircraft.
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Why, oh why can't we ease up on that subject in this country?
    It's disgusting. You could tell so many fascinating stories from the war, but nooo, we're still guilty and humble, even after serveral generations.
    Why should we "ease up" on a subject as serious as this?
    Would anything be cooler if we relaxed on this matter?
    It's not a question of guilt.
    It's about responsibility.
    The former President Richard v. Weizsäcker pointed it out clearly in his legendary speech on May 8th, 1985, the 40th anniversary of the war's end.

I don't feel guilty. I don't know what my grandfathers particulary did back then. One of them died at Stalingrad (presumably) some weeks before my father was born, so he never came to know him; the other one came home insane after being POW for 8 years. Remained a drooling wreck until he died 40 years later. If they had any guilt, they've payed for it.

What's wrong with humbleness?
    I think it's one of the best human characteristics. The world is full of show-offs and loudmouths, do we germans really need to join in?

Since 1949, we have achieved a lot of things to be proud of, both East- and West-Germans. Isn't that enough? Do we have to base our tradition by all means in the period between 1933 and 1945?

Panzerbatallion 33 gets hammered because it uses the Afrika Korps' insignia (without the swastika)...
    Why had this symbol be used? Seems to me like a more than obsolete provocation...

This country needs a *realistic* confrontation with its past.
    Can't see what's unrealistic in my considerations...

Yes, the Wehrmacht was a tool for genocide, but it consisted of millions of men who fought because they had to or wanted to save whatever was of value to them.
    Genocide can't be performed by a small bunch of villains. It wasn't the Menjou-bearded lunatic from Austria on his own. The whole system worked because thousands and millions of Germans didn't waste a single moment thinking about their personal share in making a murderous regime work. Each one is to blame. It wasn't „them up there“.

So I personally don't have any reason to acknowledge or idealize anything done by a german soldier between 1933 and 1945!

Ken:
    Thank you for respecting my point of view!

One particular example worthy of study is that of Werner Molders. His is a particularly tragic and yet compelling case of how good people can be trapped in an evil cause, but how they can retain their honor through their actions. Molders to make a long story short, was awarded the very first Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds. After he learned about the nature of the Holocaust and the arrest of the Catholic Bishop of Munster, he mailed directly to Adolph Hitler all his medal and insignia, with a letter stating bluntly he "would never again wear the symbols of such an evil regime." He then flew without authorization -- as the Luftwaffe IG of the Fighter Arm -- to an old squadron on the Russian Front and flew combat missions. There is at least one photo of him wearing a uniform beside his Me-109 sans all insignia and medals. Shortly after, Hitler ordered a Ju-52 to fly him back to Berlin. The aircraft crashed shortly after takeoff, killing all onboard -- another case of a crash too convenient as to escape rightful suspicion it was an act of premediated murder to avoid a humiliating courts martial of a very popular Molders.
    I don't know where this legend comes from, but a study of the „Militärgeschichtliches Forschungsamt der Bundeswehr“ (German Armed Forces Military History Research Office http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_...esearch_Office ), released in 2004, shows that Mölders in fact didn't ever show any signs of dissence to the system.
    http://www.mgfa.de/html/neuigkeiten_...=4367397887577
    This study concludes that Mölders always acted as a reliable follower of the NS regime. He was a role model for the performance-oriented officer. He did enjoy the media's reception of him being a „hero“ of the NS regime.

The crucial point in this study is that his military achievements can't be seperated from the historical and political background they happened in.

Like I said, there's no good in evil.

Side note:
    Mölders died on November 22nd, 1941 on his way to the funeral of Ernst Udet, when his He 111 crashed at Breslau. Two on board survived the crash. The crash happened after engine failure in a thunderstorm. I can't believe that the Fuehrer had any influences on weather conditions...

Furthermore, I've never read of any evidence to confirm his alleged rejection of medals. Sounds like one more legend to me. He was given a state funeral in Berlin on 28 November 1941.

Can't see a „good man trapped“ here.

Mölders might have felt an ambigious relationship to the fascist system, but beyond any doubt, he wasn't part of the resistance. He proudly served as an outstanding embodiment of the system. I can't see any single reason to honour him!

Cheers,
    Markus.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Why should we "ease up" on a subject as serious as this?
    Would anything be cooler if we relaxed on this matter?
    It's not a question of guilt.
    It's about responsibility.
    The former President Richard v. Weizsäcker pointed it out clearly in his legendary speech on May 8th, 1985, the 40th anniversary of the war's end.
    Yes, responsibility. Responsibility without the cramped humbleness.

I don't feel guilty. I don't know what my grandfathers particulary did back then. One of them died at Stalingrad (presumably) some weeks before my father was born, so he never came to know him; the other one came home insane after being POW for 8 years. Remained a drooling wreck until he died 40 years later. If they had any guilt, they've payed for it.
    Well, grandfather one was a firefighter and thus didn't have to do any frontline service and grandfather two narrowly escaped a potential death sentence. He was assigned to the Volkssturm and got hidden in the cellar by his mother before either the SS or Russians could kill him.

But either death or a mental wreck...dang.

What's wrong with humbleness?
    I think it's one of the best human characteristics. The world is full of show-offs and loudmouths, do we germans really need to join in?
    A bit of backbone is never wrong. Humbleness isn't the best thing if practiced constantly.

Since 1949, we have achieved a lot of things to be proud of, both East- and West-Germans. Isn't that enough? Do we have to base our tradition by all means in the period between 1933 and 1945?
    Well, militarily spoken WW2 was an astonishing feat for this country. From next to nothing to strength within six to seven years, from the home country to occupying most of the continent within three years. I call that nothing short of awesome.

So I can see the point of basing at least military traditions on that period.

Why had this symbol be used? Seems to me like a more than obsolete provocation...
    See above.

Can't see what's unrealistic in my considerations...
    Too humble, too guilt-ridden.

Genocide can't be performed by a small bunch of villains. It wasn't the Menjou-bearded lunatic from Austria on his own. The whole system worked because thousands and millions of Germans didn't waste a single moment thinking about their personal share in making a murderous regime work. Each one is to blame. It wasn't „them up there“.
    Everyone can be turned into a murdering drone if you create the right environment.
    It was a totalitarian system with a typical "with us or against us" characteristic. "Nay" sayers don't live long or at least well in that kind of system.

The east-german border guards were caught in the same struggle. No sane being would shoot unarmed cvilians despite a clear order, but if you always practically had a gun pointed at your back or the unfortunate option of a ticket to Bautzen or a miserable life for your whole family you practically had no option other than pulling the trigger.

It's the way the system worked.

So I personally don't have any reason to acknowledge or idealize anything done by a german soldier between 1933 and 1945!
    You don't have to idealize anything.

Our local filmmakers have already proven that they can tell the story realistically and in a publically acceptable manner. Der Untergang, Das Boot, Stalingrad, Stauffenberg, etc...
    So why not tell one of the simple soldier?

The crucial point in this study is that his military achievements can't be seperated from the historical and political background they happened in.
    That just screams "double standard".

Hartmann, Rall, Steinhoff, Barkhorn...all aces from the war but founding fathers of the modern Luftwaffe.

Even some of the founding fathers of the FRG weren't really "clean".

Ken Stallings
    Markus,

I have a book on my bookshelf right now with that photo of Molders in uniform sans all medals. I have no fewer than three authoritative post-war historical records that certify the letter was sent and Molders resigned his position as Fighter Arm IG and left his post without authority.

See this link:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CBoQ9QEwAw

The book "Black Cross, Red Star" is considered one of the finest written on the Eastern Front air war. The photo in this link was taken well after he was awarded his Knight's Cross with Diamonds (then Germany's highest honor). That he isn't wearing it in this photo isn't an oversight on his part. Military custom is that aces flew with the Knight's Cross worn around the neck.

I realize the writeup in the link is poorly written and filled with gramatical errors. However, the photo is right out of my own copy of the book and the letter he wrote to Hitler is documented.

The confusion comes from an effort by British Intelligence after Molders died to drop leaflets over Germany with a purported letter Molder never did write -- one that urged Germans to embrace the Catholic faith against the Nazis. That was a propaganda effort that was clumsy. However, the letter Molders wrote to Hitler was kept confidential.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Well, militarily spoken WW2 was an astonishing feat for this country. From next to nothing to strength within six to seven years, from the home country to occupying most of the continent within three years.
    Sorry, Björn, but this was the same efficiency that made concentration camps, gas chambers and crematories work so smooth...
    Can't see any honorable merits in these achievements!

I think it's illegitimate to pick up one or two aspects of choice out the fascist regime and declare them as "good".
    This leads to trivialization.

Looks like we both can't create any consent in this matter...

Ken:
    I can't evaluate the quality of the sources you mentioned but there are a lot of myths created around former members of totalitarian regimes. Depending on the point of view of those mythbuilders, even the most convinced followers were turned into heroes of resistance afterwards, as long as the legend created fits to their own interests.
    The whole revisionist historiography is full of those legends.

I once read that "historiography is the projection of ideologies into the past".
    So who's trying to turn a celebrated "hero" of the Nazi system into an immaculate resistance fighter, defying Hitler?

Cui bono? This is the basic question I ask when such legends occur.

David Irving once wrote some remarkable books on war history. Now he belongs to the crazy detestable Holocaust deniers, serving their purposes. His so-called "studies" - cui bono?

I don't have any reason to doubt on the assessment of the German Armed Forces Military History Research Office mentioned above. This institution is far from being known for any ideological biased studies...
    How about your sources?

Cheers,
    Markus.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Back on topic, Stephen Colbert had Tom Hanks on his show last night to promote "The Pacific".

Part 1:
    http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...om-hanks-pt--1

Part 2 (featuring a teaser clip from the series):
    http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...om-hanks-pt--2

Sorry, Björn, but this was the same efficiency that made concentration camps, gas chambers and crematories work so smooth...
    Can't see any honorable merits in these achievements!
    Concentration camps were SS business, not one of the Wehrmacht.

Sure, Wehrmachtunits *were* responsible for atrocities committed on the front, but far less than you think.

As I said, the "cleansing" of the population was to the greatest extent SS responsibility because they were, thanks to their thorough indoctrination, way more eager to conduct crimes against humanity.

I think it's illegitimate to pick up one or two aspects of choice out the fascist regime and declare them as "good".
    This leads to trivialization.
    And I say the whole matter is generally regarded as too trivial. Sure, the overall outcome of the twelve years is negative, but *just* negative?

My ethics teacher always told us to look at both sides of the issue before making a final decision, so why not use this approach universially?
    There's no such thing as "pure" evil. Everyone has a, in his/her view, well founded motivation formed by experiences, surroundings and subsequent conclusions.

Looks like we both can't create any consent in this matter...
    Well, you can't have everything.

Tom Hanks on THE PACIFIC:

"Certainly, we wanted to honor U.S. bravery in The Pacific," Hanks says. "But we also wanted to have people say, 'We didn't know our troops did that to Japanese people.' "
    He wants Americans to understand the glories — and the iniquities — of American history. How did this shrug-prone comedic actor transform himself into our most ambitious champion of U.S. history? And how is his vision of history shaping the way the past informs and, yes, entertains us?

I don't know if this is going to be BOB in the Pacific.....viewing will certainly tell.

Full article:

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,...969606,00.html

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

MyassisDragon
    If there is but one lesson to be learned from the massive death and destruction of WWII it is the evil of racism. Both the Axis and the Allies, to one degree or another, suffered from it. It is poison for any civilized society. If we did not learn that lesson, then we learned nothing from WWII.

Quote Originally Posted by MyassisDragon View Post
    If there is but one lesson to be learned from the massive death and destruction of WWII it is the evil of racism.
    Now that's a very good conclusion!
    Thank you.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Happiness Consultant
    If there is but one lesson to be learned from the massive death and destruction of WWII it is the evil of racism. Both the Axis and the Allies, to one degree or another, suffered from it. ...
    I think its a little deeper than that, but you're certainly entitled to your views.

... It is poison for any civilized society. If we did not learn that lesson, then we learned nothing from WWII.
    No argument here with regard to the first part of this comment.

Unfortunately, looking at society today as a whole, No, I don't think anyone learned anything pertaining to racism as it still flourishes today. (People have just found a way of disquising it.)
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

If there is but one lesson to be learned from the massive death and destruction of WWII it is the evil of racism. Both the Axis and the Allies, to one degree or another, suffered from it. It is poison for any civilized society. If we did not learn that lesson, then we learned nothing from WWII.
    You're my personal hero of the day! Excellent post! :salute:

Ken Stallings
    That's a big amen!

Ken

m2pilot

same

same, i love bob

If there is but one lesson to be learned from the massive death and destruction of WWII it is the evil of racism.
    Unfortunately I think as in todays conflicts religion can be attributed to that too
    Usually found in Sony Vegas creating the next FS Video and occasionally repainting for movie purposes

http://www.youtube.com/user/UKVoodooUK

Spring chicken to s***ehawk in one easy lesson

daga daga daga daga daga daga daga daga

Charter Member 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by UKVoodoo View Post
    Unfortunately I think as in todays conflicts religion can be attributed to that too

Most certainly. But, not only today's conflicts, throughout Man's history also.
    "Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't"