Blog Entries

Oh Collin you shouldn't of love

Skipsan

Quote Originally Posted by Skipsan View Post
    Oh Collin you shouldn't of love

Skipsan
    If I don't do it the Toronto Trollop will

regards Collin:ernae:

Maybe I should scrounge around and see if I can find my low-poly Stuka somewhere so you can scatter the bits in the area just in front of the bridge.

Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by X_eidos2 View Post
    Maybe I should scrounge around and see if I can find my low-poly Stuka somewhere so you can scatter the bits in the area just in front of the bridge.

Amazing
    Now there's an idea! Though I think most of it got thrown over the side.

C

I found a site on line by one of the lads who was a gunner on the Ohio, he was actually blown overboard by one of the explosions, and picked up a day later with some of his mates. He had some pics but i dont think any showed the gun locations, ....but there is one ariel shot of the ship in Malta harbour that may show shed some light on the gun locations.

Nice work on that Jeep Carrier btw.

http://www.skyunlimited.net/texans_vol2.htm
    Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

Collin, OHIO Project is looking great. Question , what data do you alter and where ( Dp file , ship cfg file, etc. ? ) to vary a ships entire model level to get " the deck awash effect" ? Thanks in advance, Wahoo.

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Collin, OHIO Project is looking great. Question , what data do you alter and where ( Dp file , ship cfg file, etc. ? ) to vary a ships entire model level to get " the deck awash effect" ? Thanks in advance, Wahoo.
    Select all the parts in the fsds file and lower them down to the level I want......simples.

I'am now abusing the parts to reshape them to show damage and a different texture bmp has been added.

Stuka bits

Here are the two Stuka models that I've got stored away in my archives. They're about 12 years old. Maybe you could mash them up a bit. I seem to remember reading that a few of the crew from the destroyers that were lashed up with the Ohio went aboard the Ohio and helped themselves to bits of the Stuka for souvenirs.

Damaged Ohio trials are now proceeding...

Attachment 1809

Attachment 1812

Attachment 1810

Attachment 1811

Pay no attention to the wake effects, these will be deleted from the dp and the guns will be reduced to 1 on the aft superstructure just behind whats left of the ventilators.

I luv messing this model up...its been a bitch from start to finish..breaking it has been nearly as good as going on a poly jehad.

Charter Member 2011
    Blog Entries

Looking good kid

Skipsan

Yo LongJock;

I done what you said .... blowed her up .... REAL GOOD!!
    Check yer email fer my full report.

GREAT work Bro! ... yer screenshots don't show the nice oil-slick she starts trailing.

But where the hell did ya get her gunners? .... from the "Luke Skywalker Lazar Gun Academy" ????

Actually it was more intense than I had expected but with standard evasion tactics avoided most of it.

She's a tough little ship too .... took 5 torps to get the job done.

.............. Attachment 1961
    Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

Thanks Dirtman, did Tom send you the damaged version as well?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    Thanks Dirtman, did Tom send you the damaged version as well?
    NO!! .... Attachment 1962

You's guys are sooo mean to me!
    Dirtman

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtman View Post
    NO!! .... Attachment 1962

You's guys are sooo mean to me!
    Well yer got it now you old trollop so shut up an get on with it:violent:

Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    Well yer got it now you old trollop so shut up an get on with it:violent:
    Alright already, you Romford Rummy! Attachment 2016

Only took 3 torps ta sink the damage model - I used the regular ones; not Tango's new fish.

Then I started bombing the snot out of her with 1000lb-ers
    Gave up after 9 direct hits ..... couldn't sink the bitch! Attachment 2018
    Dirtman

Gave up after 9 direct hits ..... couldn't sink the bitch!
    Funny - I think that's exactly what the Germans and Italians said as well.

The petrol was in the destroyers...the tanker was filled with styrofoam and was a summat for the enemy to aim at.

Vanguard part 4

With the launch of the Ohio some of the workforce at the 'ole shipyard has been freed up. Supplies of armour-plate have been delivered and work has once again resumed on the Vanguard.

The secondary armament of 5.25's has been installed along with their mounts. Problem was the turrets are mk2's and differ from those made for the KGV and Dido class in their shape. Finding any kind of plan of these was difficult, so back to the model of her in the Science Museum and the ships plans from Sambrooks plus various photo's.

Tried to make them out of one tube along Y axis, but the poly for the roof wouldn't respond to the reshaping of the points, same for several other polys near the barrels. So various primitive shapes had to be used and I ended up with about 330 polys per turret and barrels with 1 glass poly for the observers position (though you have to get real close to see it).

Attachment 2295

Attachment 2294

Lookin' Good Collin!!!
    PSULLYKEYS

The only thing necessary for evil to win is for good men to do nothing.

Charter Member 2011
    Blog Entries
    Very impressive Collin! The tapered gun barrels are quit interesting.

Skipsan

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    Nice to see Ye Ol Shipyard working wonders again!!
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtman View Post
    Alright already, you Romford Rummy! Attachment 2016

Only took 3 torps ta sink the damage model - I used the regular ones; not Tango's new fish.

Then I started bombing the snot out of her with 1000lb-ers
    Gave up after 9 direct hits ..... couldn't sink the bitch! Attachment 2018

Sounds like ye ole trollop is in a destructive mode. Sink another for Canada. I got grog for you waiting at Wild Cats up here.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    LOL!

Next time I build a ship with a damage model.... it's going to run up a flag and say

" Dirtman... ya missed eh!"

:d
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

Vanguard part 5

Main Turrets

I scrapped the old ones and after 4 attempts with primitive tubes I went back to the drawing board. With several books in hand I decided to build them like the originals on the ship with boxes depicting the side plates. Viewing several photo's in books like

HMS Vanguard, by Neil McCart,
    Naval Weapons, by J Campbell,
    To Sail No More part 7, by Steve Bush.

I managed to reason out how they were done. Once made I went on a poly hunt and deleted those not seen then joined them together to form the turret sides. The roof came next and this was made from about five 4 sided tubes, again a poly hunt followed and the roof parts joined. Turret sides and roof were textured seperately and then joined with the axis repositioned.

Attachment 2507

There are a few errant polys and points that don't wish to co-operate, but the workforce battered most of them into submission, those remaining, don't seem to alter the appearance and have been left alone.

Now for the barrels...

Attachment 2508

These are made from a 12 sided tube, with about 12 cross sections. Some to taper the shape of the barrel, some so that the polys between the sections could be textured differently.

Turret and barrels were joined, and have a total of 449 polys for each turret.

There's a few remaining parts to be made for the turrets which will be added later.

Lookin' fine Collin!

My 86' wood drifter is up at my site - 2 skins, enjoy. An unarmed one is in the works.
    PSULLYKEYS

The only thing necessary for evil to win is for good men to do nothing.

Members who have read this thread: 1