10 most expensive video games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 most expensive video games

Charter Member 2011

10 most expensive video games

yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post
    Grand Theft Auto IV - $100 million
    Gran Turismo 5 - $80 million
    Shenmue - $70 million
    Too Human - $60 million+
    Metal Gear Solid 4 - $60 million
    Halo 3 - $55 million
    APB - $50 million
    L.A. Noire - $50 million
    Final Fantasy XII - $48 million
    Killzone 2 - $45 million

And not a single one has entered our home.

It does seem strange that none of them, or their predecessors, has made it across our threshold either...

Brian

i was just going to say the same

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    And not a single one has entered our home.
    Nor mine. Nothing there that interests me..... at all.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Gee, I thought I had to be a weird person for not having any interest in any of those games...but I guess I'm normal...either that or I tend to hang out with weird people.

Those games are more inline with slacker gamer types.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    ...either that or I tend to hang out with weird people.
    OBIO
    Oh thanks! Now yer calling the rest of us weird?
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    Those games are more inline with slacker gamer types.

OBIO
    Flightsim snobbery much?

I own two of the games on the list, and if I had a PS3, I'd be getting Gran Turismo 5 as soon as it came out. Most of the other games aren't out yet, and some of the one that are out were just bad.

GTA IV is, well, pretty much like the rest of the GTA series. Incredibly fun and enjoyable games to play, very tongue in cheek and highly recommended.

The others really aren't my cup of tea though.
    Swa se ðeodkyning þeawum lyfde

I tend to stick with the FPS type games when not flightsimming...in the style of Doom, Doom 2. Something where you can jump in a do a couple of levels and kill monsters ! Not too heavy in the puzzles or in-game story....alas, I am a simple man !

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    I have none either, but I would sure like to get Grand Turismo.

100 million... man.. I could get a couple of new shirts with that much..

:d
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

most interesting list, esp since COD is not on it.

I' like to see the dev costs of MW against sales, MW2 esp has been soooooo big.

None of those are at my house either. The only game that I play is Pirates! and the rest are flight sims.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

The only one I own on the list is Halo 3. However I call BS on the list. Duke Nukem Forever is the most expensive game. *Dev 1997–2010 never finished* Maybe it was not on the list becouse it was not finished. Starcraft 2 will be in the top 3 when its finished, if ever too....
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    GTA IV is, well, pretty much like the rest of the GTA series. Incredibly fun and enjoyable games to play, very tongue in cheek and highly recommended.

The others really aren't my cup of tea though.
    Yeah, the production costs are evident in the final product. The music, talk radio, tv, people on the street, internet, everything makes it so immersive and entertaining (The talk radio is arguably my favorite part of the whole game). The whole game is like a giant satire on American culture. I just downloaded the new expansion pack and have been playing that for a week or so.

harleyman
    My girls have the racing games......

they completely whoop my butt too...lol

Ken Stallings
    Remember the reason why Microsoft fired their PC games department? They said it was too expensive to produce these games for PC. Combined with the myriad of configuration options and the numerous customer issues it caused, this list might validate Microsoft's decision.

I still hope someone picks up the pieces and makes another Flight Simulator for PC.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stallings View Post
    Remember the reason why Microsoft fired their PC games department? They said it was too expensive to produce these games for PC. Combined with the myriad of configuration options and the numerous customer issues it caused, this list might validate Microsoft's decision.

I still hope someone picks up the pieces and makes another Flight Simulator for PC.

Ken
    interesting...i sure hope they didn't spend big bucks on the music!

in all seriousness though, i know nothing about writing code but it did seem as though there were an unusual amount of problems with fsx when it was initially released. microsoft is notorious for using the end user for product development. i always guessed that this one time they took that theme a little farther than they mebbe should have. of course their decision to close it, is in no way going to be popular with this crowd. (myself included)

i don't know if they made a good decision or not, business-wise. i just regret that the decision they made was to end flight simulation in it's current form. they're not out of the flight sim business yet though. watch and see. they're just taking it in a different direction.

Meh, console games only...well, except GTA4 which could've been ported way better to PC 'though.

Also, expensive doesn't necessarily mean good. Even if CoD:MW2 costs fourty million or more, it's still a crappy game. The best thing about it was the cleverly done credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Meh, console games only...well, except GTA4 which could've been ported way better to PC 'though.

Also, expensive doesn't necessarily mean good. Even if CoD:MW2 costs fourty million or more, it's still a crappy game. The best thing about it was the cleverly done credits.
    I played the MW2 campaign and then multiplayer for about a month or so, and haven't touched it since. It was a fun game IMO, but way too repetitive and doesn't require much thought to play (I always followed the same paths and camped the same spots). I bore easily when it comes to video games. I usually end up back with my old stand-bys: Fallout 3, Oblivion, Arma II and GTA 4.

I cannot for the life of me understand the appeal of the Halo games, I bought into Halo 3 because of the hype and it was in my opinion the biggest waste of money I had ever spent on a game. Granted I don't do multi-player, but I just found the single player game laughable and the plot stupid.
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Why was Final Fantasy XII so expensive!? It wasn't even that great of a game. Many others in that series were far better. I did the conversion for how much Final Fantasy 7 would have cost today and it was only like 13-16 million. Odd.

Gran Turismo 5 is going to be mindblowing. It's a shame I don't have a PS3. I still play GT4 and the PSP version on my PSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Gdavis101 View Post
    I cannot for the life of me understand the appeal of the Halo games, I bought into Halo 3 because of the hype and it was in my opinion the biggest waste of money I had ever spent on a game. Granted I don't do multi-player, but I just found the single player game laughable and the plot stupid.
    I take you have not played Halo 1 or Halo 2. Granted Halo 3 was not the best it could be.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Blog Entries
    When my children were small and still children I use to play some of the games with them. One son was really good at remembering mazes. He would navigate and I would kill the monsters and bad guys.

After they grew up and moved on I bought Obllivion. I created a character, turned on god mode and, hacked and slashed my way across the world until I beat the head demon. I wasn't into the challenge of the game. But I liked the graphics and movies when you accomplished a stage.

Flight Sim (especially that time and money hole called a cockpit) takes up enough time. Don't need anymore.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Gdavis101 View Post
    They're too linear for my tastes. The entire game takes place in a canyon, then a hallway, then a platform with a bottomless pit on either side. I prefer being able to explore and use tactics in a fighting game.