Haunted Avro Lincoln....

Thread: Haunted Avro Lincoln....

Haunted Avro Lincoln....

It has been mentioned here before and it intrigued me - I was slightly unsure where to post this..

So I wanted to share some very interesting information about the world's only remaining Avro Lincoln bomber RF398. It is kept at the RAF Museum at Cosford Airfield, and I visited the place a couple of years ago. Many people believe the bomber (which last flew in 1955) is haunted by its former crew.
    Whilst some museum staff report they feel uneasy when around the bomber alone other, others report that they've seen odd movements through the glass - and some one once said that they'd seen a face peering down from the nose section. When the bomber is then searched no one is on board.
    A museum staff who was polishing down the aircraft apparently set to work on engine No.3 (the Lincoln had Rolls-Royce Griffons) and found the cowling surface to be really warm - as though the engine had just been shut down. When the cockpit was then observed it read 40+ degrees centigrade for engine three although the prop hadn't turned for over 40 years.
    Here is a report that was published on the bomber in the 1990's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IBiBaPrD5U

Whether you believe it or not, one has to admit their is a strange and mysterious feel to old aeroplanes such as RF398 and that this feeling can only be gained by standing before the Lincoln's menacing nose at Cosford...

"No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

Living not far from DCAE Cosford, i have heard this rumour a fair few times, being one of those types of person who wants physical and visual proof that something is as they say it is, i'm somewhat sceptical, there is a list of allegedly Haunted aircraft, This lincoln always manages to be a close one to the top of my can i prove it list...

she's a beauty of an aircraft, as you say the sole survivor, and yeah there is something about warbirds that saw service that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up (Metaphorically of course), i've a visit to Cosford Scheduled shortly, a friend of mine wants a walk around of the 'Hornisse' (I Think it's the Hornisse anyways) so i guess i'll use a 1gb camera card on that alone... gonna be a good year for warbirds here in the UK what with the 70th Anniv. of the Battle Of Britain...

Cool, thanks for the youtube link, most spoooky.

Ive always liked the Lincoln, but being a Lancaster fanatic Its easy to like the lincoln and shack and even the ill fated Manchester.

Oh yeah- this year's 70th Anniversairy BoB Airshow are gonna be great- especially the Battle of Britain Airshow at Duxford on in September...

Yeah, that's a bit on the creepy side.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

When the haunted Lincoln last came up on this forum, did I mention the haunted squash courts at RAF Bircham Newton up near Kings Lynn in Norfolk ? Its now a construction industry training centre, but according to some people I spoke to, there are still some strange goings-on in there. And there was the famous BBC tape recording on the Jack de Manio radio programme...

All very curious.