SBD Dauntless released. - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SBD Dauntless released.

Blog Entries
    I gotta admit, i dont know much about the dauntless, nor its successor, and frankly i have damned little time for reading anything that isnt aerodynamics related.. Part of senility i guess, always having to relearn everything over again.. some of those formu;as though can be well,, daunting.. But i digress..
    Having been in combat, as others here have as well, i know this much. The first rule of battle is that when the fighting starts, all plans are null and void.. Midway was a cluster ******, we all know this, but i cant fault anyone for "botching" it up.. That had to be hella confusing and scary beyond imagination. The dauntless did a wonderful job with the men that were flying her, But i think back to another battle, where another plane made history, and that was the battle for the Bismark.. Again botched, but sheesh, the brits had taken two major blows and disarray was the mode of the day. yet, it was one little world war one kingfisher with one guy hanging out of the cockpit, held onto the plane only by his feet so he could judge the top of the waves, that got the job done.. The helldiver was a good plane. maybe not as historical as the dauntless, but the men who flew her were no less heros. They helped end the war..
    We hold machines up to the light and put them on pedestals, but always, its the human element that is the true history maker.

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    it was one little world war one kingfisher
    or even a 1930s fairy swordfish
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Ken Stallings
    Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post
    appels and oranges comparison
    No, it was not.

Of course, if you wish to expand upon your claim I would read your points.

Ken

First off, to Team Vertigo, you folks did a hell of a job building this Dauntless. I have bought both this one and the Hellcat and feel they were two of the best buys I've made in FS models in some time.

With regards to the debate on the two Dive Bombers, hell, they both did their jobs and with brave crews. Like any other air crewmen, aviators defend their birds against any and all comparisons. We know the reputation garnered by the Dauntless and it's crews. Based on accounts in a couple of WW2 Naval Aviation books I have from the 1970's, the Helldiver had a lot of things going for it numbers wise. The one constant pilots noted was the bugs the plane had up till the SB2C-4 came along. Like a lot of planes(even the B-29), sometimes it took time to iron out all the wrinkles. Nonetheless, I always liked the look of both planes. They and their crews earned their place in history.
    "Soon to be Expat"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post
    or even a 1930s fairy swordfish
    errr ummm..
    ya got me there ::LOL:: sory, and thanks for the correction..
    Pam

Ken Stallings
    Quote Originally Posted by deathfromafar View Post
    First off, to Team Vertigo, you folks did a hell of a job building this Dauntless. I have bought both this one and the Hellcat and feel they were two of the best buys I've made in FS models in some time.

With regards to the debate on the two Dive Bombers, hell, they both did their jobs and with brave crews. Like any other air crewmen, aviators defend their birds against any and all comparisons. We know the reputation garnered by the Dauntless and it's crews. Based on accounts in a couple of WW2 Naval Aviation books I have from the 1970's, the Helldiver had a lot of things going for it numbers wise. The one constant pilots noted was the bugs the plane had up till the SB2C-4 came along. Like a lot of planes(even the B-29), sometimes it took time to iron out all the wrinkles. Nonetheless, I always liked the look of both planes. They and their crews earned their place in history.
    Your post sums up the situation extremely well.

Cheers,

Ken

Downloaded this yesterday and it’s a great job. Two questions come to mind:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o></o>
    The F6F is by Vertigo Studios / Real Flight Simulations<o></o>
    The Dauntless is by Vertigo Studios<o></o>
    <o></o>
    One and the same? They ended up in different folders in Sim Objects / Airplanes.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    A sound question: As I’m sitting in the pit looking around and familiarizing myself, or when taxiing, or when sitting on the runway waiting to take off, I’m hearing the sound of a Dauntless (?) flying overhead, approaching from one direction and receding in its opposite. I pan around but see nothing. I then thought it could be the sound set for the Dauntless that is used in the flyby view being activated somehow? Anyone else experience this. (And no, I haven’t been fortifying my morning coffee with a shot of anything, lately).<o></o>
    <o></o>
    For the record I’m on Vista64 with MOBO sound.<o></o>
    "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"

Hi there, yes when sat on the runway you will hear a SBD fly-over (ambient sounds) Realflight and Vertigo Studios are indeed the same outfit, we changed name a few months ago.

The ambient sounds will become more apparent when we release the P36 as we're looking to add AI P36 traffic and also stationary aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by FLighT01 View Post
    Downloaded this yesterday and it’s a great job. Two questions come to mind:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o></o>
    The F6F is by Vertigo Studios / Real Flight Simulations<o></o>
    The Dauntless is by Vertigo Studios<o></o>
    <o></o>
    One and the same? They ended up in different folders in Sim Objects / Airplanes.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    A sound question: As I’m sitting in the pit looking around and familiarizing myself, or when taxiing, or when sitting on the runway waiting to take off, I’m hearing the sound of a Dauntless (?) flying overhead, approaching from one direction and receding in its opposite. I pan around but see nothing. I then thought it could be the sound set for the Dauntless that is used in the flyby view being activated somehow? Anyone else experience this. (And no, I haven’t been fortifying my morning coffee with a shot of anything, lately).<o></o>
    <o></o>
    For the record I’m on Vista64 with MOBO sound.<o></o>

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    Hi there, yes when sat on the runway you will hear a SBD fly-over (ambient sounds) Realflight and Vertigo Studios are indeed the same outfit, we changed name a few months ago.

The ambient sounds will become more apparent when we release the P36 as we're looking to add AI P36 traffic and also stationary aircraft.
    Sweeeeeeeet
    "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"

I've wanted a native-X Dauntless for at least two years. This is better than I hoped for.

Some dive bombing questions:

1. Can the wing pylons be armed?

2. Can you set a key to deploy the swing carriage? I ask because I'd like to watch the animation from outside.

3. Can you set a key to drop the bomb? Again, I ask because I'd like to watch the bomb fall from outside.

4. Anyone figured out how to link bomb impact with an effect? (Cf. Iris F-16.)
    David Wilson-Okamura

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
    Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
    A lonely impulse of delight
    Drove to this tumult in the clouds.
    -- W. B. Yeats, "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death"

Engine settings, temps from the 1942 "Pilot's Handbook: Model SBD-3," which I found here: http://avialogs.com/douglas/douglas-sbd-3-dauntless/
    David Wilson-Okamura

If there's a patch planned, here are some suggested fixes:

1. Reference tab on kneeboard refers user to non-existent checklist tab on kneeboard
    2. On the brown and white "Aruba" paint, the "swiss cheese" holes are white or untextured on the inside. This looks odd in bright sunlight. Or maybe it looked odd in real life!
    3. The autopilot switch moves slightly to the left when you click "on," but it still points in the general direction of "off."
    4. The clock has a 24-hour face, but hands indicate time like a 12-hour clock. E.g., actual time 0645 shows as 1245 on the clock.

Additions?

1. As I understand it, the gyro in the center of the main panel was used to adjust the autopilot heading. Would it be possible to make it do the same here?
    2. Make the SBD-3 bombsight telescopic. (Could be more trouble/FPS-unfriendly than it's worth.)
    3. I believe the SBD-5 had a reflector bombsight.

Attachment 1756
    David Wilson-Okamura

A paintkit is now available. See http://vertigostudios.co.uk/node/218. Unfortunately, to read the whole post (and I think to download the paintkit) you have to register and login.
    David Wilson-Okamura

dswo...thanks for posting the location for SBD-3 "Pilot's Handbook".
    Just what I was hunting for!

Roy Marsh

Yeah thanks for that David!

Haven't seen anyone post yet about the SBD's role in Vietnam/Indo-China (the French Navy flew some) & I thought it worth mentioning. This SBD Dauntless is mighty tempting, though am still holding out for their F8f Bearcat... same power plant but lighter, smaller, climbs like crazy comparatively. It will keep my F6f good company. May just end up purchasing this one as well, as it is obviously a fine piece of FS work. Am also interested, as David asks, if a bomb effect has been able to be linked with the release of the 1000 pounder. Thanks.

​.

Just got this one. It's really nice.....

However, after reading thru the manual I still can't figure out how to get the rear guns to deploy.

Can anyone tell me the correct key combo to do this?

-G-

Shift-e, release everything, then very quickly hit 2 opens the middle window.
    Shift-e, release everything, then very quickly hit 3 opens the rear window and sets up the gun.
    David Wilson-Okamura

Yeah Dave's right Lateral, but my FPS is aweful with this aircraft I'm gutted!

Quote Originally Posted by dswo View Post
    Shift-e, release everything, then very quickly hit 2 opens the middle window.
    Shift-e, release everything, then very quickly hit 3 opens the rear window and sets up the gun.
    Thanks Dave!

-G-

The map tray is a good idea, but I wanted a different image. Happily, it's easy to substitute your own. The file you want is in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\VS_SBD\texture subfolder and is named SBD_map.dds. Make a back-up before you do anything else.

You can edit DDS files directly with the free Paint.NET program. (I know there are other ways too, but I wanted to try Paint.NET.) It's 512 by 512, which is a bit grainy for up close, so I expanded the canvas to 1024 by 1024 and popped in a map of the Solomon Islands c. 1943. Don't save it yet: you need to flip it vertically first. NOW you can save it. Reload the sim (or just load a different plane and reload the SBD). See how it looks.

Attached is my Solomons map, with a screenshot of how it looks in the VC (with the ENBseries bloom plugin).

-- I updated the chart a little bit; scroll down to my next post for the new file.
    David Wilson-Okamura

Nice touch David, appreciated.

I added some items to the top of the chart board: MP settings and speeds from the SBD-3 Pilot's Handbook, and a recognition silhouette for the Zuikaku carrier.
    David Wilson-Okamura

Lights

Is iny way to reduce size of lights? Formation lights looks very... hmmm... funky maybe. Try turn them On and see.

Members who have read this thread: 1