SBD Dauntless released. - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SBD Dauntless released.

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    This plane is too much fun! You just can't roll over and dive at a 70 degree angle from 20,000 feet down to 5000 and not die! You'll overspeed in seconds, and that's it. But this baby will. I know, it's supposed to. But it's still fun to actually do it!
    i can do it without overspeeding, drive brakes out, flaps full down, cut the throttle and roll it over, goes from 20k to 5k without going faster than 154knts
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Yes, that's what I meant... The fact that you can go straight down from 20,000 to 2,000 feet without over speeding is, while normal and expected for a dive bomber, rather "abnormal behavior" for most planes in FS, which is why it's such fun!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Just a quick update, we have no released through fspilotshop for customers that are more comfortable with there payment system .

http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_i...oducts_id=2493

Phew! (Must resist...) :d

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Phew! (Must resist...) :d

::chuckles:: Resistance is futile!! ::LOL:::

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    Just a quick update, we have no released through fspilotshop for customers that are more comfortable with there payment system .

Thank you for doing that Dean, now I can get her!:salute:

Just wanted to chime in that I like this plane A LOT. Thanks!

Really, a beautiful bird ...

Attachment 813

Attachment 814

Thank's, VERTIGO

Bernhard

Wonderful Sunday at home
    Thanks
    Downloading now.
    It(-alo

On Another Planet
    Kind of off topic but I am trying to remember the name of the other major dive bomber in WWII. Thereis the Dauntless, theHelldiver, and one other one. What is it called?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click my sig for my Flickr

MCDesigns
    A-35 Vengeance ?
    I was going to say that or the SB2U Vindicator

Charter Member 2011
    or even devastor
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Ken Stallings
    Quote Originally Posted by Helldiver View Post
    Gajit wrote, "I love your passion for the SB2C :salute:

But i think the Dauntless would be the first choice for me if I were a producer."

It only proves what distortion that has taken place since WWII happened. You people have a slant on the war that never happened. You read your funny books. written by people that never were around, and you believe it to be the truth.

I know what happened.
    I wish sometimes you would appreciate how frequently people show their respect for your service by overlooking your views on this subject.

The efforts of the Wildcat, Devastator, and Dauntless crews, with their sacrifices against the best the IJNAF could throw at them, ensured that later own more advanced aircraft such as the SB2C could enjoy the successes they earned.

Without question, the SBD earned immortal status due to the events of Midway. Some was luck, much was pure courage and sacrifice by the TBD crews who drew down the Zero's and prevented them reorganizing before the SBD's delivered a coup de grace on the Japanese carrier force the IJN never could recover from.

Nevertheless, in terms of relative qualities, the one aircraft that the USN had on hand in that vital first year that was superior to the Japanese equvalent was the Douglas SBD Dauntless. The Val wasn't as good. Thus it was also due to the quality of the SBD that when the opportunity presented itself, those crews were able to deliver the punch that lives on in human history.

When an aircraft and their crews deliver the blow which was the turning point of the PTO, it cannot be ignored, nor expected to be. This is why so many people are thrilled by the many releases of this classic warbird. Why you seem to so consistently wish to rain on that parade is vexing and disappointing. My personal respect for your service is without qualification, and is based upon a detailed study of the war which I've spent a large portion of my life doing.

My own rather limited experience has given me an added insight into the personal courage you demonstrated on each sortie you flew. And again, that personal respect has no bounds. But I cannot understand how your own courage and service can translate into the comments you make each time the SBD is rendered in virtual form. And I would please ask you consider what is being said here in reply. Too many people respect you and feel uncomfortable replying in this way. Perhaps you think I'm being unfair, but unfortunately, I think I'm being very fair and I wish I didn't feel it necessary to be so.

Sincerely,

Ken Stallings

Ken, exactly what I thought....

I bought the Vertigo SBD Dauntless last week, and am really impressed with the beautiful looks and the nice flying with it.
    It also fits very nice in my FSX Solomon 1943 project.
    The only thing I would nag about is the front upper canopy frame when looking out the VC. It looks a bit rough-textured.

I look forward the Wildcat and hope that a Airacobra will be on a future release list!

Cheers,
    Mark

Master of Disaster
    Some people lack big picture perspective because the historical event that they experienced first hand was VERY personal. I've been involved first hand in a few "historical" events. What I saw and experienced was much diffrent than what others saw; the human experience I guess. I've spent over 20yrs of my life speaking with vets of many conflicts ALL of them have a diffrent story/experience to tell. Just an observation.

Example: As much as I dislike the M-16A1/2 rifle it has saved my life a few times, there for I love the little piece of junk! LOL

I'm off to fly my dive bomber!!:salute:
    If government was the answer, it was a stupid question!

I wish sometimes you would appreciate how frequently people show their respect for your service by overlooking your views on this subject.
    Wow! How do you know this? Did I miss a poll or something?

I would never go out on a limb and speak for other members like this since I, nor anyone for that matter, really have any way of knowing beyond assumption how other people feel about Helldiver's comments. But, I can speak for myself and I have no problem with them. Given his experience, maybe he knows something the rest of us don't.

But I cannot understand how your own courage and service can translate into the comments you make each time the SBD is rendered in virtual form.
    Regardless, his comments seem quite benign to me. Afterall, they largely pertain to renditions of airplanes in a video game and are opinion. I don't know why this would become an issue to the extent that a post of this nature would be necessary, and I have a hard time understanding how his comments are "raining" on some parade.

Maybe you can enlighten me as to how Helldiver's comments are of such concern that they are an issue. And, please tell me to whom they are an issue.

Thanks

I for one am glad to see development and release of these historic aircraft. The SBD was a design of the famous Robert Hineman who later designed the equally classic and capable A4. His guiding principle in the A4 design was "simplicate and add lightness", believing that bigger is often.. lots bigger. The SBD might be summed up as "less is more".

Capt "Winkle" Brown , well known test pilot for the Royal Navy seemed a bit astounded, "This is the plane that was the terror of the Pacific war"? His conclusion, a plane that suceeded despite itself, a tribute to the skill of it's crews. It did have the lowest loss rate per mission of any USN aircraft of the war.

Perhaps just good enough at everything.

Dive bombers are fun to fly, I did the FM for the Outhouse one of several years ago. Especially tucked into a nearly verticle dive trying to keep the sights and lead on the target.

Cheers: T

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gentlemen?
    please keep this thread Non Personal
    it is about a SBD Dauntless
    not about any other reason or comparison
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

South Chesterfield Virginia, United States
    Blog Entries

Eric Brown is great. Here's some more words from his chapter on the SBD:

"My primary interest in the Dauntless lay in its dive bombing characteristics and so I staggered up to 15,000 feet..." Love that guy!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

I did have to laugh a bit when "Winkle" Brown refered to it as a "decidedly pre-war in appearance".... especially in comparison to what the Fleet Air Arm was using at the time....

T

Ken Stallings
    Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    I for one am glad to see development and release of these historic aircraft. The SBD was a design of the famous Robert Hineman who later designed the equally classic and capable A4. His guiding principle in the A4 design was "simplicate and add lightness", believing that bigger is often.. lots bigger. The SBD might be summed up as "less is more".

Capt "Winkle" Brown , well known test pilot for the Royal Navy seemed a bit astounded, "This is the plane that was the terror of the Pacific war"? His conclusion, a plane that suceeded despite itself, a tribute to the skill of it's crews. It did have the lowest loss rate per mission of any USN aircraft of the war.

Perhaps just good enough at everything.

Dive bombers are fun to fly, I did the FM for the Outhouse one of several years ago. Especially tucked into a nearly verticle dive trying to keep the sights and lead on the target.

Cheers: T
    I remember reading about a comparison between the war experiences of two aircraft with somewhat similar performance -- the Fairey Battle and the Douglas Dauntless. The experiences could not have been more diametrically opposed. Opposed except in one area -- the boundless courage of the men who flew them into harm's way.

Yet, up against two of the best fighters of the opening of the war -- the Me-109 and the A6M Zero, the Battle was butchered at a shocking level and the Dauntless succeeded to a history making level.

In looking at payload, speed, range one thing was not compared -- maneuverability. The Dauntless was surprisingly nimble for a two-man dive bomber. It was also better armed with two .50 cal machine guns on the top cowling. Among the many missions the SBD was pressed to perform was fleet defense, and it was able to shoot down a Val or Kate attack aircraft. The aircraft was also rock solid and stable in the dive, which meant that a well trained pilot could ram home the bomb with amazing accuracy.

This stability when combined with excellent maneuverability for a bomber was a nice combination. When you add in the stability during an approach to land on a carrier, it's really little surprise the aircraft was so loved by their crews.

Yes, more raw speed to escape a fighter attack, and more payload to deal more damage to the enemy were undeniable qualities later aircraft like the Avenger and Helldiver enjoyed. But no other aircraft in the USN earned such a war-changing record. In looking at raw impact to the enemy, the closest second place likely goes to the Hellcat which effectively destroyed the remainder of the IJNAF fighter arm in the Marianas Turkey Shoot. The great difference is that the Dauntless accomplished its achievement when the outcome of the war remained in doubt.

Destroying one quarter of the enemy's total carrier force as it existed in June 1942, in one day, is an achievement no other single aircraft can claim.

Ken

Perfect! I was hoping you would as that's how I acquired your F6F.
    "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stallings View Post
    Yet, up against two of the best fighters of the opening of the war -- the Me-109 and the A6M Zero, the Battle was butchered at a shocking level and the Dauntless succeeded to a history making level.
    appels and oranges comparison

Members who have read this thread: 1