Question re Vista "VirtualStore" and CFS3

Thread: Question re Vista "VirtualStore" and CFS3

Question re Vista "VirtualStore" and CFS3

Accidently, I just discovered that buried deep in my AppData file (Vista) is a folder called "VirtualStore". Within that folder is another "MicrosoftGames" folder containing what appears to be old (now uninstalled) versions of CFS3, ETO, MAW, CFS2 etc. These aren't complete and basically contain a limited number of files/folders (Aircaft to Weapons) and the individual aircraft contain only BDP or TMP files.

Can anyone tell me what this is and whether these files have any impact on the current installs?

I discovered it only because my "vanilla" CFS3 install contained a single additional downloaded aircraft in the game which I though I had removed (the GC Fieseler). Although it appeared as a flyable plane in the game, it wasn't anywhere in my CFS3 install. A search eventually showed this aircraft (a full version for some reason) in the "Virtual Store" folder.

Curious! Windows 7 also has a VirtualStore folder in AppData. No idea what it's for yet mind you, and CFS3 has no folders there so far.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

I suspect - don't know for certain - that the files may only be created after you uninstall or remove a program.

I had alot of trouble with PTO, so I installed it again with the UAC turned off and it didnot creat the folder in the Vitualstore. Also installed OFF the same way and no OFF folder in the Virtualstore. I am not sure what the VirtualStore does but PTO works good now.

I installed ETO Expansion with the UAC off (you have no choice but to do so). Yet ETO, like the rest which were installed with the UAC on, has files contained in the Virtual Store. Go figure.

Charter Member 2015
    Hello, Some explanation ... but complicated ... for me :isadizzy:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387
    :mixedsmi:
    Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win10/Win11 Pro X64

Yes, sure looks like Scenario 4. This explains how I thought I had deleted a file, yet it existed elsewhere.

Members who have read this thread: 0