Fsx Native DH-88 Comet !
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fsx Native DH-88 Comet !

Bloomin' Marvellous!!

SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Charter Member 2011
    ooo aaaa eeeeeee as much as i love haveing a native fsx version, it is the defult fs9 comet .. now the only way i know of getting that model is to use the ripper ... i know credit is given in the manual but still ...
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Great job Craig

Sent you a PM mate

Regards
    Rick

Beautiful! , will see if I can do a prop mod for it ...

Mike

It's fantastic. Until now I was using the FS9 one, which was already beautifull. Now you've made it almost perfect. Thanks a lot Craig

Blog Entries
    Another masterpiece. Thanks Craig.

Blog Entries
    thats such a sweet looking airplane.. Thank you ..

very nice, but I echo stiz's concern.

Its MS property, I cant find anything that says anything else on the site? Without permission this is piracy and the chap clearly does great work but can get into nasty trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis-A2A View Post
    very nice, but I echo stiz's concern.

Its MS property, I cant find anything that says anything else on the site? Without permission this is piracy and the chap clearly does great work but can get into nasty trouble.
    Don't lets tell 'em then, p'raps they won't notice.

Well I believe this chap does have permission to use it, just a suggest he maybe place somthing to that effect on the site.

And if he doesnt, then at the end of the day piracy is piracy, if its ripping off one of us small devs or the bigger one that brought us all here in the first place!

Well Lewis,
    I don't agree. To "rip-off" would imply making money from the product. This clearly is not the case. There are out there in "sim-land" many people who have offered "so-called" fixes for the default Fs9 aircraft to operate in FsX...otherwise known as port-overs...Full's version of the Comet for FsX just goes one step further to allow us to enjoy one of the Fs9 default aircraft in FsX without the anomalies usually associated with port-overs. I think your comments are ill judged and unnecessary and only MS will have the right to veto or otherwise, if they choose to do so.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

The ramifications of this project being done at all go way beyond whether Microsoft approved it (which I doubt). I think this is the first obvious release of a "ripped" model, which implies that it can be reasonably done. Until now it was felt that although there are programs out there that grab mesh the end result was not really usable due to the amount of work needed to re-do all of the things the ripper program messed up.
    Regards,
    Robert

this is the first obvious release of a "ripped" model
    Did i say that i created this from scratch ? I will pull the files from my server ASAP, And by the way it takes a long time to
    re-do all of the things the ripper program messed up
    I was only trying to give the community a decent alternative and no harm was ment !
    Craig

Legendary!!

I will admit that I am working off of the appraisal made by Stiz, but I do so knowing his developing background. Perhaps you could clarify the whole thing for us? Understand that I feel your intentions were totally good. It's the fact that if this was "borrowed" mesh that was in fact converted then it means a lot to developers doing this for a meager paycheck. It's that it apparently can be done, not necessarily that you did it. I hope that makes sense.
    Regards,
    Robert

Blog Entries
    I'm not one who can look at a model and say that it came from here or there.. simply not one of my great skills, so i thank you folks that can for being able to do so.. It seems fairly obvious to me that this project was started by this gentleman with a light heart, wanting to bring something wonderful from the past into the present. from a personal standpoint, i cant fault the motives, nor the effort involved. I wish i had those skills just so i could pull a few of my favorites into fsx for my own use, but i dont.. i'm just a number cruncher..
    I cannot and will not judge the morality, ethics or legality of this action. After all, I WAS one of the team that completely reworked and changed the FSX default goose wilh the OzX team.. No one jumped on us, except to correct us on how they thought it should fly as opposed to what actual goose pilots said of it.. No biggy there..
    there is definitely a fear factor there.. Modelers can now have their models used by someone else.. Indeed thats a concern, and one thats not too small.. As a flight model developer, its something i have to accept all the time. it takes months of sleepless nights to get a flight model right, but for someone else to use it, it takes copy paste and change a couple lines.. So you see, i know that fear well..
    Normally, i wont use or download aircraftfrom one vendor that another vendor has created, but this was a default aircraft thats simply been updated and it is well known now, that it is. If i'm going to point a finger at this gentleman, then i have to point a finger at myself, because i completely took the MS flight model on the goose and completely re-wrote it.. Base line though, is that before i changed every nymber in there, before i put my name on it, it had MS's name on it, and it had MS's numbers in it..
    Flight Sim, and the cultures interest in it, are diminishing. MS has abandoned us, and we are now faced with ... what???
    There is nothing wrong with the colins organization, or maam, or the confederate airforce going out, finding a scrap of a plane and restoring it using parts they have milled themselves. Perhaps, we're beginning to see a similar thing in FSX. ???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    MS has abandoned us,...
    Yes, I had the impression that Microsoft abandoned further developement several years ago and that the SDK and G-Max were included to encourage further developement by individuals. Since Mr. Richardson clearly stated that this is freeware and credited the original designers, I see no problem with his efforts to improve a default aircraft.
    I think Microsoft created some great simulators. I became a member and donate to Sim Outhouse because of all the developement that goes on here not only for FSX but all the way down to the basement.

I don't see any harm in this as long as it's free. People update air files and make repaints of default aircraft. What's the difference with this? Again as long as he doesn't profit from this, there's no foul. He is just improving the default model. Thank you for your time making this nice model!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't think the big picture is being seen here.

It has been demonstrated that you can take any model and use it as you will. Here's an example...when I was building the freeware Quickie I needed a pilot figure. I was provided one by a well intending party, but it turned out that it was not kosher according to the manufacturer of the software that the figure was made from. Upon learning about that I made my own. It took a fair amount of time, and he turned out pretty good.

With this program he could easily show up in someone's payware release. Could it be proven he was stolen? Sure, if I had the time & money. In reality I will lose because I have neither, and the laws are hosed about this sort of thing.

Again, I do not hold anything against 'full'. It's the ability to do this at all that I am worked up about.
    Regards,
    Robert

I do it all the time, I can't see the problem as long as its for personal use,as an aviation enthusiast, I constanty tweak the handling caracteristics of my aircraft but I do find on the most part its FS9 JETS I have to do it with and not the newest releases we've have, I think yes this aircraft is a bit well, how can I put this not to my taste, even if its an iconic one, but I love the fact that we can make an aircraft better or worse depending on what you think, but I can say from my point of view I think the dev's get it pretty well spot on most of the time! I always think well if you don't like it go and fly the real thing and if you can't well, try and make it how you imagine/dream it would be like, thats what I do! The Alpha Hunter being a prime example for this, in my humble opinion!

Blog Entries
    Of course i see the big picture. i'm a developer.. People may or may not use my work without me being able to say a darned thing over it, and i have to be ok with that. hell, who knows, maybe they can improve on it and i'll learn something new. it doesnt make it any less intimidating., and it doesnt make it any less demoralizing. I'm just glad i dont know about it most of the time.. Sometimes it seems that people dont think flight models are important enough to pay attention too, that since they can be edited freely and at will, that its ok.. They dont think about the fact that i spent almost 4000 man hours working on the B2 vulcan ( not to mention all the others). Believe me please when i say how i understand that this capability presents a whole new paradigm into the picture, but i can understand why its done. yes, your work and my work both may end up in someone elses payware. that sux, but it could have been done from any point onward from fs2002.
    I dont have any answer for this all encompassing situation, but for this one release, all i can say is that the gentleman has been up front, honest and not pretending to be something or someone he isnt. The bottom line is that people can create any program they wish to do almost anything they wish and programs designed to extract models are legal to create and use, no matter what we may think or wish, and as long as there is honesty to the person using them, i have no complaint. Our ( the developers ) personal options are limited. we can either accept that some percentage of our work is going to be used by others; we can encode the mesh like some developers do making it impossible to use, or we can get out of the business..

Some might say whats the difference...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erting-a-Comet

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/inde...odelConverterX

Mdl material editor...

MDL Material Editor is a material editor for FS2002/FS2004/CFS2 MDL files.Lets you edit all the colours and values of the materials including the Specularity value.It is recommended that you always make a backup before editing a MDL.Works with any MDL that uses materials (including GMAX and FSDS2 models).
    Craig

Blog Entries
    Hi Craig, nice airplane. How is the Eastbourne comming along?

Members who have read this thread: 1