Bell 212 We Were Soldiers

Thread: Bell 212 We Were Soldiers

Timm

Bell 212 We Were Soldiers

Hi Guys,
    I'm sure a lot of you have seen the film "We Were Soldiers" I love the heli scene when they take off and fly out to the LZ. Well I thought hey why not try and put the 212 in a fictitious texture. Well here are some shots. OK I'm sure its not correct but I have had fun doing it. I will upload if there are any takers.Timm
    Attachment 31244Attachment 31245Attachment 31246 Attachment 31253Attachment 31254

Retired SOH Administrator
    Looks nice to me....look forward to adding it to my collection.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Last year an old guy came into the headquarters looking for a copier. He stopped at our place because we had flag poles and command vehicles and he said he "figured we were important enough to have a copier".

Anyway, we brought him into the command (he had his Vietnam Vet hat on) and showed him the copier and let him make a few copies....then a couple of us started to chat and I asked where he had served and who with...he mentioned 1st Cav and that he had been in the Battle of Ia Drang. I happen to know LTG Moore (retired) and mentioned that, and he said that yes, he was good friends with Moore even now, so many years later. I don't know who asked him his name, but it came out "Bruce Crandall". At that point a couple of us suddenly realized who we were talking to.

For those who don't know....his call sign was "Snakesh*t" (as opposed to the politically correct "snake"). He was played by Greg Kinnear in the movie, and was awarded the Medal of Honor for his activities during Ia Drang.

He just needed a couple of copies made...figured we had a copier.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Timm
    Hi TeaSea,
    Thanks for sharing that small but very interesting post on your unexpected guest "Bruce Crandall". Timm

Nice paint, but wasted on this inaccurate version.

But like i said nice job on the paint. Well done.

Cheers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbine1 View Post
    Nice paint, but wasted on this inaccurate version.

But like i said nice job on the paint. Well done.

Cheers.
    Oh, I don't know? Considering how everything in FSX is inaccurate to one degree or another, all is needed is a little imagination. I use my imagination in FSX almost every time I fly....when I imagine I can still pull seven Gs.

TeaSea, that is one cool story. I bet Bruce Crandall made you day.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Cool story!

Nice paint too!
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Nice paint. needs a guy on a pig in the door. Now you guys got me wanting to go off into head spaces i should never go again. instead, i'll just say thanks and leave it there..
    Pam

For those who don't know.....

A "Pig" is an M-60 Machine Gun.

If you have ever had to carry one, you will know why it's called a "pig".
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Cerberus
    Nice paint

2010 Grabber Blue GT
    Great Skin and Great Story. :salute:
    I understand about the M60 being a bit hefty, but if you want to carry a Pig, try lugging a 50cal around.
    Old Crow

In Memory Still

Blog Entries
    We had gun trucks. Duecenhalfs with quad fifties on the back.. i figured they must have used them for "deforestation". It was a very scary machine.. but the pig has always been a pig. i dont remember if it was 15 or 22 pounds empty. I get the numbers confused with the BAR. 50 cals are another story. Technically classified as small artillery, it takes a three man team to transport one. one guy carries the breech housing, another the barrel, abd a third the tripod.. in an ambush theres simply no time to set it up. Too many extra lives at stake.. The pig which was replaced by the SAW loaded with its 200 rounds of ammo, was ready to rock n roll immediately..
    Sorry i went OT..

2010 Grabber Blue GT
    Warchild, My Quad Units ran with 5-Ton Trucks. The only time I had a Duece was after running over a mine and blowing a set of duellies off. We re-mounted on a 2 1/2 until we could dig up another Fiver. The bad thing with a Deuce, was that we could not armour up or carry as much ammo as we were used to having. Our 5-Ton's weighed out about 20 tons gross, but the 2 1/2 could only handle around 10 tons gross. The great thing about the 5-Ton trucks, is that they were intended to carry ammo and had a much better suspension.
    As for as de-forestation.....depending on the type of ammo we were using..... we could set the forest on fire as well as cut it down. You should have seen what we could do to light armour with AP rounds. We got a bunch of old WWII anti-aircraft API ammo once and shredded a derrilict APC like Swiss Cheese and it actually caught fire and melted "due to the aluminum/magnesium skin".
    What unit were you with, if you don't mind my asking?
    Old Crow

In Memory Still

Blog Entries
    I was with the 54th signal battalion, but assigned to work with the NhaTrang perimeer defence force.. Mostly chinese nungs on the force, with me studz, and giles as the only white bread there.. The Captain that ran the thing was cuban. its said he had been a major in che gueverras army, but came to work for the us after che was assasinated.. He was a scary dude.. We had snioer fire coming in one night and I popped red so up he pulls in a gun jeep and sets his m-79 down in the passenger seat, leaving the only place for me being on the pig.. It was like frikkin outta your mind john wayne for the mnext hour as we patroled vc village trying to get the guy to shoot again.. He didnt, so i'm still here to tell about it ::lol:;..

South Chesterfield Virginia, United States
    Blog Entries
    Very nice paint, Timm. I would be honored to fly it, my friend, if you decide to upload it..

Timm
    Hi Quicksand,
    Thanks for that, been doing some touching up. Found a better patch so replaced the tail one to match the nose, and also darkened both the air intakes. Here is the finished texture I will be uploaded very shortly. Timm

Attachment 31501Attachment 31502

South Chesterfield Virginia, United States
    Blog Entries
    Great news, Timm. You did an outstanding job on this paint!

EgoR64
    :salute:

Great Paints -

Great Movie -

Great Story -

Thx Cheers !!