New SOH format
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New SOH format

Exclamation New SOH format

I'm a bit taken aback. When did this happen? Why was it necessary? Change for the sake of change? What happened to the library?

Just a few questions for our administrators... from the plebes.

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

The library is safe and sound...it is simply shut down for now while it is transferred to a new server and back in tippy toppy condition.

The change in the forum software was needed to make the site more secure against attacks, faster and more stable. This new software has features that the old software did not....it will take us all time to get used to it, but once we do, we will see that Ickie has taken us in the right direction once again.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The jury (me) is still out on the new looks, but I have to say it is growing on me.

I'm sure the results of Ickie's work will be an even greater and even easier to use site and library.

Thank you very much for all your efforts, Ickie.

Cheers,
    Maarten

Charter Member 09
    I dislike the new format very much. They should have kept the old format that old people like me finally became comfortable with. But no, they have to put something out that will take a long learning curve. I don't have the time to waste learning new things. I have a hard time remembering what I did a half hour ago.
    It's too bad that they didn't put it to a vote. It looks like another Windows Vista to me.
    The search doesn't work. I can't find my messages any more. Can't even find threads that I sent yesterday.
    I feel lost.
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Helldiver View Post
    I dislike the new format very much. They should have kept the old format that old people like me finally became comfortable with. But no, they have to put something out that will take a long learning curve. I don't have the time to waste learning new things. I have a hard time remembering what I did a half hour ago.
    It's too bad that they didn't put it to a vote. It looks like another Windows Vista to me.
    The search doesn't work. I can't find my messages any more. Can't even find threads that I sent yesterday.
    I feel lost.
    Give it time HD, Ickie has to go back with a little at a time, I am sure when all is done, it will be the same warm old SOH.

Hopefully the weather will have warmed too. Y'all snuggled up there in MA? Looks like a blanket another blanket for you. We're getting terrible winds, doubt power will last through the day here in Hoot Owl Hollow. So strong they woke me and I cannot go back to sleep.

Caz

IMHO only visuals are a bit different. So what's all the complaining about?

Cees

Fiirst, after having be suprised by the new format I finally like it.
    Visually its lighter and more relaxing than the older one.

Good work gentlemen !

VaporZ

Looking good - I like it!

I posted it in the NewsHawks, but I feel the neccessity to post it here again:

Sorry, guys:
    What's this excitement all about?
    Everything still is in place. All the signatures, avatars, PMs and all the other stuff!

Well: The buttons look different - so what?

It's our Outhouse after all!

I shared migrations and upgrades on other boards before, but I never ever experienced a board change as smooth as this one.

Thank you so much for your hard work, Ickie (and the other ones involved)!

Cheers,
    Markus.
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: War nerves? Who said war nerves?
    The Patron: I heard it on that radio there.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: Radio's wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Rome wasn't built in a day, heck it took God 6 days, I work a little slower
    Look What I Have Become!

It's growing on me, I'll adapt, at least it's still the same people here.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    Wasn't crazy about it at first, Ok if I'm honest, I didn't like it. But this morning, things are starting to look more like home. People hate change. I know I do. But I think this will end up being very familiar in the end. Keep up the great work Ickie!

Well, I can still log in; my old avatar is still there (had to re-sign for the .net part but that is OK), and I just discovered how to get to the FS2002/2004 discussion board. I can deal with this.
    (Of course a couple of days ago as I was re-registering at Sim-Outhouse.net I had a tinge of sadness thinking my old avatar would be lost forever--I don't have that screenshot anymore as it was from three or four computers ago, taken during my heady days in CFS2 with one of my first repaints dedicated to my daughter--PutPut's Lockheed Altair named 'Lady Lo'). Sorry about the rambling but I'm glad I still have my avatar.
    Cheers to Ickie and team for the upgrade:ernaeoh thank God I can still find that emoticon)

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickie View Post
    Rome wasn't built in a day, heck it took God 6 days, I work a little slower

whats that saying more haste less speed,
    you do things at your pace
    the last thing we want is you to get sick
    then where the hill would we be
    to ya
    Cheers
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post

whats that saying more haste less speed,
    you do things at your pace
    the last thing we want is you to get sick
    then where the hill would we be
    to ya
    Cheers
    H
    Amen to that!

Cees

Blog Entries
    how many times do I have to tell everyone, sim-outhouse.net is a different website just like google.com is a different website.
    the Forums at sim-outhouse.net are for the flight server to post flights, they are not the same as these forums.

Boo Hoo it took you 5 minutes to sign up, well it took me 80 hours to do the work along with my 2 teams.
    You have to be blind to not see we have the same format and structure on these forums as the other forums, nothing was lost in the transformation, so whats with all the bitching going on.

because you are a member here does not guarantee you are a member there.

I setup the other server to host our large download section and take the load off from this server. As a bonus we made it a flight server/game server for your fun, not mine, and the forums so you can post your flights.

Now is this clear and understandable??
    Look What I Have Become!

Wow! Not my intention to set off such a firestorm!

I guess my initial objection was to the sedate (wimpy?) visuals. Sudden change is usually disconcerting; that is likely the cause of the negatives in this thread. Putting myself in Ickie's shoes, "JUST DO IT. AIN'T GOT TIME FOR HAND-HOLDING." Totally understandable.

Anyhow, as someone else said, I'm adapting to the visuals.

- H52
    A tad high and a tad hot is better than a tad low and a tad slow - H52

Henry,

Thanks for explaining it to me, I am IN.........

Kofschip

I love the new look, and I want to say thank you to Ickie and anyone else who helped make it happen :salute:

Gotta say that the new format is like a restored warbird

She looks great with the new lick of paint and only a few suttle changes but deep down you know shes still got the old character still installed in her :salute:

Thanks to the outhouse crew

Matt
    Usually found in Sony Vegas creating the next FS Video and occasionally repainting for movie purposes

http://www.youtube.com/user/UKVoodooUK

Spring chicken to s***ehawk in one easy lesson

daga daga daga daga daga daga daga daga

The only difference I can find is that a few of the normal top menu items have been slightly rearranged. The colors and icon set are likely stock vBulletin items. I agree that the looks of it are a little mundane, but they don't hurt the eyes like some boards I've seen. The structure is identical to the previous software, so there shouldn't be much of anything to re-learn.

HD, look at the top-left under the new logo for the link to your PM's.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Not a critique, just an observation......

At least for me, clicking the "go to first new post" icon next to the thread title doesn't work, Just takes me to the first post in the thread. I can then click on the "go to first unread" link, and it works....

similsr to other forums I'm on, I like it, no biggie

Looks fine to me. Clean and simple. Now take some time off, let the grumblings fade, then tweak a bit and you're there.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Hey, it took me two days to be able to get in, and I'm not grumbling. I ran a BBS many moons ago, and I know how much work it is. I think Ickie has done a grand job of keeping this place up, and have only gratitude for his efforts. If he feels it necessary to change formats, I support his decision.

Remember too that this is not as simple as just running a message board, but it also involves defending that board against the hackers and crackers that prowl the net, taking great joy in destroying everything they can. How many other boards have gone away because of these internet criminals?

So let's not fret if the colors have changed, or the graphics are a bit different, or if we have to learn a few new tricks. There is a lot going on behind the scenes that we do not see, but that is absolutely vital to the continued functioning of this board.

So three cheers for Ickie, and thank you for all your efforts to keep this board functioning while at the same time keeping the barbarians outside the gates.

Hip, hip, hooray!
    Hip, hip, hooray!
    Hip, hip, hooray!!!!

Paul