Who runs on DirectX 10? - Page 4

View Poll Results: What DirectX do you run in FSX?

Voters
625. You may not vote on this poll
  • DirectX 9

466 74.56%
  • DirectX 10

159 25.44%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who runs on DirectX 10?

Quote Originally Posted by mfitch View Post
    Sometimes I turn on DX10 along with a few extra features. Usually this is off though because I use NVidia's 3D shutter glasses, and that does not work with the DX10 preview feature (along with light bloom I think).
    I've discovered this isn't the case on my system! Based on this post I didn't bother to even try DX10 with my nVidia 3D glasses... until today. What a fantastic result!! The 3D effect plus the DX10 shading makes for an unforgetable experience for me! My system specs are in my signature for those who are interested. When I first switched to DX10 the screen resolution was all wrong, but having corrected that it 3D workded just fine. I also find DX10 very smooth, which adds to my experience using TrackIR with 3D glasses.

Question:
    How can I get the optimum display settings for DX10? To start with, what DX should I be running on my OS? Should I be using nVidia Inspector for the settings, or should I use in-game? Either way, what are the best settings people know of??

Many thanks.

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Really stupid question time ..

Running XP with an Nvidia X275 card which I think is DX10 capable. I have never - ever - seen anything on the FSX UI menus to allow me to select DX10 or its "preview." Where does one find this exacly? Also, I don't recall actually downloading DirectX 10, so is that the issue?

Thanks

expat
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

DirectX10 is not available in Windows XP

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    DirectX10 is not available in Windows XP
    Yep...you'll need Vista or Win 7.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Thanks!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    it has been awhile since i used my desktopmachine if i recall,there was a reason i quitusing dx10
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Huge DX10 PReview Fan

DX10 preview mode only for me. Superior visuals, and the FPS gain on my PC is ENORMOUS!!! As much as 600%! The lowest gain is a doubling of my framerates in DX10 over DX9. I can turn the graphics, traffic, and density WAY UP in DX10. I fly small GA aircraft or helicopters, so I'm always 500 to 2,000 feet altitude. Ground scenery then is at premium for me. My A.I. Traffic programs, REX, GEX, ORBX and add-on planes are all DX10 compatible.

DX9 can't cut it at low altitude with the sliders all the way to the right. DX10 can. DX10 preview mode is amazingly superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    I see that DX10 flickering on run- and taxyways only on larger airports, those that have that yellow taxyway lines.
    [...]
    Does anyone know what a developer can do to avoid these flickering textures? Or is this a certain configuration issue in the graphics driver, that could be avoided by setting a certain parameter (different mipmapping or AA setting)?

Cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    Does anyone know what a developer can do to avoid these flickering textures? Or is this a certain configuration issue in the graphics driver, that could be avoided by setting a certain parameter (different mipmapping or AA setting)?

Cheers,
    Mark
    The link to the solution was given by Kilo Delta in another topic:

Quote Originally Posted by kilo delta View Post
    Btw..there is a "fix" for the DX10 induced runway/taxiway flickers... http://forum.avsim.net/topic/267998-...lickering-fix/
    Basically, you have to edit each airport with ADE to include a small portion of a certain type of taxiway.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Basically, you have to edit each airport with ADE to include a small portion of a certain type of taxiway.

Not necessarily. But I would love it if someone who runs DX10 could grab a screenie or two or three of what the visual problem looks like. I'm on XP and don't have a 100% idea what's being discussed with the flickering, etc. And yes, I've followed the thread at Avsim.

I don't know if there is a cure for the problem yet, mainly because I haven't got fully unpacked from a move and am working through all that's involved with that. Once I can get settled down and get into some "pondering time" addressing the flicker issue will be on the list of things to ponder. :mixedsmi:

Quote Originally Posted by Meshman View Post
    Not necessarily. But I would love it if someone who runs DX10 could grab a screenie or two or three of what the visual problem looks like. I'm on XP and don't have a 100% idea what's being discussed with the flickering, etc. And yes, I've followed the thread at Avsim.

I don't know if there is a cure for the problem yet, mainly because I haven't got fully unpacked from a move and am working through all that's involved with that. Once I can get settled down and get into some "pondering time" addressing the flicker issue will be on the list of things to ponder. :mixedsmi:
    Hard to capture a flicker in a photo. It's literally a blinking or flashing which can be quicker than an eye blink. I've seen it occasionally, perhaps at 25% of the airport runways. It doesn't really amount to much. It's not that bad, and when it happens, I barely notice. So 75% of the airports THAT I FLY OUT OF there is no flickering. Maybe this is a problem for people who prefer to always fly out of the same airport (or two) and that one coincidentally has the flicker. But I don't have a favorite airport. I'm literally all over the world. Some runways I take off from don't even have asphalt or concrete, so definitely no flicker.

It's not a big deal unless, again, it happens at the one airport you always like to take off from and you like to sit on the runway admiring the scenery for an hour. And if it happens constantly, I suppose it could bug you a bit. Again, I see it only 1 out of 4 takeoffs (and maybe not that often), but I'm always taking off from different airports around the world. And once I take off, well...there is no flicker.

Members who have read this thread: 1