WWII Static Aircraft for FSX

Thread: WWII Static Aircraft for FSX

WWII Static Aircraft for FSX

The question about WWII Airfields reminded me - does anyone know of a source of static WWII aircraft models for FSX ? I know you can place flyable models on your airfield using various tools, but more than one or two can really hit the frame rates.

Ideally I'm looking for classic British a/c -

Spitfire/Hurricane/ Lancaster/Wellington/Halifax etc

Thanks

Didn't quite escape.
    I know of one Hurricane model, which might or might not have ended up in the Tangmere scenery that came with FSAddon's Lysander package (I can't remember whether Jaap included it in the end - I'll have to check). We got that via Chuck Jodry, but whether he actually modelled it I can't say.

Chuck? You here?

Central reservation of the M62 in God's Own County.
    Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    The question about WWII Airfields reminded me - does anyone know of a source of static WWII aircraft models for FSX ? I know you can place flyable models on your airfield using various tools, but more than one or two can really hit the frame rates.

Ideally I'm looking for classic British a/c -

Spitfire/Hurricane/ Lancaster/Wellington/Halifax etc

Thanks
    Many of the early FS9 models will work as statics when converted with MDL2BGL. IIR even **.af textures will also work in FSX. Any that use bitmaps it's simply a matter of converting them to **.dds using a batch file ( just speads things up a tad.)
    I have a WWII Scampton c.May '43 waiting to be released and I did consider that method for static 617 Lancs since an AI wasn't forthcomming. But 19 of 'em might be too much. The CPU would chuck in the towel

PS. The Alphasim Wellington works fine as an AI. A freeware traffic file was released by Bob Baum and Frank Safranek ( Team SDB colleagues) for FCS Driffield which utilises 11 with acceptable frame rates.
    MickeyD

Thanks guys - that's all very useful. Funnily enough I'd been considering the Lysander package. I don't see any mention of static Hurri's in the write-up, but Tangmere would be useful addition to my airfields.

Good news on the '43 Scampton Mickey. I'll be first in line for that one. Grass runway I hope. And at least a few Lancs scattered around !

I'll follow up on mdl2bgl too. That might be a good solution for me. I have FS9 models of most of the a/c I need.

Didn't quite escape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey D View Post
    A freeware traffic file was released by Bob Baum and Frank Safranek ( Team SDB colleagues) for FCS Driffield which utilises 11 with acceptable frame rates.
    Now if you could get them to recompile it with radial rather than Merlin powered Wimpeys? :d

Quote Originally Posted by IanP View Post
    Now if you could get them to recompile it with radial rather than Merlin powered Wimpeys? :d
    Hear hear ! Wellingtons don't look right without radials - just as Lancs don't look right with 'em !

Grass runways of course. Scampton didn't get hard runways until after 617 moved to Coningsby. Around Sept '43?

Now who will do an AI Upkeep Lanc?

Attachment 30946
    MickeyD

That's right - the hard runways weren't in place until Summer 1944. And nowhere near as long as the present day strip.

Looks good. Any idea when this will be released ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey D View Post
    Now who will do an AI Upkeep Lanc?
    Have you tried the Plane Design Lanc ? The FS9 model flies very well in FSX once you've fixed the prop disk, although I admit I haven't tried it as AI. I know Ed has a FSX version in development, but not sure of the status.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    That's right - the hard runways weren't in place until Summer 1944. And nowhere near as long as the present day strip.

Looks good. Any idea when this will be released ?
    Last I looked there was the fence to put in and bowsers and stuff and the bomb dump needs updating.. Undecided on an FS9 version. Bit hard to say when as I'm trying to finish one that I think will be well received across the pond. A good AI Lanc would swing it for me . It wouldn't need to be FSX native, in fact far better for FS9 as it'll work OK in FSX too.
    MickeyD