The Who at SB ... Oh my God!

Thread: The Who at SB ... Oh my God!

Ken Stallings

The Who at SB ... Oh my God!

I should go find a photo of John Hillerman strikiing his best Higgins pose ... listening to The Who at the Super Bowl halftime and I'm thinking, "Oh my God!"

John Entwhistle was such an amazing bass player. And a good bass player is the glue that holds a band together on stage. He and the drummer are responsible for the timing of the song. And with John, he was so precise it gave the band a tight performance even as Pete Townsend would freelance.

Now, without that rock on stage, the band sounds terrible!

Ken

Not to be confused with "The Guess Who"....

I would rather listen to an elderly and out of tune Who than Brittney Spears, Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson, Celine Deon, Whitney Houston, and Ja Rule all rolled into one.

And what was up with the way Queen Latifa turned America the Beautiful into a sad parody of that beautiful song? Don't mess with our songs of patriotism and national pride. If you want to sing hip hop/soul/R&B...sing some Smokey Robinson...not John Phillips Sousa...well JPS didn't sing per se...but you get my drift.

Did you catch the RAF insignia scheme on the cymbals on the Who's drummer's drum?

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

redriver6
    i dunno...i kinda liked it.

SOH-CM-2024
    Sucked, see my reply to Snuffy's half-time warm-up post.

caz

i like her, i think she's an interesting celebrity, but she's not a singer.

I like the Guess Who. i have to agree that America the Beautiful was really done a disservice.
    Ray Charles did an awesome rendition of it.
    Jamie

Blog Entries
    I thought Carrie Underwood did a nice job with the National Anthem. No wonder she has won so many Grammys.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Blog Entries
    Was peter Townsend the old man on the stage jumping around like a kid? I liked his hat.

As you can tell, I never was into the Who.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

harleyman
    YUP townsend is the guitar player..

daultry is the singer

I thought for guys in their 60's they did a good job...You must remember..The Who was started as a joke band...They never were that smooth or together IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stallings View Post
    John Entwhistle was such an amazing bass player. And a good bass player is the glue that holds a band together on stage. He and the drummer are responsible for the timing of the song. And with John, he was so precise it gave the band a tight performance even as Pete Townsend would freelance.
    I once had the pleasure of spending 30 minutes chatting one-on-one with John Entwhistle and as we were parting he was the first to offer his hand for a handshake! A truly great and down to earth good guy, may he RIP.

Now, without that rock on stage, the band sounds terrible!
    I couldn't agree more.
    Larry

Ken Stallings
    Wow! 30 minutes with him. What a treat!

I'm quite envious truth be told!

Ken

Wow! 30 minutes with him. What a treat!

I'm quite envious truth be told!

Ken
    It was back in the late 80's at a music expo in London, England. At the time I was working as a recording studio engineer and teaching sound recording techniques at a local College and we had taken a bunch of students down to the show.

Everyone had gone their separate ways once we were inside the building and I had wandered off to look at a stand for a major bass string manufacturer (I am a bass player too). On display in a glass case was a beautiful eagle shaped bass guitar and I was quietly drooling over it when John walked up to me and started chatting. I must admit I didn't twig straight away who he was as he was just wearing jeans and a T-shirt like everyone else there. But after a few minutes chatting I suddenly realized who I was talking too and the hairs literally stood up on the back of my neck! It turned out that the bass was John's and he'd come over to see what I thought of it.

It was one of the highlights of my musical career and a memory I still cherish to this day. He was completely down to earth with not a single shred of ego or better-than-thou attitude. It was a very humbling experience to say the least.
    Larry

Happiness Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    I would rather listen to an elderly and out of tune Who than Brittney Spears, Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson, Celine Deon, Whitney Houston, and Ja Rule all rolled into one.

OBIO
    BINGO! Plus ONE!

I think Carrie did a great job on the national anthem ... and yeah I gotta ask what was up with Latifa?

About the drummer's cymbols, all I can say is they had to be expensive, dyed on both sides with the UK roundel. Which by the way I thought entirely appropriate, I mean after all they are Brittons.

Frankly though, I would have rather seen a good American rock group as was mentioned somewheres else ...
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

The first concert I ever attended was a The Who reunion tour. I was 18 or 19, I am now 38. It's amazing that they are still going.

Not nockin' The Who but even as a Canadian I thought it odd that it was not an American band up there.
    "The important thing in aeroplanes is that they shall be speedy." Manfred von Richthofen

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i have been a fan of the who since the 60's
    i thought they sucked
    H
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Members who have read this thread: 0