The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Any detail on why the server was too busy today around noon Pacific Time?

Just came back from taking my wife to the Cancer Clinic and couldn't get into the forums for 20 minutes (11:56 am to 12:10 pm) which was unusual. I know that server and software updates sometimes cause this, but mid-day seems unusual unless it's some kind of denial-of-service attack. Just wondering.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Odd! I was on at that time with no problems noted on the site. Just like now....12:57 PM Pacific time.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

PRB sent me a text message a couple of days ago that the website was down. We couldn't even access the control panel to see what it was doing. I opened a ticket with the datacenter but before they could look at it the server magically became active. Looking at the logs the system was running, it was just getting hit hard with downloads from the library to the point it could no longer function.

That is not the first time that has happened and it is the reason I had to slow down the download speeds for everyone.

Three times today we have been hit with High Server loads outside the normal maintenance window.

The logs are not conclusive on what caused those ones.

There is a range of IP Addresses I have to block in the firewall every so often because someone is using them to index the site. That in of its self would not be a bad thing if they didn't use over a 1000 IP Addresses to do it. When that happens they bring the server to its knees. I just blocked them again lets see if that helps. Prior to blocking it we were only showing 200+ guests on the forum. Normally if it is them I see 1000s of guests.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    Looking at the logs the system was running, it was just getting hit hard with downloads from the library to the point it could no longer function.
    That sounds a bit too much like bots to me. I haven't been to the library here in years (literally), but if you don't have it already, I'd suggest implementing a reCAPTCHA filter to keep at least some of them out. If that's possible...
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

For me this morning, either I could not even connect or I got the too busy message from 05:35 to 05:50 EDT. 199 users online at 05:55, 156 of them were guests.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Here we go again...

I pop in and out of the forum throughout the day to see what's new, added comments on posts, and possibly new downloads. About fifteen minutes ago, 11:15 am Pacific Time, I could not get into the forums. The first couple of tries just locked up, eventually giving me a message that the connection was dropped?? Eventually I got the "server is too busy" message. It took well over fifteen minutes to finally get in and post this message.

Is there some kind of bot or downloads that's occurring this time? This is occurring all too frequently.
    -- WH

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Here we go again...

I pop in and out of the forum throughout the day to see what's new, added comments on posts, and possibly new downloads. About fifteen minutes ago, 11:15 am Pacific Time, I could not get into the forums. The first couple of tries just locked up, eventually giving me a message that the connection was dropped?? Eventually I got the "server is too busy" message. It took well over fifteen minutes to finally get in and post this message.
    Is there some kind of bot or downloads that's occurring this time? This is occurring all too frequently.
    See post above from Dangerousdave26.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    See post above from Dangerousdave26.
    I saw it. He mentioned that he was going to block some IP addresses that seem suspicious. I am assuming he may not know if the changes were effective unless we report ongoing problems.

From my perspective there seems to be a possible trend in that I have difficulty accessing the site during the middle of the day. Because I cannot access the site, I cannot tell how my users (and guests) are active.
    -- WH