Star Trek TOS remastered

Thread: Star Trek TOS remastered

Star Trek TOS remastered

For those of you who enjoyed ST TOS, CBS has the digitally remastered episodes available for viewing. Obviously best to have a high speed connection with the ability to display in HD. I believe the remastered episodes are available on HD DVD (now dead) and possibly Blu-Ray. If you're a fan, take the time to watch a couple of your favorites. While the story lines and acting is still original (and rather dated), the effects are computer enhanced, to include CGI ships and backgrounds. Fun stuff!

http://www.cbs.com/hd/?show=star_trek_remastered

Dave

PS: I've found a couple episodes don't display, and the audio clicks. Most work just fine though. Also, seems Firefox does a better job of streaming the episodes vs. IE.
    Cheers,
    Dave

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Thanks Dave for the heads up.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

After posting I noticed that many of the episodes are unfortunately no longer available for viewing.

Dave
    Cheers,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKDEN View Post
    I believe the remastered episodes are available on HD DVD (now dead) and possibly Blu-Ray.
    Yes they are available on blu-ray. I have the first two seasons and am, eagerly, awaiting the release of the third. The PQ is amazing. Much better than has been seen before, better even than the original broadcast.

I like the fact that you are given the option to watch with, or without, the original effects shots. To be honest though once you've seen the new shots you probably won't watch the original version's again, except for curiosity's sake. This video will give you an idea of some of the changes.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jb1mTPC1nQ8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jb1mTPC1nQ8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'

I'm sorry, but I think the remastering has destroyed the originality of the tv series. Yes, the original special effects are cheesy by today's standards, but the original series was not made today, it is vintage and very original science fiction. I would prefer that studios leave the originals as they are, just clean up noise and distortions, but leave the effects and scenes the way they were when filmed.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    I'm sorry, but I think the remastering has destroyed the originality of the tv series.
    That's what's so good about these releases. Viewer's have the choice. Fan's can still watch the series in hi-def with the original effects, should they wish to. My personal preference is to watch the show with the remastered effects and the original mono soundtrack.
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"

That's nice that you have a choice. By the way, the CBS site is up again.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I don't mind the the remastered effects. No negative waves, baby, I'm jus' sayin'...

It's not like when "Jorge" remastered Star Wars and just threw extra stuff at you.
    The remastered effects in Star Trek really honor the original intent of the episode.

"The Doomsday Machine" is a great example.
    Before the USS Constitution was obviously a store bought model kit. The "Demon" looked, well we know what it looked like.
    Now with the remastered effects, I found it suddenly more dramatic and Matt Decker's sacrifice actually seemed to matter...

And frankly "The Old Girl" really never has looked better.
    Some of the Enterprise shots are really well done.
    Anyway I liked it.

Just my two cents...
    It's Saturday. I'm kicking back, enjoying the rays...
    "No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often." - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt

The episode that I thought was really cool to finally see was the restored version of "The Cage" with Jeffery Hunter as Christopher Pike, and Majel Barrett as "Number One". You also get to see an oddly emotional Mr. Spock. He shouts orders on the bridge, exhibits alarm in the transporter room, and smiles on an away mission in a field of alien flowers. I've seen it twice on tv and have a copy on VHS, but I don't see it on the CBS site, and haven't been able to find it on iTunes. Is it on the the new DVD/BlueRay release?

JAMES
    "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

I am curious, does CBS also own the rights to the other spinoffs such as TNG, DS9...etc, or do they just own the rights to the original series? It would be great to eventually watch the entire series online but I imagine the powers that be will continue to follow a Ferengi example and gouge trekkies for dvd sets and such.

As far as the remastered series, I don't mind it at all, they didnt add fins to the enterprise or make it do barrel rolls or anything.

Cheers
    TJ
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Eoraptor1 View Post
    Is it on the the new DVD/BlueRay release?
    Yes it is. The highlights of the season 3 set are:

• The Cage
    • The Cage (Extended Version)
    • Where No Man Has Gone Before (The Unaired Alternate Version of the Pilot)

Quote Originally Posted by arrowmaker View Post
    Yes it is. The highlights of the season 3 set are:

• The Cage
    • The Cage (Extended Version)
    • Where No Man Has Gone Before (The Unaired Alternate Version of the Pilot)
    Thank you, arrowmaker. When I was a little boy, my mother bought me a collection of Star Trek lectures on LP as a Christmas present, which I still have. Gene Roddenberry talks about the Original pilot. The bosses found it "too cereberal". They didn't like the number of women of on the Enterprise, because "people would think there was a lot of 'fooling around' up there". They didn't think audiences would buy a woman character with command authority, so Majel Barrett's "Number One" was deleted. (She was also the original "emotionless, ultra-rational" character, characteristics transferred to Mr. Spock.) Almost as an afterthought, they recommended that Roddenberry "get rid of the guy with the ears".

JAMES

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

Wow!!!! I think they did a really good job with the new effects. I had to watch the Ultimate Computer and the Doomsday Machine nice exterior views. No Balance of Terror though

Time for Assignment: Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Good_2_Be View Post
    Wow!!!! I think they did a really good job with the new effects. I had to watch the Ultimate Computer and the Doomsday Machine nice exterior views. No Balance of Terror though

Time for Assignment: Earth
    "Balance of Terror" is available on iTunes if you don't want to buy the whole set on disc. "The Enterprise Incident" is also very cool. Instead of three D7s there are two, plus an enchanced warbird with the raptor painted on its underside. I am such a NERD!!!!

JAMES

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)