CFS 3 Upgrade to 3.1

Thread: CFS 3 Upgrade to 3.1

ghewit

CFS 3 Upgrade to 3.1

I've recently installed my venerable CFS 3 onto my Vista computer and with the help of this site, got my joystick working with it. However when I try to update to 3.1, I get a dialogue box that says

Patch Warning
    ---------------------------
    CFS3 is not installed or not installed correctly on this computer.
    Unable to complete patch

I've tried putting CFS 3 into its default location to no avail. Anyone got any ideas?

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Must be a path issue

The auto installer is looking for a default location that is different in Vista as compared to Xp. You need to locate where cfs is installed in Vista and redirect the 3.1 and 3.1a to that location.

and also...

If you "No-CD Crack Patched" CFS3 prior to the update, it won't install it.

If that is the case, cleanly uninstall CFS3, including the other residual folders it creates elsewheres (see guides online if unaware of them) and then reinstall it again. Then 3.1 and 3.1a should not be a problem.

It is best to keep that version (updated to 3.1a & NOT cracked) as it is with no modifications if you intend on installing the various add-ons that are most popular online, such as MAW, KS, PTO, and ETO as they use that version as a base to build their heirarchies upon and mods will more than likely cause conflicts with auto-installers and/or playability issues.

There are guides and tools around on the internet in how to achieve multiple copies of CFS3 but it's case and user experience level specific and I don't want to fly you into the dirt here, so make your own assessment.

No-CD cracks are historically taboo and somewhat illegal to distribute as far as I know, and as such this information is offered as a NOTAM in what to do "if" that could be your problem, please do not ask members to link to a source for one, and if you do use one it is at your own peril because they oftentimes will include little gifts that keep on giving...in a bad way.

Good Luck and Long May You Fly ~S~

ghewit

Patch Problems

Thanks for thast however the CFS 3 is a new clean installation and the patch gives no opportunity to change the target folder.

I thought that the patch would need to pick up a target from the Registry however a search found nothing of note.

Members who have read this thread: 2