ATI help needed - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATI help needed

Blog Entries
    Guzler I don't know why the info page is reading 128 bit unless the card is defective. There never was a 128 bit HD5850, but as I said the tearing only occurs at less than 4096 texture max. ATI knows it but it was not worth the fix for just one game. They did try a software fix that made things worse-so I switched back to Nvidia but they have intermittent driver issues-however I have never had the tearing effect when using nHancer properly! ATI is a better card in many respects though such as color and clarity. However even that is subject to the eyes of the beholder! So enjoy your ATI HD5850, it is a great card
    Ted

Hey Guzler are you using a notebook with the HD5850 mobility by Radeon that is 128 bit, however you may still use the 4096 texture max and get good results. ATI did make a mobility chip with 128 for onboard video
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    Guzler I don't know why the info page is reading 128 bit unless the card is defective. There never was a 128 bit HD5850, but as I said the tearing only occurs at less than 4096 texture max. ATI knows it but it was not worth the fix for just one game. They did try a software fix that made things worse-so I switched back to Nvidia but they have intermittent driver issues-however I have never had the tearing effect when using nHancer properly! ATI is a better card in many respects though such as color and clarity. However even that is subject to the eyes of the beholder! So enjoy your ATI HD5850, it is a great card
    Ted

Hey Guzler are you using a notebook with the HD5850 mobility by Radeon that is 128 bit, however you may still use the 4096 texture max and get good results. ATI did make a mobility chip with 128 for onboard video
    Are you refering to vSync related tearing? Are you saying you don't get that with nVidia? In Vista/Win7? And if not, that's because you are forcing via nHancer? Or does it just work.

ATI Tray Tools and D3DOverrider can force vSync as well in Vista/Win7. ATI Tray Tools does it via a game profile where you "enable" the Vista vSync workaround. D3DOverrider has the simular "vSync Workaround" for Vista. You get it with Rivatuner.

If you don't need a 3rd party tool to force vSync with nVidia in Win7 in FSX, I will swap out to an nVidia card right now. I love my 4870 but I spend all my free computer time in FSX these days.

PS - If you are forcing vSync with nHancer (just like ATI Tray Tools), what happens when you open ATC? I get a split second screen flash every time and it annoys the heck out of me.

Please advise.

Charles.

Hi Ted,

Am I reading the right thing then ?

Here is a review of the card and it states on it...

"Up To 128GB/sec of memory bandwidth"

http://hothardware.com/Articles/AMD-...rmance-Review/

I'm using a desktop PC Ted. apart from the slight tearing, I do like the card, it's limitations do show through differently than the NVidia cards I have been used to, but tweeking and fiddling is helping me to understand how to get the most out of it. The colours are very vibrant, although how much of that is the card and how much the monitor, I don't know.

Cheers

Neil

harleyman
    The colors are all ATI..

Yea..That post above may be your ticket..i never messed with those apps much, as I never needed them..but they can force V Sync ...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by guzler View Post
    Hi Ted,

Am I reading the right thing then ?

Here is a review of the card and it states on it...

"Up To 128GB/sec of memory bandwidth"

http://hothardware.com/Articles/AMD-...rmance-Review/

I'm using a desktop PC Ted. apart from the slight tearing, I do like the card, it's limitations do show through differently than the NVidia cards I have been used to, but tweeking and fiddling is helping me to understand how to get the most out of it. The colours are very vibrant, although how much of that is the card and how much the monitor, I don't know.

Cheers

Neil
    What you are referring to is 128GB/s bandwidth speed not interface. All HD5850s except for ATI Radeon Mobility are 256bit interface
    Ted

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cvearl View Post
    Are you refering to vSync related tearing? Are you saying you don't get that with nVidia? In Vista/Win7? And if not, that's because you are forcing via nHancer? Or does it just work.

ATI Tray Tools and D3DOverrider can force vSync as well in Vista/Win7. ATI Tray Tools does it via a game profile where you "enable" the Vista vSync workaround. D3DOverrider has the simular "vSync Workaround" for Vista. You get it with Rivatuner.

If you don't need a 3rd party tool to force vSync with nVidia in Win7 in FSX, I will swap out to an nVidia card right now. I love my 4870 but I spend all my free computer time in FSX these days.

PS - If you are forcing vSync with nHancer (just like ATI Tray Tools), what happens when you open ATC? I get a split second screen flash every time and it annoys the heck out of me.

Please advise.

Charles.
    With nHancer loaded I do not have VSync tearing in the VCs of the aircraft either on my system or test systems we use at TechCorp. We use GTX260, GTX 275, and GTX 285 video cards for our testing. If we test ATI we use 256 bit interface cards only which cover the HD4850, Hd4870, HD5850 and HD5870 the 128 bit HD5750 was a big disappointment for gaming considering the costs. But every one of our ATI cards have some VC Vsync tearing and ATI has never fixed it for FSX or FS9.
    Ted

With nHancer loaded I do not have VSync tearing in the VCs of the aircraft either on my system or test systems we use at TechCorp. We use GTX260, GTX 275, and GTX 285 video cards for our testing. If we test ATI we use 256 bit interface cards only which cover the HD4850, Hd4870, HD5850 and HD5870 the 128 bit HD5750 was a big disappointment for gaming considering the costs. But every one of our ATI cards have some VC Vsync tearing and ATI has never fixed it for FSX or FS9.
    Ted
    Well 5750 is really kind of a budget card (~$150) that, at least around where I live, is priced against the GTS250 which it trades blows with in games regardless of memory bandwidth. Thankfully the rest of the family is 256bit past that point.

In WinXP, vSync force works in the ATI CCC Control Pannel for FSX and FS9. However in Vista/Win7 it does not. At least not without a 3rd part app simular to Nhancer. There is ATI tray tools for forcing vSync in Vista and Win7. I am testing the 10.3 drivers tonight I think though. Hopefully the CCC can force it now. But I doubt it.

So ultimately, when you open ATC on nVidia cards with vSync forced, you don't get the screen flash or blink? With ATI on Vista this only happens with vsync forced. This flash doe snot happen in XP thankfully.

I have to find an nVidia system to test this on (ATC window open and close) or grab an eval one of my own. If you can force vSync on Win7 64 without any screen flash in ATC window I will switch as I said. I really want 64bit for it's benefits to FSX.

Thanks for the info. :salute:

C.

What you are referring to is 128GB/s bandwidth speed not interface. All HD5850s except for ATI Radeon Mobility are 256bit interface
    Ted
    I see, another thing I have learnt today, my brain needs a rest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

let me chime in my ati problem (well not really, had it on nvidia as well)

ive changed gfx card to 5850 from an 8800 gtx which died.

the sim runs smoother now (almost no micros stutters , that plagued me before in tongass) ,
    but some of the addons make my fps drop , some more some less . the addons are :

Carenado 185
    Captain Sim 130
    Iris PC 9

the Iris PC 9 is the worst ( going from a smooth 27 to 17 ) , the thing is that ive had the same problem with the 8800 gtx , driver try and error helped with that , but i could never get the driver which gave good fps totally stutter free . With ati, i dont have that many driver choices .

im running all this on a i7 oc to 4.2 , 6gb cl7 ram. xp64

did any one experience anything similar ? i read somewhere that it could be the reflections in the cockpit and the alpha channel , but i dont know how to fix that . the only other thing i could think of is to reinstall windows , which i didnt do when i swapped cards, just uninstall drivers and safe mode driver sweeper.

any help will be appreciated . tnx !!

harleyman
    Those addons are a bit hard on most systems..but Yea, it might have something to do with what you said.

maybe check with theor support sight and see what others are doing to fix that problem..

I see no need to reinstall windows... Its not a window problem I think...

You have plenty of CPU thats for sure. i would suspect the add ons...

as i said, must be a driver problem, had the same issue with nvidias, only one driver worked .

found one more addons where this is exhibited : the 1.5 version of the duke

I've got the CS 130 and mine runs fine, I7 920 2.66Mhz. I've used two drivers for the 5850 and not really noticed any differences between them. Can't comment on the others as I don't have them. Computers are just like women !!!!

which drivers did you use and which os ?

EgoR64
    Hi,

I moved to an ATI 4890 other than the fan noise which Goes away after it warms up this card does a really good job with FSX, My FSX Happy was a Simple increase in the TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=140 - 180.

Dunno why, but FSX was Smoother after the change -

Cheers -

Quote Originally Posted by atf300 View Post
    which drivers did you use and which os ?
    Driver 8.69 currently and Win7 64bit