Ford Pinto.....Ford's first flying car.

Thread: Ford Pinto.....Ford's first flying car.

Ford Pinto.....Ford's first flying car.

At least I think it was Ford's first flying car...although it had a few mods.

Here's how I got it airborne:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJPY0...eature=channel

DPS.

Charter Member 2015
    :d

Reminds me of the Top Gear episode when they killed The Stig!
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Wing Nut
    I had a Greyhound bus that would fly in FS9. Didn't make any mods at all. Flew lilke crap but could turn and maintain altitude.

harleyman
    EKKKKKK A flying Pinto....

That was great...Till splash down.....

Wasn't the Pinto known for burning rather than flying?

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    OMG, I drove one of those things for several years. 1972 model. It had the back right corner smashed in. Had a few "hot" dates in the ol' thing as well.

Wasn't the Pinto known for burning rather than flying?...
    I remember the last day I had with that ol' P.O.S. It was a cold day down here in Dixie and I drove it over to local Woolco Store to get some oil, filter, carburator cleaner, etc; on returning home it began to sputter and hesitate..I let it know who was boss, I... $%&##@* ... it, floored the gas pedal and it belched blue smoke out the tailpipe. I pulled it over to the curb, raised the hood and fiddled around with it... couldn't get it to start up. I walked to a house on the corner of the block, knocked on the door. The old lady was fearful I guess and did not let me in to use her phone nor did she call a service truck for me. I went to the next house, and the man there told me to get the hell off his front porch. Well, the 3rd. house was more trusting and let me in to call for a towing service truck and I called my brother to come and give me a ride back home.
    As I walked back to the P.O.S. Pinto I saw black smoke over the 1st. house's roof top... yep, it was fully engulfed in flames. I took off my coat to beat out the flames, which caught my coat on fire! Then about 1-2 minutes later a guy comes by in a pick up truck and he had a fire extinguisher with him. It of course was not enough to suppress the fire. As the fire got into the passenger compartment and the heat cracked the windshield a firetruck arrived and extinguised the fire.
    Now there I was in Cold Old Dixie with no coat to keep warm, nor a good fire ! My brother got there about an hour later.

Now here's a few acronyms for FORD for all you young pups out there...

Fix Or Repair Daily
    Found On Roadside Dead
    Parts Found On Rebiult Dodge
    F#cker Only Runs Downhill

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    My U-Boots in Operation Valkyrie were not supposed to fly. If you could peak them out at top speed, every once in a while, they did...

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

I didn't know that a Pinto sounds exactly like the mustang in Bullitt?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I took my first driving test in a Pinto. Wasn't my car, but I actually liked that car...
    First
    On
    Race
    Day
    Not that I could ever race anyone with it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Piglet Conrad
    Piglet's Peculiar Planes
    "Ahhh... the freedom of freeware!"
    First Rule of Aviation:
    Don't piss off your mechanic.

Not that I was ever a passenger in a Pinto which was doing 100 mph on bias ply tires listening to the Best of B.T.O. on an 8 Track at maximum distorted volume going the wrong way on Washington SR-14 (yes, if this had happened underage alcohol consumption would have been involved,) at 3 AM. If this had happened I would still be able to remember the boat-like rolling of the mis-inflated cheap tires, or sensing the proximity of that famous Pinto gas tank--if this had happened, I would have been in the back seat--or the heavy unbolted stereo speaker cabinets, which were apt to decapitate anybody who was unfortunate enough to be in the Pinto. I'm glad none of that ever happened. I would have been lucky to have survived! :-)

i learned to drive in a pinto wagon. the one with the wood applique sides

years later a buddy of mine wrecked the back half of his worked xr-7 with a 351 cleveland. just for kicks he put the motor in a pinto a neighbor had in the yard. when he finished it, he fired it up, stomped the gas, and bent the frame.

****thinkin back, it may not have been the cleveland, mighta been a windsor. it's been a long looong time

The video of the flying Pinto reminded me of this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0jRV3j6qiY

This is the original flying Pinto flying before the crash.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzv4q5EEy1k
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case
    Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio Card
    Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155
    Intel I-5 Ivy Bridge 4.5 GHZ OC
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Antec 750 Bronze power supply

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

Wn 7 64 bit on 500gb Raptor drive
    2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker
    Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

Thanks for the fun videos everyone. This makes for a nice light moment in the middle of my workday.

I remember seeing a FOR SALE ad in the paper that read:

For Sale: One Ford Pinto with exploding gas tank and self-destructiong Firestone radial tires. Make Offer.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

I remember driving a brand new (rented) '72 Pinto on I-95 (northern Virginia), on the way to visit a cousin, and being passed by everyone - except that I actually passed another car - a Subaru 360!
    Felix/FFDS

Quote Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
    [...]
    Hahaha, awesome! :d

Also:
    [YOUTUBE]dT0J0rcJTLo[/YOUTUBE]

Quote Originally Posted by FelixFFDS View Post
    I remember driving a brand new (rented) '72 Pinto on I-95 (northern Virginia), on the way to visit a cousin, and being passed by everyone - except that I actually passed another car - a Subaru 360!
    Oh I know that feeling too well.

Hessian "mountains", me in a 55hp Nissan Micra with a bicycle strapped to the rear and loaded with camping things slowly making my way to the top and getting passed by an effin' truck.

I ever wonder how it made it to 160 on a flat piece of autobahn with five people inside without falling apart...

I can see I'll need to add some fire ball effects to this model.

I just used some easily available sound files for the video, hence the muscle car noises. I don't think a V8 would have fitted under the Pinto's hood.

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post

Hessian "mountains", me in a 55hp Nissan Micra with a bicycle strapped to the rear and loaded with camping things slowly making my way to the top and getting passed by an effin' truck.
    BLISS!

Try ~40hp in a 1200cc VW Beetle,6 burly blokes,a bunch of camping equipment and enough booze to fill a swimming pool ....all enroute to a weekend music festival! I could have swapped the speedometer for a calendar!:isadizzy:
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by kilo delta View Post
    BLISS!

Try ~40hp in a 1200cc VW Beetle,6 burly blokes,a bunch of camping equipment and enough booze to fill a swimming pool ....all enroute to a weekend music festival! I could have swapped the speedometer for a calendar!:isadizzy:
    How the heck do six people plus booze plus equipment fit into a 1303?