100 plane limit? Not for me...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 plane limit? Not for me...

100 plane limit? Not for me...

I rebuilt my CFS2 installed and noticed that my new plane cap is now 55 planes. Not the its a huge bother, but I didn't think the plane limit could change in amount.
    Take my love, take my land / Take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free / You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black / Tell 'em I ain't comin' back.

Burn the land and boil the sea / You can't take the sky from me...

The 100 Plane Limit is kind of a misleading name....not sure what it should be called...but it is not totally based on the number of planes in your install, but is also influenced by the number of ships, weapons objects, infrastructure items, yada yada yada. I could get close to 100 planes into my installs before I began getting the dreaded errors...but then I don't add ships, don't add infrastructure, use only one or two weapons packs for all my planes. Someone who adds ships, buildings, warfs, etc may see their sim limiting out on 50 planes, 30 planes even.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Huh...

Maybe thats why I was getting all the CTD and the odd texture quirks I was getting with my last CFS2 install.

being limited to 55 planes at any one time isn't a pain though. have to love ACman.
    Take my love, take my land / Take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free / You can't take the sky from me.

Yo Wulf190

In addition to what Obi has said:

Don't just count the number of folders in the main "AIRCRAFT" folder.

Each skin on every plane counts toward the 100 (90?) plane limit.

I bet you have 55 folders in AIRCRAFT, but many have more than one skin.

This is the major reason I prefer multiple installs as when I hit that magic number either in planes or objects .... it's time to make another one - I have 2 PTO's .... PHP2 will probably finish filling the second install; so soon it will be time to make a 3rd PTO.

Also: separate installs are smaller and thus easier to back-up and reload in case one gets corrupted.

Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

Nope, every aircraft folder has just one skin, so my cap is 55 planes.

Members +
    Hi All,

OK, I find this whole 100 plane limit thing a bit weird. I've never seen it before and I've had hundreds of library objects and planes installed. What does the warning message say? Because surely there's a way around it.

Cheers
    Lindsay

My limit has always been around 85 planes, give or take a few. I think that's because I have a lot of ships and vehicles in my installations too. It's been that way ever since my computer was a 500 meg-Windows 98 machine. My current PC at home for CFS 2 is a quad core, 2 1/2 gig job with XP and it's still about the same, so I think it must be a CFS 2 engine limit.

Sander de Cocq posted a work around to the problem a while back. It should be under his name in the library.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

I dunno why my plane limit changed. Before I reformatted I could go all the way to 100. But this reformat I had kept key file folders, all of my aircraft, scenery, sounds, effect, GSL, and objects, intact so that all I would pretty much have to do is install CFS2 stock then drop these files inplace and fire up CFS2.

It work pretty much like that but could it be since I installed everything at once rather then gradually building up, I wasn't able to fake out the CFS2 engine? I dunno...

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf190 View Post
    but could it be since I installed everything at once rather then gradually building up, I wasn't able to fake out the CFS2 engine? I dunno...
    Ah HA! ... I knew there was more to this ...

This is most likely the cause of your problem. Generally you don't wanna install too much at any one time. CFS2 just seems to get confused .... after all ... she is a SENIOR sim!

Maybe add 3 planes or a base or two at a time, then reboot the sim; test the new stuff ... add some more etc.

Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

Landscape Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagdflieger View Post
    Sander de Cocq posted a work around to the problem a while back. It should be under his name in the library.

cfs2Overload_patch_v1
    "This patch eliminates most of the error messages you receive when you've installed more than 100 planes in CFS2. "
    by Redwulf_53 aka Sander de Cocq

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.ph...me=Redwulf__53

JP :salute:

I've been playing around with new installs of CFS2.

I was curious to understand why in my original I could go as high as 100-99 planes, yet in my last most recent install I could only have 59.

I originally backed up all of my modified folders, (aircraft, GSL, textures, and scenerydb) and what I had done was simply dump all the fines in to CFS2 at once. This was the wrong thing to do, as it resulted in a reduced active plane library.

I have done some reading on the web, and in these forums and its generally accepted that the 100 plane limit is a function of the CFS2 engine (specifically the mission building). But there seems to be vagueness as to what really causes the limitation. Some believe it is a combination of the number of aircraft, ships, and objects. Others state its only dealing with the number of ships and planes, and I have also read examples in dealing with the number of scenery.cfg items and planes.

So I went back through and did a systematic install. First (after installing and running CFS2 stock once) all of the planes I have (424) were installed and then I installed ACman and reduced the number of active aircraft to 100. I then started CFS2 and tried to do FF with stock scenery, objectsdp, and ships. I received the classic 100 plane limit error, and thus reduced the plane count to 99. Started CFS2 again and was able to get it to work.

After that I installed the effects, objectsDB folders then in the scenerydb I installed the INF, VEH folders. I then went in to CFS2 and loaded FF agian with 99 planes.

I continued this process through installing the world texture then Rhumba's meshes, world objects and then fields.

so far I can have 99 planes active and the only folder I have not modified yet is the GSL folder.

So I am wondering, could the GSL folder in a complex CFS2 install have the effect of reducing the active plane library capacity from 99 to 59? Perhaps in the event if a complex CFS2 file was introduced without gradually building up the file.

Members +
    Hi Wulf190,

"So I am wondering, could the GSL folder in a complex CFS2 install have the effect of reducing the active plane library capacity from 99 to 59? Perhaps in the event if a complex CFS2 file was introduced without gradually building up the file."

I doubt it but give it a go and lets see, it would be interesting if it does.

Cheers :ernae:
    Lindsay

Jean bomber,

That patch is not a cure-all...MB is a no-go with aircraft/skins or ships over 100. (I think there's also an objects_dp limit of about 1,800 or so?)
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by leroy10 View Post
    Hi Wulf190,

"So I am wondering, could the GSL folder in a complex CFS2 install have the effect of reducing the active plane library capacity from 99 to 59? Perhaps in the event if a complex CFS2 file was introduced without gradually building up the file."

I doubt it but give it a go and lets see, it would be interesting if it does.

Lindsay
    I'm just guessing...

Could there be 40 static aircraft in a GSL that would add to the count in the aircraft folder?

Just finished rebuilding my GSL and I'm happy to report my current active plane limit stands at 99.

Maybe in the end as it has been said by others, just don't try to ram everything down CFS2's throat all at once.

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by Oglivie View Post
    I'm just guessing...

Could there be 40 static aircraft in a GSL that would add to the count in the aircraft folder?
    hmm, no because the GSL doesn't actually contain any objects as such, it's only the scenery layer. Like a huge bgl that covers the globe. It reads the objects from the scenedb sub folders and aircraft folders.

It could even possibly be in relation to memory limitations of CFS2.

Lindsay

Lat:N3650.1 Long:W11403.3 Elev: 1975 K67L
    Don't mean to highjack topic :salute:

Jean,

Was wondering if you knew the links to your files are broke i didn't know Gibraltar was done and would love to have it.

EDIT
    It could be that server change that Ickie was talking about looks like all AddOn's are not working I'll get the files when the AddOn shop reopens
    The Virtual Navy

"I Survived the Unpleasantness"...

Members +
    Hey Wulf190,

If you still have 99 planes installed would you mind trying something for me? I would do it myself but I have less then half a dozen planes installed.

Open your CFS2.cfg file and find the below section.

[AIRtoCONTAINER]
    SIM1=Cessna Skylane 182R RG
    SIM2=Learjet 45
    SIM3=Schweizer 2-32 Sailplane
    SIM4=Sopwith Camel
    SIM5=Extra 300S
    SIM6=Boeing 737-400

Try adding another plane and see if CFS2 will give you the 100 plane error.

EG:
    SIM7=the folder name of the plane to add

I never really knew what the [AIRtoCONTAINER] bit does, although it more then likely refers to airfiles. It's a long shot so it probably won't do anything but..... stranger things have happened my friend.

Lindsay

Wulf190 - Your experience mimics mine over the years. Regardless of what else is going in in my install, the plane limit remains 99. I can create problems by adding too many ships, or too many items in the OBJECTSDP folder, or a variety of other problems, such as bad ship DP's, but the plane limit has always remained at 99.

I used to think it varied but after installing Martin Wright's ACMAN years ago and using it to count the actual aircraft numbers I've always found 99 to be the max.

SOH-CM-2022

Another possible culprit

Hi,
    i just hit the dreaded database error as well after installing some new scenery and adding a few airplanes that I wanted to check out.

• Rolled back the airplanes - still get the errors
    • Take out a bunch more airplanes - still get the error
    • Go into the objects_dp folder and remove a bunch of files that I don't think i need (dp for german vehicles in my Pacific install etc) - still get the error
    • Remove the update to airbases.dat that I just put in - still get the error
    • Remove the updates to the mdlnames.txt that I just put in (the objects are still installed) - bingo problem goes away

Has anyone else seen this? The file isn't that big (only 36 Kb) and I run on XP.

Gavin

Hey Wulf190,

If you still have 99 planes installed would you mind trying something for me? I would do it myself but I have less then half a dozen planes installed.

Open your CFS2.cfg file and find the below section.

[AIRtoCONTAINER]
    SIM1=Cessna Skylane 182R RG
    SIM2=Learjet 45
    SIM3=Schweizer 2-32 Sailplane
    SIM4=Sopwith Camel
    SIM5=Extra 300S
    SIM6=Boeing 737-400

Try adding another plane and see if CFS2 will give you the 100 plane error.

EG:
    SIM7=the folder name of the plane to add

I never really knew what the [AIRtoCONTAINER] bit does, although it more then likely refers to airfiles. It's a long shot so it probably won't do anything but..... stranger things have happened my friend.

Lindsay
    I tried it and the sim let me load 100 planes. So I tried for 101, and I got the 100 plane limit error. I removed the 101st plane and set the .cfg entries back to stock and tried loading with 100 planes and CFS2 loaded in to FF just fine. I dunno if that's a correlation of playing with the .cfg file or not, but now I can have 100 active planes in CFS2, but the .cfg file is back to stock.

Members +
    Interesting, but I'd say that was just lucky but.... I have to ask, when you tried adding the 101st plane did you increment the SIMxx by 1?

EG:
    SIM8=folder name here
    SIM9=bla bla
    SIM10= bla bla bla

Let me have a bit of think about it because by the sounds of it when you edited the .cfg file it forced CFS2 to rewrite the aircraft to a file.. hmmm lots of thoughts spinning around my head as to why :isadizzy:

Lindsay

Have you Guys install the http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk...Weather_75.htm
    Utility.

Install it!

Start CFS2

Go to free Flight

Press the Dial Alt on your Keyboard.

A toolbar appears on the top of the screen with different options. Chose Cfo and scroll down. Pick Go to /Mission Builder

Now before you do this make sure you have more than one hundred AC on your hangar. You will see that the Mission Builder will work.

Now compare the CFS2.cfg of a original install with the CFS2.cfg of the one with this utlity install.

Maybe this will give a us a clue of what is needed to done to have than 100 planes in our Hangars?

Interesting, but I'd say that was just lucky but.... I have to ask, when you tried adding the 101st plane did you increment the SIMxx by 1?

EG:
    SIM8=folder name here
    SIM9=bla bla
    SIM10= bla bla bla

Let me have a bit of think about it because by the sounds of it when you edited the .cfg file it forced CFS2 to rewrite the aircraft to a file.. hmmm lots of thoughts spinning around my head as to why :isadizzy:

Lindsay

Yup I increased it numerically when I added in aircraft 101.

I can't wait to see how this plays out . . . ?