More Good News for FS9

Thread: More Good News for FS9

Charter Member 2011

More Good News for FS9

Well...hardly news.
    Everyone's happy with their sim, and Bill's (LION)heart is in the right place after all!

I just got so tired of seeing this one-off "More Sad News for FS9" thread surface every time I opened SOH, I thought I'd start another, to drivel on in.

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    I'm not surprised that support for FS9 has lasted as long as it has...6 1/2 years...and I don't foresee a total end to development for FS9 any time in the coming years. When a sim works right, when it feels right, when it is reliable and stable...people will stick with it.

Take a look at CFS2...10 year old...and there are still new planes being produced, scenery, mesh, missions, campaigns. 10 years old...still going strong.

Like I said, when a sim works right, feels right, is reliable and stable...people stick with it.

OBIO
    Absolutely.
    There are still releases for FS98 and FS2002 as well!
    You can tell, just from the freeware downloads, which the good sims were (and are!)

Thank you.I feel the very same way.
    "The glass is ALWAYS half full"

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    :salute::ernae:Very well said and I agree with above statements 1st post.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Bill is a man of excellent character. I hope he is successful in all that he sets out to do.

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoroth View Post
    With the Demise of Aces Studio, you don't think FSX has a limited lifespan? It's pretty much a sure bet that IF there is a next gen sim, there will be NO compatibility at ALL with FSX either.....

So why should those of us that are happy with our FS9 setups upgrade to another "dead horse".....
    There's plenty of development left in both MS sims.
    FS9 users have the additional benefit, that if they ever get tired of FS9, they can switch to a whole new sim in FSX and use up all that development, porting over their favourite FS9 stuff as they like.
    FSX users do not have that luxury

:ernae:Even I have to agree with that.....

Good one Charl, I haven't even scratched the surface of FS9 myself, after 4 years of messing, and have many more years I am sure

it all comes down to a few things in FS ( whichever is your version of choice ) just as in everything else in life :
    - enjoy , appreciate and cherish what you already have
    - look forward to what is to come for it ( weither you are aware of it or not ) .

let's face it , FS9 isn't the latest , newest , shiniest , all bell and whistle version of FS anymore , thus isn't the version of choice for most developers , freeware or payware . but there are already so many great add-ons for it that it will remain my ( and i am sure many others as well ) simulator of choice for a long time .

can't wait to see what is left in store for MS's sim workhorse that is FS9 , with many developers still working to improve on it , we are far away from witnessing the last of it .
    "Civil disobedience becomes a sacred duty when the State becomes lawless or, which is the same thing, corrupt."
    Mahatma Gandhi

those who would trade freedom in order to get safety deserve neither

Ever getting tired of FS9?
    Can't imagine this...
    But besides that, I agree to every single word stated here! :ernae:
    Cheers,
    Markus.
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: War nerves? Who said war nerves?
    The Patron: I heard it on that radio there.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: Radio's wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I agree with everything previously stated. FS9 is great!! In fact, so good it's overwhelming how much there actually is available for use with it. There's SO much. I've yet to even touch the SOH Donationware yet. I come to this area on the board daily, and there's always some new form of life sprouting up.

I still enjoy flying in FS9, and with everything that I've downloaded either payware or freeware, I still fail to see why I should "upgrade" as it's superb!
    PJ
    www.uk-warbirds.net Historic flying in the UK

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    I love my FS9. :d

When I was in FreeFlightDesign.com's forums all the time, we were getting people in with questions on how to make planes and scenery for FS98 and FS2000/FS2002. There are quite a few people over in countries like Romania and all that are running those sims.

Also, some groups are reselling old titles now. I saw FS2002 for sale at BestBuy, along with CFS3. I was tempted to get them both.

FS2002 was pretty cool as well....

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Well, I plan to stick to FS9 for the simplicity of modeling and building, at least until these are done.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Some nice looking planes there Milton!

I remember when Bill Lyons quit. It was during the Beta of FSX. I was pretty bummed. He was pretty upset that a few things were being taken out of FS via the new FSX, like interior cockpit views, etc. I remember they were even taking out VC instrument back lighting, but later (a year later?) put it back in with an update.

I cant think about this all.. It stresses me out..

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Nice WIP models Milton! As far as I am concerned FS9 still meets my needs.
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses". - Elwood
    Learn more about the mission of the Collings Foundation here - www.collingsfoundation.org
    Collings Foundation Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/collings.foundation

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Well, I plan to stick to FS9 for the simplicity of modeling and building, at least until these are done.
    Well I'd say that certainly is
    More Good News for FS9!

Charter Member 2011

100% FS9

Can't think of anywhere better to share AVSIM's front page today... :d

FS9 has some advantages over FSX. More freeware, more payware add ons, and you don't need a supercomputer to run it smoothly. I do prefer the default scenery and road traffic in FSX.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.